Eklund Rumor: Pacioretty to Dallas

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Bob McKenzie is saying unless some team is willing to give a good young center + 1st rd pick Montreal won't trade Pacioretty .
And Bergevin is delusional if he honestly thinks that any team would give up a good young center+1st rd pick for Pacioretty. That would be like Detroit giving up Larkin or Rasmussen for Pacioretty not happening.

Jan 21, 2018
JVR is not on the same level as Pacioretty

Hypothetical situation. Assume for the past decade that Pacioretty was on the trainwreck leafs and JVR was on the top contending Montreal team.

You would still say that Pacioretty is on a different level than JVR? Give me a break. Their numbers would be even more closer than they have been the last few years that the Habs/Leafs have been in the same class of skill.

I'm in no way saying JVR is better. It is quite clear Pacioretty is better, but on a different level? That's just overvaluing Pac or undervaluing JVR because he's on the Leafs.

I'll say it again: The difference between Pac/JVR is not the difference between a top 5 pick and a 2nd rounder.

Pacioretty will not return a top prospect like Heiskanen (nor would JVR had he been traded last season).

Pacioretty at best will get a 1st + a very good prospect + some salary if traded this season. JVR would have gotten a similar return had he been traded last season, presumably the prospect not being as good. Can't factor out Bergevin being a terrible GM so that will probably make the returns even closer in value.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
And Bergevin is delusional if he honestly thinks that any team would give up a good young center+1st rd pick for Pacioretty. That would be like Detroit giving up Larkin or Rasmussen for Pacioretty not happening.
Pacioretty isn't available then teams looking for wingers are free to look elsewhere

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Then Pacioretty will continue playing for the Montreal Canadiens won't be traded
I doubt that. There will be a Playoffs team that will give Habs a first + AHL prospect at the deadline. No NHL player though but that is expected from a team that wants to go all-in. Dallas is a team in that category. Let's wait and watch how desperate some of the contenders get. Pittsburgh is actually looking for a third line center, the bidding has already started.

Pacioretty is still one of the best snipers in the league and signed for one extra season. He has that value.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think patches would be a good fit in DAL. i think they need another top 6 winger. obviously Seguin/Benn/Rads is an insane trio, but after that the next guy has 28 pts (16 less than Seguin). Honka+1st seems like a good deal.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I doubt that. There will be a Playoffs team that will give Habs a first + AHL prospect at the deadline. No NHL player though but that is expected from a team that wants to go all-in. Dallas is a team in that category. Let's wait and watch how desperate some of the contenders get. Pittsburgh is actually looking for a third line center, the bidding has already started.

Pacioretty is still one of the best snipers in the league and signed for one extra season. He has that value.
If Montreal can't get what they want in a trade they won't trade Pacioretty

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Hypothetical situation. Assume for the past decade that Pacioretty was on the trainwreck leafs and JVR was on the top contending Montreal team.

You would still say that Pacioretty is on a different level than JVR? Give me a break. Their numbers would be even more closer than they have been the last few years that the Habs/Leafs have been in the same class of skill.

I'm in no way saying JVR is better. It is quite clear Pacioretty is better, but on a different level? That's just overvaluing Pac or undervaluing JVR because he's on the Leafs.

I'll say it again: The difference between Pac/JVR is not the difference between a top 5 pick and a 2nd rounder.

Pacioretty will not return a top prospect like Heiskanen (nor would JVR had he been traded last season).

Pacioretty at best will get a 1st + a very good prospect + some salary if traded this season. JVR would have gotten a similar return had he been traded last season, presumably the prospect not being as good. Can't factor out Bergevin being a terrible GM so that will probably make the returns even closer in value.

You could, instead of hypotheticals, looks at them play. Pacioretty has been scoring on an anemic offense for years and he plays the PK

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Max is worth more than a late round first and some AHL prospect.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think a scoring winger is a bigger need than D. Pateryn, Hamhuis and Johns have been great in Hitch's system & when Methot comes back it'll be even more bodies back there.

We do, however, need another top-6 winger.

And no, people, Heiskanen isn't moving.

Nobody says those players are worthless. Blame the salary cap for people not being thrilled about trading cost controlled assets for someone who could walk after the following season.

Luckily the Stars have a good cap situation for the upcoming years and Nill has been solid at retaining the right players during free agency.

Also, Heiskanen is not moving. I also doubt the Stars trade their first rounder this year either with the draft being held in Dallas.

Unfortunately, if Pacioretty is ever getting traded it’s because someone will have met MB’s price (or very close to it). Is Heiskanen part of the untouchable? Probably.. but there’s not much left interesting for the Habs after Heisk and I doubt MB would settle for less than a young proven commodity. He doesn’t have the luxury of getting fleeced on his next trade.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Unfortunately, if Pacioretty is ever getting traded it’s because someone will have met MB’s price (or very close to it). Is Heiskanen part of the untouchable? Probably.. but there’s not much left interesting for the Habs after Heisk and I doubt MB would settle for less than a young proven commodity. He doesn’t have the luxury of getting fleeced on his next trade.
What GM ever makes a deal if they think they're getting fleeced? I don't think there's ever been a trade where one GM says "well we are gonna get fleeced here, but we'll do better next time"

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Max is worth more than a late round first and some AHL prospect.
Depends on who that AHL prospect is. That is how you build a team's future. Sure, gambling can cost you your underpants but Pacioretty gone for a late 1st round + prospect is better than Pacioretty gone for nothing or resigned for 6 years at 7M+.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lol Stars fans. “We will give you a 3rd line winger in Shore and Gurianov who regressed this season in the AHL”

Yeah here’s our 35 goal scoring captain at a $4.5m cap hit.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
If Montreal can't get what they want in a trade they won't trade Pacioretty
Maybe they won,t trade him this year but next year there is a very high chance that Pacioretty is gone at some point. Otherwise MB is the worst GM in all sports history. You don't build your future by signing your vets to long term lucrative contracts, unless they are franchise players, and Pacioretty isn't.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

I don't think Bergevin is looking at a 21 yo, already no.1 center. It would be just plain lunatic. Probably a nhl ready prospect with top 6 potential or an actual 21-22 yo center playing 3rd line center or wing on a good team with great depth down the middle.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I think they would need a dman before adding more firepower upfront. It's Eklund, so what do I know?

This just shows how people don't watch Dallas and therefore perceptions don't change.

It might be hard to believe but Dallas is more than fine on the back end especially when you consider we are doing all this with no methot. The D problems are way less now that Lindell stepped up as a #2 this year

However where we are lacking is a top 6 winger. We have 3 in Benn Radulov and Janmark but really need that extra push. We could simply go for depth but adding a top 6 would push Shore down and that would strengthen depth scoring.

So to be competitive Dallas 100%needs to address the wing and has no reason spending on D. That being said Patches would cost a lot and we don't have a C prospect to give MTL

Reactions: Kcb12345

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Depends on who that AHL prospect is. That is how you build a team's future. Sure, gambling can cost you your underpants but Pacioretty gone for a late 1st round + prospect is better than Pacioretty gone for nothing or resigned for 6 years at 7M+.
That better be one hell of a surefire prospect. You don't rebuild a team by trading your inexpensive 6 time 30+ goal scorer who currently leads the team in scoring and is your captain for a pick that could very well be 31st overall after he is added to the current Dallas roster and some AHL prospect especially when you look at Dallas' AHL roster which does not seem to have a high end C prospect or many high end prospects period.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

My personal young center would be an 18 or 19 year old who has not turned pro yet. I do agree that Patch for this playoffs and next year is not worth a proven center in the NHL. I guess it depends on who that center, how old, and how much term left on his current deal.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What GM ever makes a deal if they think they're getting fleeced? I don't think there's ever been a trade where one GM says "well we are gonna get fleeced here, but we'll do better next time"

By fleeced I mean risky prospect (or prospect that may or may not pan ou). He needs a sure shot

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Please no, Habs are my team and I have disliked Pacioretty for ever. Dallas are my western team so the last thing I need is have Pacioretty on the Stars. Send him to Edmonton or Vancouver or Anaheim and I’ll be happy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad