Friedman: Palmieri re-signing with the Islanders

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As an isles fan who watches both play, I respectfully disagree.

I love Eberle and wish him the best, and in certain respects he is superior to Palmieri, but I think the latter very much gels better with the isles identity and in a cap world where we have to choose one, I go with his grit over Jordan's skill.

Both are solid leaders.

That's why I think Eberle will be missed. They need more skill and less grit.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Neat. I would’ve kept Ebs.

Palmieri is just the much better fit. Ebelre is ridiculous skilled but he’s not great along the boards and can’t play defense. Trotz system I don’t think was the best for his game and talent.
Palmieri once he got comfortable with the isles for like a glove.

I would take Palmieri over ebelre for the isles and I’m happy Lou made this choice as well. Also, Palmieri is younger than Eberle. Not by a huge amount but about a year. People seem to think because of Palmieris beard he’s a lot older

Reactions: buud

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Eberle is amazing when he is on. He vanishes for long stretches and other than his elite backhand has no much going for him. Seriously he has a deadly backhand that he has not utilized enough.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Eberle is amazing when he is on. He vanishes for long stretches and other than his elite backhand has no much going for him. Seriously he has a deadly backhand that he has not utilized enough.
The last time we had an elite backhand, he signed a huge contract in Buffalo, regressed fast (due to injury unfortunately) and now they can’t get rid of him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Palmieri is just the much better fit. Ebelre is ridiculous skilled but he’s not great along the boards and can’t play defense. Trotz system I don’t think was the best for his game and talent.
Palmieri once he got comfortable with the isles for like a glove.

I would take Palmieri over ebelre for the isles and I’m happy Lou made this choice as well. Also, Palmieri is younger than Eberle. Not by a huge amount but about a year. People seem to think because of Palmieris beard he’s a lot older

I guess. Or Palmieri had a couple good weeks in the playoffs and sucked ass the rest of his time in NYI and Eberle is one of the better wingers in the league.

But, good luck. Either way I'm happy as a PIT fan I no longer have to see Eberle.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I guess. Or Palmieri had a couple good weeks in the playoffs and sucked ass the rest of his time in NYI and Eberle is one of the better wingers in the league.

But, good luck. Either way I'm happy as a PIT fan I no longer have to see Eberle.

lol it all makes sense now. Eberles best isles moments came against the pens. He was a beast against them in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You must only watch Eberle play when it's against the Pens. I'm not seeing the same Eberle you keep referencing, and honestly, neither is his career production matching what you're describing.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
He has a history of being a big dog in the playoffs outside of the Pens series. As I said, he was one of the few players to dial it up in the conference finals both years for the Isles.
not sure what you are watching, Mr. Eberle, but i think the vast majority disagree with you.

this is not a case of Palmieri being so much better, it's that he has a better style for the PO's.

come the tough going, Palmieri gets the nod.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
and Eberle is one of the better wingers in the league.

giphy.gif

Like you think he is top 10/50/100. He had 33 pts later year he is probably outside of the top 100 wingers. I am too lazy to look but I would put money on 100 WINGERS having more points.

Reactions: Konk and miscs75

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
giphy.gif

Like you think he is top 10/50/100. He had 33 pts later year he is probably outside of the top 100 wingers. I am too lazy to look but I would put money on 100 WINGERS having more points.

not sure what you are watching, Mr. Eberle, but i think the vast majority disagree with you.

this is not a case of Palmieri being so much better, it's that he has a better style for the PO's.

come the tough going, Palmieri gets the nod.

You must only watch Eberle play when it's against the Pens. I'm not seeing the same Eberle you keep referencing, and honestly, neither is his career production matching what you're describing.

Do you guys view Riley Smith as one of the better RWs in the league?

Over the last two seasons Eberle and him have an identical PPG in the playoffs and regular season.. I'm not saying he is a top ten talent, but dude is a gamer.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale

Over the last two seasons Eberle and him have an identical PPG in the playoffs and regular season.. I'm not saying he is a top ten talent, but dude is a gamer.

Are you his cousin or agent? I have no issue with him and he has one of the legit top 10 goal songs on youtube. I would have rather lost someone else in the expansion draft but he most certainly is not one of the better wingers in the league.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

No? Unless you have a very generous definition of what it means to be "one of the better wingers in the league".

Usually that phrase invokes names of players who regularly produce in the 60+ point range, not just any winger who happens to be able to play a top six role.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No? Unless you have a very generous definition of what it means to be "one of the better wingers in the league".

Usually that phrase invokes names of players who regularly produce in the 60+ point range, not just any winger who happens to be able to play a top six role.

I guess we are on different pages here when it comes to Eberle.

Only way we will see is what happens with NYI.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I guess we are on different pages here when it comes to Eberle.

Only way we will see is what happens with NYI.

I mean, I'm not saying he sucks or that he provides zero value. I just don't see the same impact winger you seem to be describing. He's a 50-ish point winger who doesn't provide any defense or physicality. Not a bad player by any stretch, but not someone who I'd ever consider "one of the better wingers in the league" either.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, I'm not saying he sucks or that he provides zero value. I just don't see the same impact winger you seem to be describing. He's a 50-ish point winger who doesn't provide any defense or physicality. Not a bad player by any stretch, but not someone who I'd ever consider "one of the better wingers in the league" either.

19th amongst RWs at 5v5 over the last two seasons.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
19th amongst RWs at 5v5 over the last two seasons.

Is that supposed to be good? Especially considering he doesn't bring anything else to the table, such as defensive play, PK ability or physicality. That means 18 right wingers produced more than him, and that doesn't include RW who maybe produce slightly less but add other dimensions to the game.

I'd argue that a one-dimensional winger whose only job it is to produce ranking all the way down at 19th among RWs (not even total wingers) is actually proof he's not what you're describing him as. For a player who only adds offense and nothing else, they should probably be top 10 at their position if they're going to be called "one of the better RW in the league".

Reactions: PWJunior

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Is that supposed to be good? Especially considering he doesn't bring anything else to the table, such as defensive play, PK ability or physicality. That means 18 right wingers produced more than him, and that doesn't include RW who maybe produce slightly less but add other dimensions to the game.

I'd argue that a one-dimensional winger whose only job it is to produce ranking all the way down at 19th among RWs (not even total wingers) is actually proof he's not what you're describing him as. For a player who only adds offense and nothing else, they should probably be top 10 at their position if they're going to be called "one of the better RW in the league".
I think he must have burned the Pens too many times in the playoffs and now it's burned in his mind that Eberle is some elite player :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad