Proposal: Pacioretty to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Colorado trades Tyson Jost + Connor Timmins + 2020 2nd.

Montreal trades Max Pacioretty signed @ 7.5 x 6 years.
Pacioretty isn't worth this much.

And it's doubtful you'll have teams shelling out that kind of coin over term for a guy coming off of his career-worst campaign since becoming an NHL regular. If I'm guessing, Montreal may have to bite the bullet and trade him as a rental, because it's apparent he's not re-signing.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Pacioretty isn't worth this much.

And it's doubtful you'll have teams shelling out that kind of coin over term for a guy coming off of his career-worst campaign since becoming an NHL regular. If I'm guessing, Montreal may have to bite the bullet and trade him as a rental, because it's apparent he's not re-signing.

Pacioretty likely isn’t getting dealt without a preordained extension.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pacioretty likely isn’t getting dealt without a preordained extension.
The Canadiens may not have a choice.

The big thing about gauging trade value is that the Canadiens missed their opportunity to truly capitalize on the fact that he was one of the best bangs for your buck on the market at the trade deadline last spring. He had an extra year at $4.5m, which was an opportunity to either re-sign him or recoup some of the losses for the initial buyer.

Now the Habs are either selling him as a one-and-done rental or they're hoping to find a suitor for a player who wants to make serious bank because he was substantially underpaid on his last contract.

This is why fans need to temper their expectations as to what he returns.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Remove Timmins and Jost.

Pacioretty is a rental. A pure rental who reportedly doesn’t even want to talk contract until the season is over. He’ll get traded for a similar package to what Jeff Skinner just returned. Or maybe a similar package that Kane returned last year.

A reasonable ask from Colorado would be a 2019 2nd + AJ Greer.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Remove Timmins and Jost.

Pacioretty is a rental. A pure rental who reportedly doesn’t even want to talk contract until the season is over. He’ll get traded for a similar package to what Jeff Skinner just returned. Or maybe a similar package that Kane returned last year.

A reasonable ask from Colorado would be a 2019 2nd + AJ Greer.
you're not getting a full year of pacioretty for the price of a deadline rental, gtfo. how the hell is a 4th liner and 2nd "reasonable"?

rather bergevin lose pacioretty for nothing than give the avs a 1st line player for garbage.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
you're not getting a full year of pacioretty for the price of a deadline rental, gtfo. how the hell is a 4th liner and 2nd "reasonable"?

rather bergevin lose pacioretty for nothing than give the avs a 1st line player for garbage.
We don't want Patches and he would never fetch that IMO. We would much rather sign Rants and other RFA's before trading for Patches with Jost and Timmins lol I know Patches is good but we aren't contending right now no need to gut our prospect pool.

Reactions: milehigh11

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
We don't want Patches and he would never fetch that IMO. We would much rather sign Rants and other RFA's before trading for Patches with Jost and Timmins lol I know Patches is good but we aren't right now no need to gut our prospect pool.
i didn't agree with the OP as its an overpayment for the avs, i was commenting on that HORRIBLE counter offer.

Reactions: Spilot23

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
i didn't agree with the OP as its an overpayment for the avs, i was commenting on that horrible counter offer.
As a rule of thumb, when an initial offer on this board is very bad, expect the counter offer to be equally as bad (or worse) the other way. So there's no need to comment on counter offers.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Did you not see the Skinner deal? Near identical situations.

Reactions: belair

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Did you not see the Skinner deal? Near identical situations.
Skinner had a NMC and makes 1.225 million more than Max, while NOT being top 10 in NHL goal scoring over the past 5 years (like Max).

And just because one team makes a bad trade, doesn't mean another should as well.

Yes i know marc bergevin is a blithering idiot and can't help himself from making bad trades, but i'm discussing this from the perspective of fair value.

Also You offered a middling asset like Greer and a 2nd. Skinner got Pu who is a better prospect (imo), a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th.

So add all that up, how does what you propose make sense?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I don't know what's worse, the OP for Colorado or the Avs fans responses for Montreal. Dear lord.
I don't expect Pens fans to understand our situation since your team is contending every year and you basically got Kessel for free. We aren't contending anytime soon why would we trade for him ? We would be better off signing our RFA's and Rants who will probably cost around 8M$ if he gets 80+ again before trading for Patches. Yes a 2nd + Greer is insulting for the Habs but to me we don't need him not right now though. Can't risk trading our closest thing to a #2C for a winger and good RHD prospect on top of that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't expect Pens fans to understand our situation since your team is contending every year and you basically got Kessel for free. We aren't contending anytime soon why would we trade for him ? We would be better off signing our RFA's and Rants who will probably cost around 8M$ if he gets 80+ again before trading for Patches. Yes a 2nd + Greer is insulting for the Habs but to me we don't need him not right now though. Can't risk trading our closest thing to a #2C for a winger and good RHD prospect on top of that.

You can just say "we don't need him" for those reasons instead of making awful offers like Greer and a 2nd for Pacioretty. You see that all of the time on here, people saying "I don't want him, but I'll make this terribly lowball offer that clearly shows I don't want him".

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
You can just say "we don't need him" for those reasons instead of making awful offers like Greer and a 2nd for Pacioretty. You see that all of the time on here, people saying "I don't want him, but I'll make this terribly lowball offer that clearly shows I don't want him".
I know that's why I said that's insulting for the Habs. Let me ask you what would you offer for Patches ? Sprong + 1st ?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Canadiens may not have a choice.

The big thing about gauging trade value is that the Canadiens missed their opportunity to truly capitalize on the fact that he was one of the best bangs for your buck on the market at the trade deadline last spring. He had an extra year at $4.5m, which was an opportunity to either re-sign him or recoup some of the losses for the initial buyer.

Now the Habs are either selling him as a one-and-done rental or they're hoping to find a suitor for a player who wants to make serious bank because he was substantially underpaid on his last contract.

This is why fans need to temper their expectations as to what he returns.
Boom, I said this very thing on our board many times, they missed the boat in trading Pacioretty, it should have been at the tdl last season, it had to be then. Excellent post.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know that's why I said that's insulting for the Habs. Let me ask you what would you offer for Patches ? Sprong + 1st ?

I probably wouldn't do Sprong, but I'd probably top out at Simon and a 1st. I think a fair return for Pacioretty is a 1st plus a NHL ready prospect with middle-6 upside. Sprong's a little too much for me, but it's not like obscenely too much.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I probably wouldn't do Sprong, but I'd probably top out at Simon and a 1st. I think a fair return for Pacioretty is a 1st plus a NHL ready prospect with middle-6 upside. Sprong's a little too much for me, but it's not like obscenely too much.
Our problem is that we can't give up our 1st this year since yes there is a chance that we make the playoffs but there's also a chance that we s*** and don't make it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad