News: Pagnotta: Flames in trade talks to move G Dan Vladar

Ledge And Dairy

The extra year at 2.2m severely limits the interest. Only a few teams can even add an extra 1.5 m in cap hit this year. I think the Devils could actually if they wanted three goalies (in vogue at the moment), but the extra year when Schmid would be waiver eligible and due a raise just kills that for illustration.
The extra year is hardly the problem as 2.2M is cheap for a goalie that is ready for a 1B role, especially with the cap increase next year. It's all about this year's cap situation this year.

As for the Devils specifically, Schmidt is waiver exempt for this year and the next, but if he's NHL ready now then it's probably not a logical fit. Acquiring Vladar would put them in the same situation as Calgary is in right now with Wolf
1697658835947.png

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The extra year is hardly the problem as 2.2M is cheap for a goalie that is ready for a 1B role, especially with the cap increase next year. It's all about this year's cap situation this year.

As for the Devils specifically, Schmidt is waiver exempt for this year and the next, but if he's NHL ready now then it's probably not a logical fit. Acquiring Vladar would put them in the same situation as Calgary is in right now with Wolf
View attachment 754421
Ahh ok I missed that. In any case I don't agree the extra year is not a big deal, almost no teams are looking for a mediocre goalie for two years that costs cap space. For one year, maybe.

I would just waive Vladar and have Wolf insurance in the minors for the next two years, or at least one year, maybe there's a taker next offseason.

Ledge And Dairy

I do not believe Kings will give for Vladar anything else, but Copley and 4th round pick.
Their salary cap space is very limited and Vladar’s .900 save percentage do not make him valuable commodity.
This is the problem with stat watchers. "His sv% means he sucks," literally just choose 3-5 of his games from last year, watch the 10 minute highlight video on youtube and see how well he plays yourself. He faced the some of the lowest shots/60 of any regular goalie in the league last year. So when he has 1-2 PP goals against in a game the opponent scores 1 minute into OT that hurt his sv% much more than a goalie who faced 31 shots a game (league average).

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

Ahh ok I missed that. In any case I don't agree the extra year is not a big deal, almost no teams are looking for a mediocre goalie for two years that costs cap space. For one year, maybe.

I would just waive Vladar and have Wolf insurance in the minors for the next two years, or at least one year, maybe there's a taker next offseason.
But here's the problem. Wolf won the goalie of the year in the AHL but that doesn't make him an instant success in the NHL. He is not a better goalie than Vladar is right now but with proper guidance and experience he absolutely could be in 2 years or so. The difference between goaltending at the AHL and NHL level is pretty big. Wolf is still waiver exempt for 2 more years as well so we are not under any pressure to bring him up.

Vladar is a perfectly fine NHL goalie who is ready for a 1A/1B job, he will never get that with Markstrom as the starter. Waiving him is pointless too, he's far from a liability. If Wolf had actually outperformed either of Vladar or Markstrom at camp then there was an argument for that, but he didn't.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
But here's the problem. Wolf won the goalie of the year in the AHL but that doesn't make him an instant success in the NHL. He is not a better goalie than Vladar is right now but with proper guidance and experience he absolutely could be in 2 years or so. The difference between goaltending at the AHL and NHL level is pretty big. Wolf is still waiver exempt for 2 more years as well so we are not under any pressure to bring him up.

Vladar is a perfectly fine NHL goalie who is ready for a 1A/1B job, he will never get that with Markstrom as the starter. Waiving him is pointless too, he's far from a liability. If Wolf had actually outperformed either of Vladar or Markstrom at camp then there was an argument for that, but he didn't.
I was under the impression the point was to trade Vladar to get Wolf in there. Is that not the case? What's the premise of a Vladar trade?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Comparably bad? No, he has easily outperformed Jones the past two seasons, not to mention he is 7 years younger.

Hockeydb experts will just look at his SV% from last year to make a quick evaluation of the player but won't acknowledge that is was nothing more than a reflection of the system in place in Calgary. Vladar easily outplayed Markstrom in the same system who was coming off a Vezina finalist season. He's a good goaltender who has proven he can consistently win hockey games at the NHL level.

Sure, but they value him as a hockey player.

Two seasons ago, the Flames were the Pacific champions with the 2nd best goal differential in the entire league. Why shouldn't we use the same logic and say that Vladar's still slightly below average numbers from that year (-0.5 GSAA) were just a reflection of playing behind a very good (at least in the regular season) team? Or even claim that Jones numbers are nothing more than a reflection of the systems in place in San Jose and Seattle? Are they are much better teams than Calgary?

And, when I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel, I don't really care which of the rotten turds smells slightly better, or is 7 years younger. It's still the bottom of the barrel.

Ledge And Dairy

I was under the impression the point was to trade Vladar to get Wolf in there. Is that not the case? What's the premise of a Vladar trade?
That is the point as Wolf should be NHL ready as a backup to learn from Markstrom. But trading Vladar is not a must. Calgary isn't going to just place Vladar on waivers to promote Wolf when Wolf isn't a clear upgrade at this point in time. It's counterintuitive. If Calgary can make a trade that gets them value for Vladar while also promoting Wolf then it makes sense

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Is anyone going to reply as in what they want from San Jose?

Flames fans, I’m participating in the thread and have been ignored
Future considerations.

I'm sure the Flames would love to pull another Berra trade and get something for a dime-a-dozen backup but that was dumb luck. Vladar makes too much to be worth anything of value, Flames would be happy to rid themselves of the cap-hit just to be able to go with a 23 man roster again.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I didn't mean him just thrown in as well, obviously there would have be another piece going to Calgary. Toffoli hasn't exactly had the greatest start in NJ though.
Toffoli is interesting. He doesn't "look good" out there. But then you look up at the end of the year and he has 30 goals and 70 points. All last season I thought he didn't look good, but he led our team in scoring by a wide margin.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Toffoli is interesting. He doesn't "look good" out there. But then you look up at the end of the year and he has 30 goals and 70 points. All last season I thought he didn't look good, but he led our team in scoring by a wide margin.
He's a player that I hadn't watched a whole lot before he went to NJ but he constantly has to re-set when he receives a pass, so instead of one-timing it he's stopping it and then shooting and of course it's getting stopped. I seem to remember his one-timer being one of his strengths but so far it hasn't shown on the ice.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's a player that I hadn't watched a whole lot before he went to NJ but he constantly has to re-set when he receives a pass, so instead of one-timing it he's stopping it and then shooting and of course it's getting stopped. I seem to remember his one-timer being one of his strengths but so far it hasn't shown on the ice.
He's not a one timer guy. He's a wrist shot into a teacup guy. You'll love him in the very high top of circle range on the PP. He's absolutely deadly from there. Horrific skater, but you guys have loads of speed.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I'd still much rather move Markstrom than Vladar if we could find a taker. I really like Vladar's skill set.

Markstrom is the better goalie right now, but not by the difference in contracts and length he has.

If Calgary could find someone to take him, and get a cheaper option to play with Vladar, yes...

Would think Markstrom would be harder to move due to contract and inconsistent play.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I mean, better than Johansson is a very low bar to have to clear, but I definitely don’t think Tampa will want to screw up its cap structure to fix a problem that will solve itself when Vasilevskiy gets healthy in any event.

I don't even think Johansson has been that bad. The team in front of him has been horrible and it's highly unlikely Vladar fixes that or that he's gonna be worth the cap complications (as you mentioned) to bring him in.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I do think that Vladar is a good backup goalie. He's the kind of backup that can get hot for stretches and give you starter quality goaltending

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He's not a one timer guy. He's a wrist shot into a teacup guy. You'll love him in the very high top of circle range on the PP. He's absolutely deadly from there. Horrific skater, but you guys have loads of speed.
Oh okay, so far his skating hasn't been an issue but the finish hasn't been there at all.
How's Rango looking in Calgary so far?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad