Eklund Rumor: Pacioretty to Dallas

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I'd love to add Patches, but the only thing we need more than scoring wingers is young, cheap talent like Heiskanen and Honka. We'll have our core locked up long term for big money as soon as Seguin signs (Benn, Seguin, Bishop, Klingberg, Radulov).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Yes i do realize that historically Pac>Gal, butI also realize that a 29yr old declining hard winger is not as valuable as a 23yr who has been mismanaged and continuing to get better.
I also know that despite how "great" you people are trying to make Pacioretty sound, despite his struggles, he's outscoring Devin Shore by 8 whole points (with the same amount of PK and roughly half the pp time of Pac, and 4 mins overall less ice time),
and considering he's bounced around every line the stars have and has struggled quite a bit himself this season That's not that impressive.
As for the bold statement 3 points separate the 29yr old declining winger from the 23yr od who's continuing to grow yet a "inferior" player, and that 23yr old also gets less playing time by about 4mins. Then you have the fact that Galchenyuk is signed longer and fits in better with the makeup of the team.

Yeah I'd take Galchenyuk Over Pac, and as i stated earlier the most I'd give up for Pac is shore, conditional 1st, b prospect. He's going to be looking for 7-8+mil on his next contract.
Dallas would be wasting assets for a 100 or so regular season game NHL rental. Going above Shore, 1st, b prospect for that is nonsense. hell that is probably too much even

Two playoff runs and a whole regular season is not a rental. That term is reserved solely for the expiring contract player.

To your bigger point, you may be right but with Benn, Seguin and Klingberg all right in their primes, I think Patches would be the better get. Give me the two playoff runs with the almost 30 year old 30 goal scorer over the less proven younger player. The time is now.

Reactions: Dominic Roussel

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Lol Stars fans. “We will give you a 3rd line winger in Shore and Gurianov who regressed this season in the AHL”

Yeah here’s our 35 goal scoring captain at a $4.5m cap hit.

Last I checked he has 16 goals, 31 points. aka Mattias Janmark numbers.

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
Am I the only Habs fan that don't have interest in Shore as the C coming back? I'm not high on him at all.

I'm with you ... Shore's potential upside is not high enough to make it the centerpiece of the trade

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
Last I checked he has 16 goals, 31 points. aka Mattias Janmark numbers.

Did you (last) check his record for the past 5 years? ... in the top 5 goal scorers of the league ... plus he plays on the PK. And don't tell me he is regressing, he's only 29 years old. To establish value I would rely more on 5 years than 51 games don't you think?

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
As a reminder Habs need young C or LHD A prospects that's NHL ready or close... anything else is not a fit.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
Dallas needs more some proven Play Off goalscorer and not Play Off chocker. Patch is great player in regular season but is terrible in elimination games.

But if a trade between them will happen Montreal should get atleast Faksa in the package.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Dallas needs more some proven Play Off goalscorer and not Play Off chocker. Patch is great player in regular season but is terrible in elimination games.

But if a trade between them will happen Montreal should get atleast Faksa in the package.

Faksa is not on the table. He will anchor the Stars second line for the foreseeable future.

As I said, the Stars will happily look for a top 6 winger elsewhere.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Did you (last) check his record for the past 5 years? ... in the top 5 goal scorers of the league ... plus he plays on the PK. And don't tell me he is regressing, he's only 29 years old. To establish value I would rely more on 5 years than 51 games don't you think?

I agree, but that poster was cherry picking current year stats/play on Shore/Gurianov so I did the same for Patches. That was my point.

He called Patches a 35 goal scorer while diminishing Gurianov/Shore and not taking into account age/future.

So yes, we should look at past seasons and overall body of work, but let's do the same for 20-year olds and estimate potential future instead of calling them diminishing assets.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I agree, but that poster was cherry picking current year stats/play on Shore/Gurianov so I did the same for Patches. That was my point.

He called Patches a 35 goal scorer while diminishing Gurianov/Shore and not taking into account age/future.

So yes, we should look at past seasons and overall body of work, but let's do the same for 20-year olds and estimate potential future instead of calling them diminishing assets.

Not cherry picking stats. A Stars fan said Max is having a bad year. He’s actually the leading scorer on his team. While his numbers might not be inspiring for a team with offensive firepower like the Stars, what he’s done with no support in Montreal (for the last 5+ seasons) is a miracle. So sorry if I wouldn’t trade him for a 3rd liner like Shore (yes he is a 3rd liner) and Gurianov who is very disappointing so far despite being a Top 15 selection. It’s like the Stars trading Benn for Andrew Shaw and Nikita Scherbak. You’d laugh too.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Wouldn't even trade Faksa straight up. Would take a HUGE overpayment to get Faksa. Idk why other teams fans think he is available, no Stars fan will tell you he is available in a trade and they will tell you that he is completely untouchable.

Reactions: busterlid

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Would be fine with giving up Gurianov, but Hintz is a player I'd like to see get a NHL chance first before we deal him. He could end up being a good top 6 winger for us. As could Gurianov but I'm not sure when he would get his chance and it's probably better to deal him away as part of a package for a better player. Also, that's what I was thinking. Habs deal Petry for draft picks/more prospects and get younger in the process by adding a solid replacement in Honka. Definitely a deal could be made around these players but Dallas would likely go after Pacioretty to get a more experienced player with more veteran leadership for the playoffs. But personally as a fan I'd want Galchenyuk so we at least have a good future piece so it doesn't hit as hard if we miss the playoffs or get out early this year. Pacioretty isn't a guy we would resign unless he was just outstanding here

Montreal would (and should) insist upon the better of those two players. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to make that determination. If Hintz could be a good top-6 winger, then he might be the guy the Habs should target. Besides, if you're getting Galchenyuk back, what opportunities will Hintz realistically have to play in the top 6 in the forseable future?

I'd also push for a draft pick if I were Montreal.

Honka + Hintz + 2nd for Galchenyuk.

Curious to hear what both sides think of this.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Montreal would (and should) insist upon the better of those two players. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to make that determination. If Hintz could be a good top-6 winger, then he might be the guy the Habs should target. Besides, if you're getting Galchenyuk back, what opportunities will Hintz realistically have to play in the top 6 in the forseable future?

I'd also push for a draft pick if I were Montreal.

Honka + Hintz + 2nd for Galchenyuk.

Curious to hear what both sides think of this.

It's not awful, but would much rather give up Gurianov than Hintz. Other than that I feel the value is decent. It's likely there would be more picks involved and some sort of conditional pick coming from Montreal to Dallas (possibly based on playoffs games played by Galchenyuk or goals or something Idk).

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Two playoff runs and a whole regular season is not a rental. That term is reserved solely for the expiring contract player.

To your bigger point, you may be right but with Benn, Seguin and Klingberg all right in their primes, I think Patches would be the better get. Give me the two playoff runs with the almost 30 year old 30 goal scorer over the less proven younger player. The time is now.

Agreed, as a Hab fan, its clear to me that Pacioretty would be more useful for a contender than Galchenyuk would be. He's simply the better player in every aspect of the game. A top goal scorer in the league who can also PK and defend the lead with a minute left. His possession numbers are always among the best on the team (Galchenyuk's are among the worst).

When talking about playoff production, you have to remember that Montreal's offense has been a one trick pony for years, and Pacioretty has been that trick. When checking tightens up in the playoffs and the defense focusses their effort on a single team for seven games, they know all they have to do is shut down Pacioretty and they have a good chance of winning the series. In these conditions, Pacioretty still puts up 0.5 ppg, which is far from nothing. Put him with Benn, Seguin, Spezza, and Radulov and I have no doubt he'll be lethal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->