Recalled/Assigned: Pakarinen recalled, RNH on IR

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Feral Pine Marten on I.R.? NOOOOOOOOOO.

Only positive is that Chia can't trade him for a third liner at the deadline.

Reactions: ujju2

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
same old same old....and if a d-man goes down, Gryba comes right back up. yup, let's not give Joey Laleggia a try and see if he can replace Nuge and his 16 goals short term or anything, right Chia? :thumbd:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the faulin for dauhlin (sp?) makes no sense. Even the best pick only gets s 20% shot at him. I'd hope that whatever the pick is, it will just be a trade chip

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
the faulin for dauhlin (sp?) makes no sense. Even the best pick only gets s 20% shot at him. I'd hope that whatever the pick is, it will just be a trade chip
Off topic I know, but a trade chip for what? The Oilers aren't going to have the cap space to make any additions in the summer.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Off topic I know, but a trade chip for what? The Oilers aren't going to have the cap space to make any additions in the summer.
maybe the pick + a good player with a decent cap hit.

And maybe we create a new hole somewhere, to fill a more important hole elsewhere, and do a better job of it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I guess they'll get a first hand look on what the team will look like if they trade him.
Not really. Not unless they traded him without getting anything back that would contribute to the roster. Not that such a deal by our esteemed GM is unheard of.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
What would Edmonton really do if they got the Dahlin pick? I don't think they would even consider trading him.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Feel bad for RNH. Things were going very nicely for him so far this season.
Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Think he'll be back soonish. It's just a bruise so give it a few weeks and he'll be back I'm sure. Doesn't matter anyways as EDM is done for the year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully this means Puljujarvi back up with McDavid and Drai centering his own line again.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
What would Edmonton really do if they got the Dahlin pick? I don't think they would even consider trading him.

It would be extremely difficult for the Oilers in terms of cap management if they pick top 5 again. ELC bonuses would have to be "managed". If they got #1OA I honestly dont know what they would do. They probably would have to trade the pick or bury Dahlin until they could afford having him in the line up.

People complain about Chiarelli not using cap space after the Eberle trade but I dont doubt part of the plan was picking up rentals at the trade deadline to make a cup push. The first might even have gotten involved.

With a proper team that makes the playoffs its very important to have cost controled young prospects that have low ELC bonus capacity.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They would have Dahlin on their top pairing next season if they get the no.1 overall pick, who are we kidding.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It would be extremely difficult for the Oilers in terms of cap management if they pick top 5 again. ELC bonuses would have to be "managed". If they got #1OA I honestly dont know what they would do. They probably would have to trade the pick or bury Dahlin until they could afford having him in the line up.

People complain about Chiarelli not using cap space after the Eberle trade but I dont doubt part of the plan was picking up rentals at the trade deadline to make a cup push. The first might even have gotten involved.

With a proper team that makes the playoffs its very important to have cost controled young prospects that have low ELC bonus capacity.

If you get Dahlin you celebrate and worry about cap implications later. The kid is a phenomenal defenseman. The best prospect on the back end I can remember in decades. That does not mean he turns out to be the best since defensemen are much harder to predict than forwards. But it would surprise me immensely if he would not end up being one of the Oilers three best defensemen of all time if they get him.

As for the bonus issue it is less of a concern than one might think. With McDavid and Nurse's bonus off the books the Oilers would be under the bonus cushion so for next year specifically they would have relatively little problem. It's very hard for a rookie defenseman to hit his schedule B bonuses outside of the $212K bonus for the Calder. But that does not count against the cap since players cannot negotiate individual bonuses for the Calder. So chances are even the carry over risk is minimal going into 2019-2020 unless Puljujarvi takes off and scores either 25+ goals or gets 70+ points.

Reactions: Summary

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nuge is out 5-6 weeks...im excited for the even worse quality of hockey we are going to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad