Pacioretty "Barzal best skater in league"

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Considering Pacioretty's comment didn't stem from seeing such a thing initially, are you admitting it was baseless?
Yeah, probably. I don't agree at all with the idea that the players are the best judges. And I think McDavid is a better skater than Barzal. But none of that warrants this random bump of a two month old thread that came from a quote from Max f***in Pacioretty

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Considering Pacioretty's comment didn't stem from seeing such a thing initially, are you admitting it was baseless?
Well knowing McDavid is by far the consensus best skater. Topped 40km/h earlier this season.

Its kind of stupid of him to pump up someone else as 'the best skater'.

Today we witnessed how stupid of a comment it was.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lol, well this was a dumb comment. McDavid who played 27.5 minutes and pretty much the whole overtime DESTROYED Barzal.

Faster skater and better skater are 2 different things. Edge work and pivots and such.

Nobody can deny that McDavid is the fastest skater in the nhl and probably the world but a lot more goes into skating than just being fast.
And McDavid is a great skater but Barzal is just ridiculous

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
LOL why was this bump worthy? Are EDM fans really so insecure they have to bump 2 month old threads to defend McDavid's title as best skater?
maybe they just wanted a 2nd opinion since a couple homers on main GDT thread are claiming Barzal to be a better skater than McDavid.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, probably. I don't agree at all with the idea that the players are the best judges. And I think McDavid is a better skater than Barzal. But none of that warrants this random bump of a two month old thread that came from a quote from Max ****in Pacioretty
Then don't post in the thread? How about that?

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Faster skater and better skater are 2 different things. Edge work and pivots and such.

Nobody can deny that McDavid is the fastest skater in the nhl and probably the world but a lot more goes into skating than just being fast.
But McDavid is the best in NHL history at skating. His Edgework, Pivioting, Crossovers are the best in history. Sorry dude, I would not even say Barzal is a top 5 skater in the NHL.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

That really only matters if you're going to argue Barzal is better at those things. You can try, but the onus is on you to change minds.

McDavid is a better skater in pretty much every dimension than almost any NHLer in history. Again, if you're going to lean on attributes other than straight-line speed, prove Barzal is better.

"I don't have evidence, so here are some more platitudes".

Look, we know this subject means so much to you that you had to come into an opposing team's GDT to make excuses, but surely even you can admit this is a lost cause.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Are you serious? McDavids edgework and change of direction are the best parts of his game and why he’s so good defensively as we’ll generating takeaway after takeaway.

Having said that, Barzal is still fantastic in his own right.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I guess what Patch ment is that players like McDavid are almost impossible to defend against, but Barzal is just making you sweat your life all the time.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That really only matters if you're going to argue Barzal is better at those things. You can try, but the onus is on you to change minds.

McDavid is a better skater in pretty much every dimension than almost any NHLer in history. Again, if you're going to lean on attributes other than straight-line speed, prove Barzal is better.

"I don't have evidence, so here are some more platitudes".

Look, we know this subject means so much to you that you had to come into an opposing team's GDT to make excuses, but surely even you can admit this is a lost cause.

The funny thing is it’s all objective. You can’t prove that McDavid is. We just have the eye test. McDavid is amazing but my eye test tells me Barzal is right there neck and neck with him. Don’t be so insecure about your boy. He’s a stud.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The funny thing is it’s all objective. You can’t prove that McDavid is.

I mean, I can. He's the only player in NHL history to win back-to-back Fastest Skater titles.

We just have the eye test.

...which you literally just saw Barzal fail.

McDavid is amazing but my eye test tells me Barzal is right there neck and neck with him.

So neck-and-neck that Barzal had to swing his stick like he was Paul Bunyon to stop McDavid from scoring.

Don’t be so insecure about your boy. He’s a stud.

Again, I'm not the one venturing onto team boards trying to defend my "boy". That's the definition of insecurity.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
not the fastest that is Mcdavid IMO, Barzal is likely the most effective skater in the league though, guy uses his blade edges better than anyone I have ever seen and he does it at very high speeds

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Name 5 better “skaters” than Barzal. Go ahead. I’ll wait.
Off the top of my head.

McDavid (Obviously)
McKinnon
Eichel
Crosby
Haglin
Kane
Karlsson
Skininer
Josi
Nurse
Larkin
Cogliano
Grabner
Anthanasiou

Gaudreau And Kesler are very similar skaters to Barzal as well.

Edit: Forgot Duchane.

I am sure there are many more.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I mean, I can. He's the only player in NHL history to win back-to-back Fastest Skater titles.

...which you literally just saw Barzal fail.

So neck-and-neck that Barzal had to swing his stick like he was Paul Bunyon to stop McDavid from scoring.

Again, I'm not the one venturing onto team boards trying to defend my "boy". That's the definition of insecurity.

I was just pointing out that McDavid burned Barzal because Barzl was out for an extended shift. McDavid I have always maintained I believe is faster but what we saw in OT was not the true difference in speed. It wasn’t a “fastest skater” competition. It was a play where McDavid was already out in front and received a stretch pass and was being chased by a gassed Barzal.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
LOL why was this bump worthy? Are EDM fans really so insecure they have to bump 2 month old threads to defend McDavid's title as best skater?
Do you jump in and try and intervene anytime an old thread trashing edmonton is bumped when something happens?

No? Didn't think so.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Neither of which Barzal was in so it's irrelevant when comparing the two. Also that ignores that fastest top speed ≠ best.

And again, I think McDavid is a better skater. But this is just sad from Oilers' fans. C'mon guys. Everyone knows how good McDavid is. You don't need to bump 2 month old threads about rookies to prove it.

Reactions: SI90

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Off the top of my head.

McDavid (Obviously)
McKinnon
Eichel
Crosby
Haglin
Kane
Karlsson
Skininer
Josi
Nurse
Larkin
Cogliano
Grabner
Anthanasiou

You think Graber is a better skater than Barzal? Haglin?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Off the top of my head.

McDavid (Obviously)
McKinnon
Eichel
Crosby
Haglin
Kane
Karlsson
Skininer
Josi
Nurse
Larkin
Cogliano
Grabner
Anthanasiou

So all of those guys are better skaters than Barzal? Wow. Ok

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lol, well this was a dumb comment. McDavid who played 27.5 minutes and pretty much the whole overtime DESTROYED Barzal.

Lol, well this was a dumb bump. The fact that you can’t differiate between fastest skater and best skater speaks volumes. Personally I’d say Mcdavid is the better skater but him beating Barzal up the ice is hardly an indication of that. With that said I haven’t played against each player so I can’t really argue with Pacioretty, him suggesting Barzal is the best skater really isn’t that far off.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad