McKenzie: Panarin and Bobrovsky will meet with Florida on Monday

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Cool the jets, top of the bubble means a playoff team. You’re not including other teams around them getting better. Plus, nothing gells instantly.

Yep, depends on the defenseman coming in though.

True.

But I think coaching does help us improve defensively too.

And the subtraction of Jack Crapuano

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
True.

But I think coaching does help us improve defensively too.

And the subtraction of Jack Crapuano

It'll be interesting to see. I have lots of family in Florida, so even though it really sucks and it hurts to lose Panarin, I'm glad he's going to a place I can support him.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Your attempts to make others look stupid...make you look stupid. I can't understand how it can be so important for someone to hope others fail. To each their own I suppose
Fans of plenty of teams get this absolutely unreasonable hope that chasing and luring high-profile FAs is going to reverse the fortunes of the entire team that are obviously predicated on much more than a single player. Hockey is a team game and in a 7-game series, individual players essentially never win, teams do. Yet still, naive fans continue to fail to grasp this simple concept. Oh surely it’s gonna be the hotshot young GM (Dubas), no no it’s gonna be the wily veteran GM (Tallon) or former beloved player-turned GM (Yzerman), no it’s gonna be the smarter-than-everyone else veteran championship-winning coach (Babcock, Quenneville), oh wait no it’s gonna be the young hotshot AHL-dominating Coach (Boucher, Cooper). Surely the superstar FA (Tavares, Bob and Bread) will turn perrenial also-fans into contenders (Leafs, Panthers). Fans always think their team “deserves” something free from enduring continuous failure (Oilers).

I don’t need to try to make people look stupid they’re plenty endowed to do just that by themselves (your post to wit). What I will do is continue to revel in those teams failure and their fans salt. My team, the Capitals, were those same perrenial also-rans, until they weren’t. I never bemoaned their tribulations nor had any expectations that they deserved anything and then, who knew they went through the fire and came out katana. Who lured them there? That also-ran, Playoff loser of a Barry Trotz. Look no further then this year’s St. Louis Blues, worst to first. “Oh my god, Craig Berube can’t coach, he couldn’t even play.” Teams like the Panthers, Leafs, and Oilers seem to have an innate sense of superiority without any of the chops or experience to own it. I’ll never get tired of the tried and true pre-season and FA Championships on paper without having ever laced a single skate, they always provide those teams fans with such poorly-earned hope and opposing fans with such well-deserved gratification. You keep doing you, it’s always a delight when your reliable failure comes knocking.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Jeez

Welcome to the NHL where when a player leaves your favorite team they turn into absolute scrubs.

Panarin in New York/Columbus - Contenders!

Panarin in Florida - Garbage tanking talent!
My favorite team has nothing to do with this and when did Panarin play in New York? It really makes me wonder about the sense of someone who likes these kinds of posts.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Makes sense. After all Ryan O'Reilly helped Buffalo **** all so clearly he couldn't be more successful elsewhere
Was O’Reilly ever a FA the caliber of Bob or Bread? He certainly wasn’t when he went to StL. He’s also a far more complete player than either, so there’s that. I could have told you years ago O’Reilly is the type of player you win with. Bobrovsky and Panarin have a lot to learn from Ryan O’Reilly.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
My favorite team has nothing to do with this and when did Panarin play in New York? It really makes me wonder about the sense of someone who likes these kinds of posts.

giphy.gif

Reactions: klabob

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
It may cost us Hoffman.

Panarin in, defense in...Hoffman out. Losing 70 pounts in Hoffman for an 80 point player isnt really worth the extra 5 mill it will cost. You need to redo that D, that should be the 2nd priority.

Still a net positive.

Huberdeau Barkov Vatrano
Panarin Trocheck Dadonov

That's still better than what we had last year

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Was O’Reilly ever a FA the caliber of Bob or Bread? He certainly wasn’t when he went to StL. He’s also a far more complete player than either, so there’s that. I could have told you years ago O’Reilly is the type of player you win with. Bobrovsky and Panarin have a lot to learn from Ryan O’Reilly.

What exactly does Bobrovsky have to learn from O'Reilly lol

Up until this year O'Reilly made the playoffs one single time and hadn't won a round. Kuznetsov was more of a "player you win with" than he was. Hell if Maroon doesn't score in 2OT of game 7 on a play O'Reilly has nothing to do with all three of them have equal playoff success this year.

Panarin has consistently been good in the playoffs for Columbus (a team full of "complete" players like Dubois, Foligno, Jenner and Anderson everyone loves to drool over but who don't actually do shit ). Bobrovsky has underperformed, but considering he plays 65 games a year and faces better teams every time they make it to the dance it's hard to label him a choker. Florida can easily go far with both of them provided they get the kind of support O'Reilly got in St. Louis.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
What exactly does Bobrovsky have to learn from O'Reilly lol

Up until this year O'Reilly made the playoffs one single time and hadn't won a round. Kuznetsov was more of a "player you win with" than he was. Hell if Maroon doesn't score in 2OT of game 7 on a play O'Reilly has nothing to do with all three of them have equal playoff success this year.

Panarin has consistently been good in the playoffs for Columbus (a team full of "complete" players like Dubois, Foligno, Jenner and Anderson everyone loves to drool over but who don't actually do **** ). Bobrovsky has underperformed, but considering he plays 65 games a year and faces better teams every time they make it to the dance it's hard to label him a choker. Florida can easily go far with both of them provided they get the kind of support O'Reilly got in St. Louis.
Until Panarin and Bobrovsky win something they haven’t won anything and haven’t done much but chase the money. Facts.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Until Panarin and Bobrovsky win something they haven’t won anything and haven’t done much but chase the money. Facts.

So literally like RoR pre 2 weeks ago. Except he chased money to the tune of holding out to force an offer sheet as a 22 year old and then a trade to a bottom dweller just so that he could get what was at the time a huge overpayment (there's a fact for you). Unlike Panarin and Bobrovsky who played out their contracts like good soldiers and are merely going to FA like dozens of players do each year

Reactions: I am not exposed

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This.
Montembeault showed us what the team could look like if we didn't automatically give up at least 3 goals every game. He isn't, and never was, particularly good. The fanbase just fawned over him because he was the only goalie with any shred of promise in the system. In the 8 drafts between 2011-2018, the Panthers selected only 4 goalies.
Evan Cowley...the 8th goalie taken in 2013, who couldn't even hack it in the AHL
Hugo Flagerbom... the 20th goalie taken in 2014, who never even made it to the top league in Sweden (which I now know because last time I checked, around this time last year, the man didn't even have an eliteprospects page)
Ryan Bednard...the 23rd goalie taken in 2015, still in college
Sam Montembeault...the 6th goalie taken in 2015, was one of the worst starters in the AHL last season

I used to see people say, "Monty is the future" all the time around here, and it was as mind-boggling as when people would project Borgstrom to be an elite 1C. Nobody should expect Montembeault to be more than an okay back-up.

But that's the thing about the current state of the Panthers. All it would take is a mediocre goalie and a decent coach to catapult their underrated skaters into the playoffs.

I don't know about Monetmbeault, but I would take all that stuff with a grain of salt for a goaltender. You know who was really bad in the AHL? Mike Smith. When I lived in Houston and had season tickets to the Aeros we used to call him '4 goal' because he was good for giving up 4 goals a game like clockwork. He was horrible. I still don't understand how he ended up forging a decent NHL career. So, with goalies, you just never know.

Reactions: Rahooji

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So literally like RoR pre 2 weeks ago. Except he chased money to the tune of holding out to force an offer sheet as a 22 year old and then a trade to a bottom dweller just so that he could get what was at the time a huge overpayment (there's a fact for you). Unlike Panarin and Bobrovsky who played out their contracts like good soldiers and are merely going to FA like dozens of players do each year
Has Panarin ever played on a team in the NHL in which he didn’t essentially 100% control the terms? Played out their contracts? Panarin has effectively had a single NHL contract in which he was making Big Boy money, there was no reason to hold out or force an offer sheet because he never played under an ELC. I get it you're a fanboy but I don’t expect any team that signs these two players to magically find the success that has miraculously eluded them during their time in CBus.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Has Panarin ever played on a team in the NHL in which he didn’t essentially 100% control the terms? Played out their contracts? Panarin has effectively had a single NHL contract in which he was making Big Boy money, there was no reason to hold out or force an offer sheet because he never played under an ELC. I get it you're a fanboy but I don’t expect any team that signs these two players to magically find the success that has miraculously eluded them during their time in CBus.

Dude, wtf is your deal?? You carry on, but none of it makes sense. Don’t put hopes in a new coach, GM, or FA? Don’t get excited about anything! Ever!! Cause...why again? No player has ever done well elsewhere?? Gone further?

You were called out and your replies to it are hilarious. I know, you’re just gonna throw a bunch more nonsensical words in as a reply.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

???

He signed cheaply with a contender and got traded to a middling team. He's been underpaid every year of his career so far. He never signed a 3 year ELC because ... Wait for it ... No team ever drafted him or offered to sign him until he was 24. And he still signed a 2 year ELC just like another certain Russian you may be familiar with. Except he played out both years of it instead of burning the first one

If I was a fanboy I'd do something like hold players I like to completely different and arbitrary standards over those I don't, like you do with Panarin/Bob and ROR

No idea how you can harp on success "eluding" them in Columbus when freaking Ovechkin with a far better cast was one lucky bounce away in game 3OT against Columbus last year from having as much team "success".

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
upload_2019-6-24_9-34-16.png

Weird

Reactions: BabyBarkov

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Fans of plenty of teams get this absolutely unreasonable hope that chasing and luring high-profile FAs is going to reverse the fortunes of the entire team that are obviously predicated on much more than a single player. Hockey is a team game and in a 7-game series, individual players essentially never win, teams do. Yet still, naive fans continue to fail to grasp this simple concept. Oh surely it’s gonna be the hotshot young GM (Dubas), no no it’s gonna be the wily veteran GM (Tallon) or former beloved player-turned GM (Yzerman), no it’s gonna be the smarter-than-everyone else veteran championship-winning coach (Babcock, Quenneville), oh wait no it’s gonna be the young hotshot AHL-dominating Coach (Boucher, Cooper). Surely the superstar FA (Tavares, Bob and Bread) will turn perrenial also-fans into contenders (Leafs, Panthers). Fans always think their team “deserves” something free from enduring continuous failure (Oilers).

I don’t need to try to make people look stupid they’re plenty endowed to do just that by themselves (your post to wit). What I will do is continue to revel in those teams failure and their fans salt. My team, the Capitals, were those same perrenial also-rans, until they weren’t. I never bemoaned their tribulations nor had any expectations that they deserved anything and then, who knew they went through the fire and came out katana. Who lured them there? That also-ran, Playoff loser of a Barry Trotz. Look no further then this year’s St. Louis Blues, worst to first. “Oh my god, Craig Berube can’t coach, he couldn’t even play.” Teams like the Panthers, Leafs, and Oilers seem to have an innate sense of superiority without any of the chops or experience to own it. I’ll never get tired of the tried and true pre-season and FA Championships on paper without having ever laced a single skate, they always provide those teams fans with such poorly-earned hope and opposing fans with such well-deserved gratification. You keep doing you, it’s always a delight when your reliable failure comes knocking.
Hahaha

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario

IMO, Florida expecting to win the cup with the 2 big FA’s is, I’d say, unreasonable, but not for having increased optimism and hope for greater success.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida

I don’t need to try to make people look stupid they’re plenty endowed to do just that by themselves (your post to wit). What I will do is continue to revel in those teams failure and their fans salt. My team, the Capitals, were those same perrenial also-rans, until they weren’t. I never bemoaned their tribulations nor had any expectations that they deserved anything and then, who knew they went through the fire and came out katana. Who lured them there? That also-ran, Playoff loser of a Barry Trotz. Look no further then this year’s St. Louis Blues, worst to first. “Oh my god, Craig Berube can’t coach, he couldn’t even play.” Teams like the Panthers, Leafs, and Oilers seem to have an innate sense of superiority without any of the chops or experience to own it. I’ll never get tired of the tried and true pre-season and FA Championships on paper without having ever laced a single skate, they always provide those teams fans with such poorly-earned hope and opposing fans with such well-deserved gratification.

i'm confused about this wall of superfluous text. maybe its the straw man, maybe its the rant comparing the panthers to the leafs. GM's will pitch their offer and panarin will take it or he won't. with or without him, we have a chance at a cup-just like STL, WSH and TOR. it may be argued that adding panarin increases the probability.

let's be clear about one thing. it's been difficult having ownership that has not been serious about winning in over 20 years and on top of that, support a team that most of the league considers irrelevant and gets just about 0 local media coverage. this is the first time in franchise history i can recall ownership putting their money where their mouth is. there is a big opportunity in south florida if they win-the heat and dolphins are trash. more than anything else, the actions of the ownership are worth getting excited for as a florida fan; they symbolize a new paradigm for this team. we don't need you to be excited about it. if you actively want us to lose because we are excited that we just might be taken seriously for once, that is your business.

You keep doing you, it’s always a delight when your reliable failure comes knocking.

just wow.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
And then in the playoffs? Playoff Bob is a thing. He has some work to do on his reputation in the post season.
So did Ovechkin, only needed one year to turn that reputation around.

Winning the Cup is the hardest accomplishment in sports, I love how some people think its easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad