Value of: Pacioretty: Sign and Trade

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Only a 2nd for Pac? give me a break. I'll be the first to eat crow if we get less than a mid-first and a good prospect for him at the draft

Pick a team that you think will target this guy this summer, I can't think of one. There might be teams that think he could help as secondary scoring but that won't be worth any significant assets. The Habs are stuck with him unless they want to give him away. Otherwise, keep him for the year and see if you can get a 2nd at the deadline.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Pick a team that you think will target this guy this summer, I can't think of one. There might be teams that think he could help as secondary scoring but that won't be worth any significant assets. The Habs are stuck with him unless they want to give him away. Otherwise, keep him for the year and see if you can get a 2nd at the deadline.

The avatar fits.

Gandalf The Habs Fan

Oct 29, 2012
Québec
Plekanec got habs a second and leafs were happy of him! Im pretty sure a team will give a first round pick for Pacioretty. All thread involving Pacioretty don't end very well:laugh:

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor

Dallas, Florida, Edmonton, LA. You need goals in the NHL, I can see even more teams being interested in a proven 30-goal scorer. You don't need to be flashy to have value.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He is worth more than Nash so I guess a 1st pick, good prospect coming back is not too much asking. I find it funny how people give so much low value for Pacio, the team that will get him will get a pretty good goalscorer and I don’t give a s*** about playoffs stats. He played most of his games with Desharnais, jesus christ! Playing out of Montreal’s pressure will be a big + for him, look at Kessel now
From what I read on your board Montreal fans are kicking this guy out the door and wanting to strip him of the Captaincy.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
If you sign pacciorrety and you trade him the next week. What a guy like john tavares whi become UFA will think about it? We are not playing on xbox, but with humans. He will Just scratch montreal from his list. and not just for him. For a lot more players. Stop thinking that club will sign a player for trAde after

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
From what I read on your board Montreal fans are kicking this guy out the door and wanting to strip him of the Captaincy.

Because HF is all about prospects and currently we are not going to be contending anytime soon. Keeping Pac is not good asset management. You will also see people complaining about that Price contract, and wanting to kick out Weber too. Doesnt mean they arent good players, just that it doesn't fit the current situation of the team.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Because HF is all about prospects and currently we are not going to be contending anytime soon. Keeping Pac is not good asset management. You will also see people complaining about that Price contract, and wanting to kick out Weber too. Doesnt mean they arent good players, just that it doesn't fit the current situation of the team.
Agree.

And I expect Max to be dealt at the deadline for a Nash type return.

The problem is Bergevin says he doesn't foresee a full rebuild instead he speaks of retooling.

I think Max should be dealt but can you trust the GM?

Also many fans believe if they sign Tavares and Carlson they will be instantly a playoff team next year.

But Tavares isn't getting any younger either and I don't see him as the difference maker.

So if the plan is to tank why sign Tavares?

Or is the plan to retool?

Or If your expecting to be bad anyway Price isn't the player you want to keep long term. So try and deal him also, right?

Montreal seems to be at a Crossroads.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Yes but everyone knows that Habs fans are tough with their players. I’m not saying Pacioretty is not flawless but he does have a good value around the league and the team that will get him will have a really good goalscorer

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
After last year that's scary who the heck wants a guy till he is 38 7 million. I'm afraid he will only get 3-4 years 6mil after last year

Agree with this. At that price Ducks may as well sign JVR. And get a discount with the SoCal weather and beaches.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Yes but everyone knows that Habs fans are tough with their players. I’m not saying Pacioretty is not flawless but he does have a good value around the league and the team that will get him will have a really good goalscorer

Not as good as a JVR who is essentially free outside of a contract and no assets. And JVR >>> Patches by a huge huge margin.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I don’t think it matters because with the Canadiens drafting they are going to pick a bust anyhow.

2014 - 1st - Scherbak (26th overall) likely going to be a full time NHLer this season, could be a solid middle 6 winger
2015 - 1st - Juulsen (26th overall) is going to be in the NHL next year full time
2016 - 1st - Sergachev (9th overall) see: Tampa Bay (Bitten @ 70th, Mete @ 100th)
2017 -1st - Poehling (25th overall) is looking like a very promising young prospect (Ikonen @ 58, Fleury at 87, Primeau at 199)

The only time the Habs have made real errors were in 2013 with McCarron and 2010 with Tinordi. They drafted size over skill, and obviously that backfired. I actually don't even think either player was necessarily bad; I think both were brutally mismanaged by the tire-fire coaching the Habs farm system has had over the last 8 years, and I think that McCarron's style of play has just worn itself thin in the NHL over the last few years.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Lol holy feck, even if Patches has another year like this he's still going to fetch at least a first rounder at the TDL. Jesus christ this thread...

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Also many fans believe if they sign Tavares and Carlson they will be instantly a playoff team next year.

But Tavares isn't getting any younger either and I don't see him as the difference maker.

So if the plan is to tank why sign Tavares?

Or is the plan to retool?

Or If your expecting to be bad anyway Price isn't the player you want to keep long term. So try and deal him also, right?

Montreal seems to be at a Crossroads.

No intelligent Habs fan wants Carlson unless Weber is being moved; regardless it's completely irrational and unrealistic to expect Bergevin to trade Weber for anything short of a brutal overpayment; which nobody will be jumping to give him coming off an injury. It's a sad thing to say, but logically Weber is going nowhere so long as Bergevin is at the helm of this team.

Tavares fits right in with our major core 3 (Patches/Price/Weber) in terms of age, and after we shed ourselves of those three (at whatever point that may be, in 3 months or 7 years) our team officially enters a rebuild.

The plan isn't to tank, so long as we have Price and Weber, we can't tank --- they are both incredible players and single handedly will win games we don't deserve. Also, with the Moulson's owning the Habs, tanking will never be involved in our culture; the Habs being bad effects the beer sales, and that is a double whammy for Geoff --- winning is in our culture, and our fans expect to win, so winning is realistically the only option.

Tavares is absolutely the difference between this roster being a cup contender, and being average at best again. Our biggest problems are at C, and if we could sign Tavares and move Patches for a package including Bjugstad, our team immediately has C depth of Tavares/Bjugstad/Danault and wing depth of Drouin/Galchenyuk/Lehkonen and Zadina/Gallagher/Scherbak. The only missing piece at that point would be at LD, and with 4 second round picks, and 20m in cap space, there are options available to us.

Retool is basically moving Patches for a C. I don't even think we necessarily need a re-tool, we just need to bring in a top 4 LD and a solid C (or two)

Price won't be traded. He wouldn't be the easiest player to move due to position vs cost/term, but it would be movable. The problem just ends up being pride, and legacy

The Habs will not admit to being losers and trade away all of their good players to rebuild.

Bergevin especially trading Weber or Price basically signals himself that every move he made did the complete opposite of what was intended, and it is practically him admitting that he failed as a GM... it just won't happen.

Now, to OP,

Patches will fetch a pretty solid return.

Yandle (with 1 year on his deal) and a 4th was moved for Duclair, a 1st, John Moore and a 2nd.
Ladd was moved for Marko Dano and a 22nd overall pick.

I suspect Patches (due to his salary cost being so low, and his production historically being very good) will be bid on by two groups; teams that want him as a rental, and teams that want to resign him. Because there will be parties belonging to the latter group, his price will not be that of a rental, and instead that of a hockey trade. I suspect we see him moved to a team like Dallas for the 13th overall and an add like Shore or Methot, or to Florida for 15th overall + Bjugstad.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
There is a massive disconnect between Montreal and everyone else when it comes to Pacioretty.
Yep Montreal thinks that patches has elite status with 1 year pending and coming off horrbile season. Also they dont realize this is one of the deepest drafts for talent in last decade. First round caliber players are going to stretch into late 2nd round. Wouldnt be surprised if nhl players were found in 4th and 5th. (dimonds in the rough). Those things along with the fact that patches will want a long term and high paying contract after this year makes his value go down. In the Cap era ELC's and young players drive success and giving up those said young players and 3-8 years of use for a 1 year one and done player is just a bad thing these days. Also GMs learn from their mistakes. Milan Lucic to kings was a mistake for kings. They lost a lot and got little in return. That was also 5-6 years ago

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
It'll be hard to phone your fellow gm's with those handcuffs you just put on.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Plekanec got habs a second and leafs were happy of him! Im pretty sure a team will give a first round pick for Pacioretty. All thread involving Pacioretty don't end very well:laugh:
I think he will get a 2019 pick or a super late 25-31 pick that hasnt been traded to a team that missed the playoffs. But i dont think there are many. I highly doubt florida trades the 15th. To high quality of a player at that pick. only team i see doing it is washington, give them one more year before blowing it up. The rest of the teams in that area are not going all in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You deserve 2 min in the box. :pb:

You will eventually catch up when it comes to Patch's real value. :wally:

Gandalf The Habs Fan

Oct 29, 2012
Québec
I think he will get a 2019 pick or a super late 25-31 pick that hasnt been traded to a team that missed the playoffs. But i dont think there are many. I highly doubt florida trades the 15th. To high quality of a player at that pick. only team i see doing it is washington, give them one more year before blowing it up. The rest of the teams in that area are not going all in.
I understand but I think if a GM think Pacioretty can make his team better and if they are in need of a very good winger.

I guess a GM will want to trade for him even if he is not contending...Habs were not contending when they traded for Tanguay...Calorina too when they traded for Jordan Staal. You make trade when you think you will have a better team.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
If i’m Florida i’m not considering trading Bjustad, a big 50 pt c in his prime years signed for 3 more at 4.1 for Max. Let alone adding a 15th to make that wonderful deal happen.

As far as the Yandle comparison, it only shows one more example of a bad deal for the team getting the older guy. He was retraded 1 year later for a 6th and a cond. 4th.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
If i’m Florida i’m not considering trading Bjustad, a big 50 pt c in his prime years signed for 3 more at 4.1 for Max. Let alone adding a 15th to make that wonderful deal happen.

As far as the Yandle comparison, it only shows one more example of a bad deal for the team getting the older guy. He was retraded 1 year later for a 6th and a cond. 4th.
I could see a bjugstad for Patches deal happening in a vacuum. However, Bjugstad is a Tallon darling so moving him will be torture for Tallon. Assuming Tallon is willing to do the deal, I highly doubt the Panthers are stapling their 1st as well.

He's a 26 year old top 6 player on a solid contract imo the value is pretty close for a 30 year old patches on an expiring deal

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I understand but I think if a GM think Pacioretty can make his team better and if they are in need of a very good winger.

I guess a GM will want to trade for him even if he is not contending...Habs were not contending when they traded for Tanguay...Calorina too when they traded for Jordan Staal. You make trade when you think you will have a better team.

What??? Habs were not contending in 07-08 ( got Tanguay in June 08) when they finished first with 104 pts and then second 08-09?

Please check your facts.

Did not check your Carolina stuff...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I could see a bjugstad for Patches deal happening in a vacuum. However, Bjugstad is a Tallon darling so moving him will be torture for Tallon. Assuming Tallon is willing to do the deal, I highly doubt the Panthers are stapling their 1st as well.

He's a 26 year old top 6 player on a solid contract imo the value is pretty close for a 30 year old patches on an expiring deal
Not sure how you come up with close value when considering age, production, position, size.
Edit: and contract
And lets not forget you are adding a first. They dont do it 1-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad