McKenzie: Panarin and Bobrovsky will meet with Florida on Monday

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Bob being the priority is interesting. Thought for sure it would be Panarin. Especially given that Bob will want a longterm deal (5 years+ at crazy money) and they just picked Knight...
I don't think a team that wants to win now is going to wait on addressing an issue because of a prospect who might be ready in 2-3 years.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Bob being the priority is interesting. Thought for sure it would be Panarin. Especially given that Bob will want a longterm deal (5 years+ at crazy money) and they just picked Knight...

Knight is at least three years away. Having Bob as our starter for 5 years, then ease Knight in, is probably the plan. Bob is the more pressing of the two, but make no mistake, they want both.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't think a team that wants to win now is going to wait on addressing an issue because of a prospect who might be ready in 2-3 years.

Not saying that. But I personally thought they would end up with a cheaper version in Varlamov instead if Bob is too costly and they have to choose between the two. Especially if Lu hangs around...
They also will have to free up capspace somehow if they want to sign both.
Should be an interesting week to come in Florida...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Knight won’t be ready to make an NHL impact for at least 3 years, more likely 4-6.

He might be the Panthers future of goaltending, but they need someone to get them from the present to the future.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I have no idea why any team would pay big $ for a goalie in today's NHL. Anything over $7/per or so is ludicrous when you look at replacement value and where $ can be better spent on the roster, generally.

Sure, there are some exceptions, but I thought original rumors were Bob wanted $9/per? Any GM giving a goalie that $ in this cap NHL is an idiot. Now factor in a high pick on a goalie, why would you give $ AND term to Bob?

I don't understand how this makes any sense unless it's like 5 years at $7/yr. And that should be the max for both term and $.

Reactions: Goulet17

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I have no idea why any team would pay big $ for a goalie in today's NHL. Anything over $7/per or so is ludicrous when you look at replacement value and where $ can be better spent on the roster, generally.

Sure, there are some exceptions, but I thought original rumors were Bob wanted $9/per? Any GM giving a goalie that $ in this cap NHL is an idiot. Now factor in a high pick on a goalie, why would you give $ AND term to Bob?

I don't understand how this makes any sense unless it's like 5 years at $7/yr. And that should be the max for both term and $.

Bobrovsky with that core is pretty much guaranteed playoff appearances for most of his contract. Columbus is fairly stingy with their contracts but I doubt you'll find anyone in the fanbase/organization who was unhappy with Bobrovsky making 7 million+ the last few years even back when the cap was 10 mil lower.

That said risking a platoon with Montembeault as 1B/lower pedigree 1A (Mrazek/Greiss/Smith/whoever) until Knight is ready would save them a ton of money they could sink into defense. Could have traded for Subban and done that.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Figured it was a devils fan. Let me explain. Goaltending is important. It’s not as easy as you think to get a very good one in their prime. Bob is a vezina goalie and that team is stacked with Panarin. Where I agree with you is on D. They need several pieces their to match their forwards and goalie. It could undue everything for their plans. These playoffs proved it important again.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They really need a goalie.

If Panarin wants to stay with Bob Florida is the only option.

Florida has zero superstar contracts on the roster, if they become a regular playoff team it's easily worth it to them.

& they could have a top goalie prospect on cheap contracts balancing out the cap in 3-4 years time.

Not a chance I'd put money on Knight being ready to be a legit starter in a contender in 2-3 years time.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Figured it was a devils fan. Let me explain. Goaltending is important. It’s not as easy as you think to get a very good one in their prime. Bob is a vezina goalie and that team is stacked with Panarin. Where I agree with you is on D. They need several pieces their to match their forwards and goalie. It could undue everything for their plans. These playoffs proved it important again.

Not even several, just a #4 RD to go behind Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson.

They could get Zaitsev for free to be their #4 and their defense would be set.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Has nothing to do with being a Devs' fan...has to do with analytics, cap management, and $ value for position/production.

If anything, you being a Flyers fan gives you a very skewed view on this, right? At least the goaltending woes finally seem to be coming to an end...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Florida is going to become the new Minnesota with these signings. Book it.

I think they have a core in place that should allow them to turn into a contender, moreso than Minnesota at that time.

Their D would still be suspect though.

Reactions: Regal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad