Recalled/Assigned: Pakarinen recalled, RNH on IR

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So yeah. Not on the good side. 5 to 6 weeks is probably optimistic if he actually cracked his ribs.

Chest injuries are tough to heal because your chest is always moving, damn breathing. Lots of rest and/or a chest cast. Hard to stay in shape and very easy to reinjure as well if not 100%.

Not a doctor just what ive heard from doctors when dealing with my own chest injuries.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Probably won't even be able to stay in any kind of shape either without causing pain. So out 5-6 weeks. Probably back up to 100% playing ability in 8-10
Could be, I don't know if these guys fall off as hard as the standard person, I would say 7-8 weeks to 100%, again, it's a tough tough loss. And I feel bad for Nuge, having a strong bounce back season and seeing it get derailed here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Could be, I don't know if these guys fall off as hard as the standard person, I would say 7-8 weeks to 100%, again, it's a tough tough loss. And I feel bad for Nuge, having a strong bounce back season and seeing it get derailed here.
Well I mean its going from high end athlete to sitting down playing video games for 5-6 weeks. That massive drop off in activity can hurt ya quick.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Well I mean its going from high end athlete to sitting down playing video games for 5-6 weeks. That massive drop off in activity can hurt ya quick.

It's a good thing motion controls exist now so that video game time can still get the heart pumping. And maybe NHL 18 can keep his skills sharp!

Shame to see him go down, especially when his bounce back has been one of the bright spots in a season that really needs them.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Mclellan should probably just shut the f*** up when it comes to discussing injuries at pressers from this point on.

Reactions: McDaddy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So I'm curious if the Oilers seek out a Center for the duration of the season, and I am calling that Nuge will be out majority of season and/or coming back not 100%.

it would be wise to try to come up with some substitution. Lets not go full Sekera again on this one. Although an indication of whether the Oilers are drowning or swimming can be had subsequent to the announcement of this injury and what it brings. I'm also a tad bit suspicious. A hockey club with the utmost medical resources and instant results takes close to a week to determine cracked ribs. That this has gone from Nuge bruised, is OK, to bruised sternum, to now cracked Ribs and out 5-7weeks is odd. Of course as Oiler fans we are accustomed to such. But they already wasted a week and Nuge is in Hawaii. I do realize that teams can't mandate anything during the NHLPA arranged team breaks but its all a bit disappointing we are hearing this now rather than several days ago. The game was Saturday, this is Friday and the team is now aware of this.

ps Nuge should stay in Hawaii for the duration. Nothing worse than Winter in Edmonton, chronic infections, and coughing while having cracked ribs. Hawaii much more of a perfect climate. The team has been so prone to infections this season its just good advice. Stay in Hawaii, medical costs will be more, probably have to be covered over and above as injury was incurred prior to flight (would not be covered on travel insurance if he had booked any)

I'm sick again as I write this, blasted cold, no cracked ribs though, and that would be hell. Really if I'm Nuge I'm probably willing to pay out of pocket for some medical monitoring just to stay in Hawaii..Wish I was there now and away from Flu province.

anyway, sorry for the tangent

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s not quite the three months I predicted after it happened, but 5-6 weeks will be bad enough. I’ve cracked my ribs before. It’s no fun.

Only if you like the feeling of being stabbed with a dagger everytime you take in a deep breath. Or feel like waving a white flag and saying No Mas everytime you cough. Stay away from the dressingroom in anycase. Trust me you don't want a nagging cough of any type while having cracked or broken ribs. yikes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So I'm curious if the Oilers seek out a Center for the duration of the season, and I am calling that Nuge will be out majority of season and/or coming back not 100%.

it would be wise to try to come up with some substitution. Lets not go full Sekera again on this one. Although an indication of whether the Oilers are drowning or swimming can be had subsequent to the announcement of this injury and what it brings. I'm also a tad bit suspicious. A hockey club with the utmost medical resources and instant results takes close to a week to determine cracked ribs. That this has gone from Nuge bruised, is OK, to bruised sternum, to now cracked Ribs and out 5-7weeks is odd. Of course as Oiler fans we are accustomed to such. But they already wasted a week and Nuge is in Hawaii. I do realize that teams can't mandate anything during the NHLPA arranged team breaks but its all a bit disappointing we are hearing this now rather than several days ago. The game was Saturday, this is Friday and the team is now aware of this.

ps Nuge should stay in Hawaii for the duration. Nothing worse than Winter in Edmonton, chronic infections, and coughing while having cracked ribs. Hawaii much more of a perfect climate. The team has been so prone to infections this season its just good advice. Stay in Hawaii, medical costs will be more, probably have to be covered over and above as injury was incurred prior to flight (would not be covered on travel insurance if he had booked any)

I'm sick again as I write this, blasted cold, no cracked ribs though, and that would be hell. Really if I'm Nuge I'm probably willing to pay out of pocket for some medical monitoring just to stay in Hawaii..Wish I was there now and away from Flu province.

anyway, sorry for the tangent
What's the point of moving assets for a center when the season is done? Not worth it.
If it was going into next season than maybe but not for this year.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Only if you like the feeling of being stabbed with a dagger everytime you take in a deep breath. Or feel like waving a white flag and saying No Mas everytime you cough. Stay away from the dressingroom in anycase. Trust me you don't want a nagging cough of any type while having cracked or broken ribs. yikes.

Yep, coughing was the worst in my experience. Every time it happens it feels like your lungs are trying to push through your cracked ribs. Which, actually, I think they are.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well, if there was any doubt as to whether we should be sellers or not, this seals the deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sadly we dont have much to sell, Maroon we probably wont get much for, Letestu...how will we ever survive after, thats about it.

One of our depth defensemen could fetch a pick as well. Maybe Sleppy too. We don't have much but we may as well get after it and acquire assets to trade later.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
In all fairness I think our team is better than some when it comes to announcing injuries. Other clubs just put out the old upper/ lower body injury.

As for replacing Nuge at this point in the season is pointless. I don't think Nuge was on the trade block anyways. No one is giving the Oilers fair value these days. Grabbing a centre to replace RNH on a season where we're not making the playoffs might turn out being a waste of assets.

On the other hand, if something comes up that makes sense in replacing Letestu next year if in fact he might be on the way out, then I have no problem with it. A move has to be for something that helps us for next season, not just for the time RNH is going to be out of the lineup.

Reactions: ujju2

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Gives an excuse for Chia and McLellan to keep their jobs pretty much no matter what happens now.

Injury riddled season ... Sekera, Larsson, Klefa, Nuge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad