Recalled/Assigned: Pakarinen recalled and Miller sent down

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Eberle can't come back soon enough. With no offense to Miller, Klinkhammer, Pakarinen, Hendricks etc....

If we're going to keep slotting in 4th liners/AHLers on the top line, the top line will continue to struggle to score goals.

If McLellan is deadset on getting a grinding 3rd player for that line Chiarelli is going to need to go out there and make a trade for a legit NHLer. Because these guys just don't cut it.

Agreed. If we need a banger to play with RNH and Hall then I think that we'll need to get that player from outside of the organization. Miller IMO was a bad fit for that line, but unless Pakarinen shows better than he did last season I suspect that we'll see Hall and RNH continue to not do too well offensively at ES.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think given that the Oilers are playing the Capitals Friday who are one the biggest/heaviest teams in the league that it makes more sense to have Pakarinen in the lineup than Miller. Good player personnel decision.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Love this move. No point bringing Leon up this early. Let him get going down there. He's shown nothing at the AHL level that deserves a call up. Not saying Pakarinen has but he's just here for a cup of coffee during injuries and will be sent back.

IMO Leon is ready, but I don't like calling guys up when they aren't accomplishing much at the AHL level. Until he picks his game up and starts getting some points he's better served in the AHL.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
IMO Leon is ready, but I don't like calling guys up when they aren't accomplishing much at the AHL level. Until he picks his game up and starts getting some points he's better served in the AHL.

I agree. I just think if we bring Leon up. It's for good. It's a roster spot. It's not up and down and up and down due to injuries. That's what guys like Miller and Pakarinen are for.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He is replacing Jordan Eberle not Milan Lucic.

Seems odd coming from a guy who has said for years that the Oilers need more physicality in the top 6. He is not replacing Eberle as much as trying to add the best compliment to Hall and RNH based on the pieces that are available. They dont need a playmaker to carry the puck and set them up, they need a digger to get in the corners and win puck battles and crash the net for rebounds.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree. I just think if we bring Leon up. It's for good. It's a roster spot. It's not up and down and up and down due to injuries. That's what guys like Miller and Pakarinen are for.

My take as well, bring him up when he's ready to be a full time guy and a positive contributor.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we're grabbing at straws a bit here for sure. I never saw much teammate awareness from Pak while he was on the NHL club, which is the mark of a low ceiling player.

However, he did have some extended success with Lander if I recall correctly. I'll always cheer for whoever the Oilers decide to try out. Just like with Ference, I do want him to play well. It adds to our team if we have good options around. That could be Pak for sure.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Finally my boy gets the call.

He is legit. Plays a solid two way game but has great i.q and talent to contribute more often than not.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Finally my boy gets the call.

He is legit. Plays a solid two way game but has great i.q and talent to contribute more often than not.

When Eberle comes back I hope Pakman makes it a hard decision who gets sent down. I like him in a bottom six role a lot better than Purcell. He hits hard and can be a bit of a pest too.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Are you assuming that Pakarinen is more nhl ready than Draisaitl?

Im saying that "the he needs time to develop" mantra is specious reasoning at best, plain ole bumfoolery at worst.

From where I sit he looks like the best option to play with those two and get something going for them. Because they need something or someone to get them going. Ill put my money on Draisaitl helping with that more than Pakarinen.

Nothing says Draisaitl cant go back down to Bakersfield when Eberle returns in a week or two.

Actually Chiarelli said that when we call up Drai he's going to stay for good, your wrong to assume that "nothing says".

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
When Eberle comes back I hope Pakman makes it a hard decision who gets sent down. I like him in a bottom six role a lot better than Purcell. He hits hard and can be a bit of a pest too.

Maybe Pakarinen can accidentally collide with Purcell then and ensure [insure?:naughty:] his roster spot

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Also, I dunno why many are against this move. Draisaitl hasn't shown much against AHL calibre players [let alone NHL]...extra seasoning time will do him good down there.

For all we know, him up a few games and nothing to show for may be more detrimental to his game than anything else.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pakarinen being a better skater and playing with more energy makes me think he'd be a better complement to our top group of forwards than Draisaitl at the moment. IMO he is more NHL ready than Draisaitl. I don't think he has anywhere near Draisaitl's potential, but he is more ready right now. If Draisaitl was a better skater, he'd absolutely be ready in my mind. The fact that he isn't near as good a skater as our other top-end forwards leads me to believe that he'd have a hard time generating much at this point though.

Its all about fit and the fact the Pakarinen is an older player which makes him more mentally ready. He is a big body who is strong along the boards which is exactly what the RNH line needs. Better this than playing Klinkhammer on that line.

I am not at all sure how he has been doing in the AHL though. :dunno:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Has Drai really not shown much in the AHL or are people just stat watching?

All reviews and writeups have been raving about Draisaitl, but the points simply have not been there yet.

I can't say I've seen the games, but the narrative that he's been poor seems to be a fallacy:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...nell-nurse-best-players-in-bakersfield-so-far

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...nding-out-in-bakersfield-so-far-darnell-nurse

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...t-oilers-call-up-no-surprise-to-condors-coach

McDeathbyCheerios*

All reviews and writeups have been raving about Draisaitl, but the points simply have not been there yet.

I can't say I've seen the games, but the narrative that he's been poor seems to be a fallacy:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...nell-nurse-best-players-in-bakersfield-so-far

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...nding-out-in-bakersfield-so-far-darnell-nurse

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...t-oilers-call-up-no-surprise-to-condors-coach
He has been fine but Chia straight up said they will call Drai up when he is ready to be on the big team for sure. They don't want him bouncing around

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

"Needs to assert himself more, play with more confidence and with a bit more of an edge on defence. Must always make sure he’s on the right side of his man in the d-zone."

“Last game Leon played hard, did the things we asked him to do without the puck. He’s always been able to make plays but he has to work on his awareness,†said Fleming, who has been told to play Draisaitl only in the middle. “He was a little better last game (a loss to San Jose Barracuda). Hopefully it’s a step in the right direction.â€

Doesn't say he's been poor but all three articles you linked say that he isn't ready and need to improve basic parts of his game in order to be a reliable NHL.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are you assuming that Pakarinen is more nhl ready than Draisaitl?

Im saying that "the he needs time to develop" mantra is specious reasoning at best, plain ole bumfoolery at worst.

From where I sit he looks like the best option to play with those two and get something going for them. Because they need something or someone to get them going. Ill put my money on Draisaitl helping with that more than Pakarinen.

Nothing says Draisaitl cant go back down to Bakersfield when Eberle returns in a week or two.

From a developmental POV it's likely Draisaitl is in Bakersfield because the Oilers would like him to be a center at the NHL level. And his stat line suggests he hasn't exact;y set the world on fire at this point. Having him come up and play wing in the NHL for a half dozen games could very well have a negative effect on a significant portion of his season just trying to adjust.

And Pakarinen has looked decent in his call-ups previously.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I guess this is what we do until Eberle comes back. Reshuffle the cards and keep on doing it till something sticks.

I think Paka will be more effective than Miller, but if for some reason this doesn't work out I don't see Paka going down.

Leon probably isn't coming up till he's proven that he can score consistently in the AHL unless that stuff about Edmonton being finished with rushing bluechip prospects was a bunch of hogwash.

The only other guy who can get called up at this point is probably Pitlick, but he needs to not only produce in the AHL but he also needs to prove that he can stay healthy for an extended period of time.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

He will. He will. Slepshev may go down to the minors later on if Pakarinen plays his game also.

Good opportunity to find some legit depth on this team either way.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I dunno, it's a whatever move for me. I've not been as big a fan of Pakarinen as others seem to be here. I don't see much of a ceiling with him. He hits a little, skates a little and did have that 1 decent goal in his 17 games on the big club last year. IMO he's a decent to good AHLer but a marginal NHLer.

So much for that narrative during the preseason that went along the lines of "no big deal if Draisaitl goes down to the minors, he'll play in all situations and be the first callup if injuries hit", it would seem. Looks like the Oilers would rather call up anyone but Draisaitl at this point...both Eberle and Hendricks hurt, Slepyshev barely playing and being shown zero confidence by his coach, yet Draisaitl is still riding buses.

It also strikes me as a bit odd that the Oilers are insisting that he be played as a center in the AHL after talking all training camp about how they felt he had his best chance to make the team in the short term as a winger, which Draisaitl seemed OK with embracing. If the Oilers truly feel he's best as a center then that's fine, in fact I agree...but if that's the case, then how does that make him a long term fit on the club with RNH and McDavid not going anywhere anytime soon, and Lander a natural fit as the 3rd line center?

Just my own crackpot theory, but I can't help but wonder if the Oilers are regarding Draisaitl as having more value as trade bait, and grooming him as a center helps elevate his value that much more because centers always have more value than wingers.

I guess we'll see how the year transpires. I bet Chiarelli looks at Drai and gets tempted by what a high end prospect like him would return in a trade to shore up that weak defensive group if the team continues to scrape by, win some games and perhaps be within sniffing distance of a playoff spot once the trade deadline draws near.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

It also strikes me as a bit odd that the Oilers are insisting that he be played as a center in the AHL after talking all training camp about how they felt he had his best chance to make the team in the short term as a winger, which Draisaitl seemed OK with embracing. If the Oilers truly feel he's best as a center then that's fine, in fact I agree...but if that's the case, then how does that make him a long term fit on the club with RNH and McDavid not going anywhere anytime soon, and Lander a natural fit as the 3rd line center?

Just my own crackpot theory, but I can't help but wonder if the Oilers are regarding Draisaitl as having more value as trade bait, and grooming him as a center helps elevate his value that much more because centers always have more value than wingers.

I get that if we look at the spots on the team, Draisaitl makes sense on the wing, but imo it's just not what's best for him. Everything about him oozes center to me. That doesn't make him trade bait either, because he is the exact center we need. If we develop him on the wing, then he will basically become like Pouliot. At center he could be a Thornton or Johansen. The center position sees a lot more ice than wingers, and Draisaitl has fantastic vision.

As for the obvious reality of our depth chart, I don't think that matters right now. Today, there is great benefit to letting Draisaitl develop in the AHL so why not delay the decision? Maybe we trade him. Or maybe we trade Lander, or even RNH in a few years. A lot of this depends on what other teams want, what they are willing to offer, and of course something else could happen on our team that will make us glad to have a big skilled center ready to step in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad