Confirmed with Link: Pageau - 3 years, $9.3M (3.1 AAV)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion could have given Pageau 4M for all I care, as long as he was locked up for 5-8 years.

Best case scenario is now overpaying to keep him a Senator because he now has the leverage of a UFA.

Worst case scenario is losing Pageau to free agency, when he should be a Senator for life.

Giving him 3YRs was stupid.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Dorion could have given Pageau 4M for all I care, as long as he was locked up for 5-8 years.

Best case scenario is now overpaying to keep him a Senator because he now has the leverage of a UFA.

Worst case scenario is losing Pageau to free agency, when he should be a Senator for life.

You conveniently seem to ignore the fact that right now, basically no one is signing 4+ year deals unless they're 6M+ and heavily bonus laden (ie lockout proof). Takes two sides to agree to a contract.

And why does giving him 3 years guarantee he goes to free agency? We basically have an entire year to negotiate an extension come that time. Both Smith and Hoffman I believe were done that way.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You conveniently seem to ignore the fact that right now, basically no one is signing 4+ year deals unless they're 6M+ and heavily bonus laden (ie lockout proof). Takes two sides to agree to a contract.

And why does giving him 3 years guarantee he goes to free agency? We basically have an entire year to negotiate an extension come that time. Both Smith and Hoffman I believe were done that way.

considering the fact t that pageau is a local and pretty much worshiped by francophones in this city, I'm not too concerned about losing him in 3 years.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Believing we could not re-sign him for 4m long term might be stupid as well

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
He's playing like a pure fourth line grinder.

Yep he is not himself this season. Maybe eating too many chicken parms since his new extension.

Not worried about him at all though. We’ve seen how good he’s been in the past and I’m sure he’ll get back there.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I love Pager and would like to see him stay, but understand if he goes because the interest would be there with the kind of player he is.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I love Pager and would like to see him stay, but understand if he goes because the interest would be there with the kind of player he is.

Yeah, that's the thing. The players to go, will be the ones who we want to keep and not the ones that deserve to be jettisoned. I fully expect Hoffman, JGP, Brassard to be gone this year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ugh the term Dorion gave him was so stupid.

Only bought out 1 UFA year. He'll be making 3.4M in the final year of his deal, and you know he'll be asking for 4-5M on a long-term deal in 2YRs time.

Can we really afford to re-sign our 3rd line center for that amount with all the crappy contracts on our team? I doubt it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Only bought out 1 UFA year. He'll be making 3.4M in the final year of his deal, and you know he'll be asking for 4-5M on a long-term deal in 2YRs time.

Can we really afford to re-sign our 3rd line center for that amount with all the crappy contracts on our team? I doubt it.

No matter how you slice it, it was a good deal.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

5M is too far above market for a 3C.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Pageau has been fine for now but he's the placeholder for White or Chlapik when one of them is ready to move up. You can't keep everyone and at his price he's too expensive for the 4th line so he will soon become a movable piece.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Keep Pageau, either sign him to a FAIR deal in 2 years, or trade him at the deadline. He's the type that can return a bunch.

Prototypical playoff performer
Defensively square
Center
Can slide up/down the lineup as needed
Cheap caphit for a rental

Not worried about what we do; keep him or get value from him, either or should be easily attainable. Any situation involving Pageau isn't pressing for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->