Friedman: Palmieri re-signing with the Islanders

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
So is Palmieri to the Islanders a done deal that Lou has locked in a drawer? Or is there a possibility he still goes elsewhere? Av's still need a good winger and he is one of the few left.

nothing is ever “done” until it’s signed but it’s obvious they have a verbal agreement with Palms and multiple other players.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What's the hold up? Thought he was already resigning on free agency day.
4CCE7FF7-C487-470A-A6D2-AE034703E357.jpeg

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Betting toffoli deal give or take, 4 years 4.25 maybe cause more cap space this year league wide

So 4 years 4.5 million give or take .25 million.
Id be surprised if Kyle comes in at below 5m AAV

hes worked too hard to get to free agency to not make more than his last contract. Even for a chance at a Cup, one only gets a single chance at a big payday in this league

Reactions: buud

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eberle was borderline irrelevant in the playoffs this year. His backhand goal was the only thing I think he did all playoffs.

Palmieri had 0 points in the conference finals.

Removing the skill element Ebs brings to the Isles will effect them more significantly than people think. That being said, with Eberle gone I guess it forces Palms on Barzal's line.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Id be surprised if Kyle comes in at below 5m AAV

hes worked too hard to get to free agency to not make more than his last contract. Even for a chance at a Cup, one only gets a single chance at a big payday in this league

When I think Palmieri comparables I think

Brandon Saad
Tyler Toffoli
Mike Hoffman

All 3 got between 4.25 and 4.5, maybe he can get 5 but that would be more than market value imo given the Covid Cap

Reactions: Mac Attack

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The good thing about Ebs is he doesn't need a center to succeed.

Whatever, guess we will see how this plays out. I think fans that are happy losing Eberle are in for a surprise.
The loss of Eberle means Bailey gets to stay which is a huge plus for the Isles. Josh leaving would leave a gaping hole that no one can really fill from within.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The loss of Eberle means Bailey gets to stay which is a huge plus for the Isles. Josh leaving would leave a gaping hole that no one can really fill from within.

Yeah, I'd be happy to lose Eberle over Bailey, agree 100%.

That being said they protected Clutterbuck and Martin over both which is absolutely asinine.

I get the idea though, they needed cap space because of Beau, Pelech, and Sorokin.

And they've got Wahlstrom coming up, I just don't think he is the kind of player that is going to help with what Eberle is going to cause missing

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Yeah, I'd be happy to lose Eberle over Bailey, agree 100%.

That being said they protected Clutterbuck and Martin over both which is absolutely asinine.

I get the idea though, they needed cap space because of Beau, Pelech, and Sorokin.

And they've got Wahlstrom coming up, I just don't think he is the kind of player that is going to help with what Eberle is going to cause missing
They protected them so Casey has an incentive to stay. I understand why Lou did it but like you said, it’s asinine. Wahlstrom might be the resolution from within to replace Eberle on the 1st line as a shooter.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Did you hear the rumor Cizikas and Seattle were very close to agreeing to a contract? Curious what happens there.
I saw it awhile back. Toronto contacted him as well. Apparently the ask was north of $5m but I could be wrong. Insane number for a bottom 6 center (a very good one albeit) then again, crazier deals have happened.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wasn't it announced on the first day of free agency last year that Martin and Schneider were signing with the Islanders, but the team didn't tweet it until like a week or two before the season started? :laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think there's a good chance it's a little bit under 5M. They're so close to winning and for him after spending half a decade on shitty teams, getting that experience late in the season, he's probably willing to leave some money on the table to feel it again with the same group of guys.

And it's not like he's that good that the Isles absolutely have to go out of their way to keep him and i think he understands that. 21 points in 51 games this past regular season wasn't the greatest showing in a contract year, even if he had 7 goals in the playoffs.

Reactions: Gurglesons

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think there's a good chance it's a little bit under 5M. They're so close to winning and for him after spending half a decade on shitty teams, getting that experience late in the season, he's probably willing to leave some money on the table to feel it again with the same group of guys.

And it's not like he's that good that the Isles absolutely have to go out of their way to keep him and i think he understands that. 21 points in 51 games this past regular season wasn't the greatest showing in a contract year, even if he had 7 goals in the playoffs.

If I had to guess he probably will take a little less salary but get an extra year or 2 added on(he should only get like a 4 X 5M contract at best)

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Neat. I would’ve kept Ebs.
As an isles fan who watches both play, I respectfully disagree.

I love Eberle and wish him the best, and in certain respects he is superior to Palmieri, but I think the latter very much gels better with the isles identity and in a cap world where we have to choose one, I go with his grit over Jordan's skill.

Both are solid leaders.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What's the hold up? Thought he was already resigning on free agency day.
Wanting to get Tarasenko?
Kinda' like when they re-signed Lee. Fall back option. (Although, I think this was more trying to fit both). They have a several players to sign and I think they want to be sure where the money is getting allocated before making a long term decision that might cost them another player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad