Confirmed with Link: Pageau - 3 years, $9.3M (3.1 AAV)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The only 'risk' on this contract not including UFA years is if in the next three years, technology and stat tracking get to the point we can absolutely quantify defensive contributions in terms relative to the way we can attribute offensive contributions.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Almost certainly. I think most would have been pleased with a 5 year deal at 3.5, and that would mean the last 2 years would have average 4.1 per assuming the rest of the deal remained the same. Heck, even looking towards the high end of Hale's hypothesized 4th and 5th years at 4-5 mil, had we locked him up for 3.75 per over 5 years, those last two years would have cost us about 4.75 each.

What we gave up is a cheap cap hit in the last couple years, but as a budget team, it's less about the cap and more about the dollars. What we really lost is a more valuable trading chip in years 4 and 5 (he'd be worth more at the deadline at a 3.75 mil cap hit in years 4 and 5 if he continues to progress)and the potential that we have a steal of a deal should he really break out and be worth more than 4-5 mil in those 2 extra years.

Anyways, glad we have Pageau locked up for the next couple years at a very fair deal.

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's 3 seasons from now, who cares. Everyone gets so wrapped up in this "OMG he's gonna be UFA" stuff. We just locked him in to 3x3, we can all re-evaluate his performance at the end of year 2. Maybe he is expendable by 2020, and if we did 5 years, we'd be stuck with a guy making over 3.5 per for 2 years that we don't want him anymore.

Agreed. Pageau is not a superstar.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Terrible deal. Dorion could have slept and let the agent write this contract. Not that Pageau isn't worth an aav of $3.1M but over 5 years not 3 for gawd's sake. What other GM would bring a player with 3 RFA years left to his UFA status and pay top dollars when he doesn't have to? Even an arbitrator would not have gone that high and even if he did it would have been the Sens option to go 1 year or 2 so the hammer would have stayed in their court. If a player is that good he'd have been great trade bait. If I'm Melnyk Dorion is fired tonight!

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Terrible deal. Dorion could have slept and let the agent write this contract. Not that Pageau isn't worth an aav of $3.1M but over 5 years not 3 for gawd's sake. What other GM would bring a player with 3 RFA years left to his UFA status and pay top dollars when he doesn't have to? Even an arbitrator would not have gone that high and even if he did it would have been the Sens option to go 1 year or 2 so the hammer would have stayed in their court. If a player is that good he'd have been great trade bait. If I'm Melnyk Dorion is fired tonight!

good god I hope this is a joke....

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like it. Glad he's on board. Gives the team time enough to see where prospects are and what direction they want to go with Pageau.

Fair $

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

T3amyP.jpg

from CapFriendly

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
good god I hope this is a joke....

What? You seriously think Dorion did any sweating over this contract. For this money it should have gone to arbitration and if they didn't like the dollar award put him up for trade offers and then decide on a 1 or 2 year deal based on what the other team wants. This team lucked out on the way the chips fell in the playoffs and Dorion now thinks they are good enough to do it again so he wastes money that should have been spent elsewhere. If I'm the owner Dorion is gone! Bring back Tim Murray he's not attached to players.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
After 3 more years in the league someone of his stature and role is going to have some hard miles. UFA isn't a huge concern.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What? You seriously think Dorion did any sweating over this contract. For this money it should have gone to arbitration and if they didn't like the dollar award put him up for trade offers and then decide on a 1 or 2 year deal based on what the other team wants. This team lucked out on the way the chips fell in the playoffs and Dorion now thinks they are good enough to do it again so he wastes money that should have been spent elsewhere. If I'm the owner Dorion is gone! Bring back Tim Murray he's not attached to players.

Wow seriously? you think Pageau is worth less than 3.1 AAV over 3 years? Ok :shakehead

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Because it's a serious overreaction considering that you were fine with 3.25x5.
So, basically you're thinking that Dorion should be fired because he couldn't get Pageau signed at an AAV for the remaining two years of 3.475.

Which sounds like a reasonable number, but at the same time a lot of contracts are being built around the next lockout we'll probably have in 2020. So maybe one side or the other didn't want to commit beyond then.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Oh yeah cause Murray did such a great job in BUF.....

You see it as the team lucked out, they see it as they worked there ***** off every damn day to get where they were and they know they can do it again. Good for them, they have every right to believe that because they have already done it, but this has nothing to do with this deal. JGP was going to get this regardless.

This deal is about getting one of the elite 3rd line centers in the game locked up for 3 more years. He is our top PKer, he is our best defensive forward, and he is part of the heart and soul of this team, and he is our most consistent forward. Look at what a guy like Bonino got ($4.1Mil) for bringing essentially the same thing Pageau brings, except Bonino is 5 years older.. (Even Z. Smith got more..) This is a very fair deal for Ottawa..

Last edited by a moderator:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
This is a good deal. Fair $$ for someone Boucher can lean on in all situations. Fan favourite, energy player, heart and soul guy. He's the current version of Mike Fisher.

Locking him up for the next three years is a solid thing. Could be a Sen for life.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Wow, that's extremely harsh & I thought everyone loved Pageau on here. Seems like a very fair market value contract, I would even add that Pageau gave a hometown discount. IMO 5 yrs could be a little too long given that they have two young prospect centres who they expect can be top 6 centres in this league sooner rather than later.

I would just say that once Brassard's contract is up (2 yrs), I expect Pageau to replace him on the 2nd line for a yr. That gives White 3 good yrs to also grow into Pageau's 3rd line centre spot & I expect White to overtake Pageau for the 2nd line centre spot eventually. I expect Brown to also make the lineup in about 3 yrs or so & start on the bottom 6 & move up at his own speed. This might just be Pageau's last contract as a Sen but that would have more to do with how the prospect centres are coming along. And then there is Nick Paul who could also play centre at the NHL level on the 4th line. A 3 yr contract for Pageau seems right to me considering the prospects they have coming.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We go to arbitration: "OMG TEAM NO MONEY"
We sign him: "OMG TERRIBLE DEAL DORIONDUMB"

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Would have preferred a little more term, but this is fine. Team-friendly money too. Just glad they finally got it done.

Wish we had new jerseys so I could get me a #44 one. :/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad