Proposal: Pacioretty to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
This is a horrible offer for colorado

That said the Colorado responses of a second round pick are also laughable
Its fair value for how the Avalanche should value Pacioretty.

Hence why you don't try and trade with teams that don't have much reason to want the player, since they don't value them as much

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
They should take no less than they can get for him, but that’s still no reason for the avs to pay any more for him.

They’re not desperate for him, so if some other team wants to overpay for MaxPac, that’s no sweat off of Sakic’s back.

And there is no need to trade him for less than what he's worth in September. If the Avs offer is what we've seen in this thread (a second round pick) that is not going to get it done.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Its fair value for how the Avalanche should value Pacioretty.

Hence why you don't try and trade with teams that don't have much reason to want the player, since they don't value them as much

We have a different definition of "fair value" and how "the Avalanche should value" a guy who has scored 30+ goals five times in his career, and is in the top 10 in the NHL for goals since 2011-12.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
We have a different definition of "fair value" and how "the Avalanche should value" a guy who has scored 30+ goals five times in his career, and is in the top 10 in the NHL for goals since 2011-12.
And yet he remain a Hab.
Seems expectaions are/were to high with management as well

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
And yet he remain a Hab.
Seems expectaions are/were to high with management as well

And the same could be said of Karlsson, or Panarin.

Or 12 months ago, the same was said of Duchene. That the Avs expectations were too high and they would trade him at a discount. That doesn't seem to be the way things went, now is it?

Waiting for the right deal doesn't necessarily mean expectations are too high, it just means that a certain strategy is being taken in trade negotiations, one that can only be truly evaluated after the deal is made.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
And the same could be said of Karlsson, or Panarin.

Or 12 months ago, the same was said of Duchene. That the Avs expectations were too high and they would trade him at a discount. That doesn't seem to be the way things went, now is it?

Waiting for the right deal doesn't necessarily mean expectations are too high, it just means that a certain strategy is being taken in trade negotiations, one that can only be truly evaluated after the deal is made.
Ah! Precendence. If you're going to hang your hat on that, then you can't leave out who your GM is then.
Not living in any of those areas of players you've brought up, has Patches said much to indicate he wants out of town ?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why should the Habs take less in September than they can get at the deadline?

Why should the Habs take less than they can get from a team trying to take the next step?
The Habs are going to get a reasonable return from a team ultimately trying to push themselves over the hump this season but I'm not convinced it's happening at the deadline. Because you just aren't going to get significantly more from a team then than you're likely to now. Teams don't wait until the deadline anymore to gear up, it's why the deadline sucks now.

And the whole Pacioretty saga is likely going to be a massive distraction for the Canadiens this season. It's probably best to find a buyer, grab your prospects, throw on a conditional pick and move on. Let the kids eat up the prime minutes and amalgamate into the Habs' lineup. Play Drouin in his natural position.

You're not wrong the teams like Columbus and Ottawa are dealing with the same situations, but they're also sitting on significantly more valuable assets.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
No, we don't. He doesn't fit what the Avs are doing. He has very low value to them. End of story.

Reactions: milehigh11

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Then say that you arent interested in paying fair value instead of making posts that his value is a 2nd round pick... which is dumb
AKA, I basically said that, but you're just getting upset that I didn't explicit sugarcoat it by trying to hype up his more generic value.

It is a fair value to the Avalanche. He doesn't match anything that they're trying to do currently.

Deal.

With.

It.

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Patches is one of the top goal scorers in the league, if he's signed long term it'll cost Colorado more than Jost and Timmins and a 2020 2nd.

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
This is a horrible offer for colorado

That said the Colorado responses of a second round pick are also laughable

I can see your point to a degree, the Greer part as a prospect is off but the Avalanche right now are a bubble team for sure when it comes to making the playoffs. We lose a guy from the top line or EJ for any length this season we won't make it. The team could end up a botttom feeder again. The first round pick is still off the board for the Avs I think until they prove year in year out they can content. I get Montreal wanting everything they can get for Patches but on the other hand there still only gonna get a late first rounder from a contending team wanting to go deep in the playoffs, so really late first or early second are all the same in that area of the draft. They might not get what they want for him now.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
And there is no need to trade him for less than what he's worth in September. If the Avs offer is what we've seen in this thread (a second round pick) that is not going to get it done.

There isn't one Avs fan who wants Patches, so you are right that no deal will get done. Obviously we would love him this year, but the assets it would cost to acquire him on top of needing to sign him to a huge contract which he inevitably won't be worth as he ages makes it clear that he isn't on the Avs' radar. Honestly, i'd rather keep 2nd + Greer than have 1 year of Patches.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Honestly surprised to see this thread is still going. There's not much to be said here, bad fit, bad offers both ways.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'll say it. These "trade with extensions" are absolutely unrealistic. They just don't happen. To think the Avs are going to give up a bunch of futures for really a one year rental is insane. To think Patches is that much of difference maker is obscene. Avs will spend 7m next summer on a UFA this will, and not trade for one.

Sorry for the rant. But this epidemic of sign is trades are just cluttering the web side is unnecessary. When guys can't think of a realistic trade.....I'll just make a sign and trade

Reactions: belair and vokiel

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Patches is one of the top goal scorers in the league, if he's signed long term it'll cost Colorado more than Jost and Timmins and a 2020 2nd.
It really won't. And I'm not sure why you think it would. Max Pacioretty is hoping to be overpaid on his next contract. His last deal he was probably the most underpaid forward in the NHL and he and his agent are completely aware of that. This is why it's unlikely the Canadiens find a deal where they can capitalize on the value of a signed Max Pacioretty. He is a rental through and through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad