Pacioretty "Barzal best skater in league"

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don’t care if Barzal is a faster skater than McDavid.

I love Barzal for who he is and I don’t expect him to be better than one of the most highly touted 1st overall picks in NHL history.

Just because he’s not better than McDavid at something (or nothing), doesn’t mean he’s not a damn good player.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Momentum? He was going the wrong way. And for the millionth time, no one is saying Barzal is faster than McDavid.
You also said Grabner is a better skater than Barzal. Because he's faster?
Aaand McDavid has better edgework, faster, more explosive, he's just better bud. Nothing wrong with having McDavid lite. I mean it's not the real thing but it's the next best thing and dam good.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I am liking all the Barzal/McDavid talk... good to see Barzal's already being compared to McDavid.

This reminds me of like 5ish years ago when these 2 were being hyped up as the 2 next big things at the All Canadian Mentorship Cup

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Aaand McDavid has better edgework, faster, more explosive, he's just better bud. Nothing wrong with having McDavid lite. I mean it's not the real thing but it's the next best thing and dam good.
You would think that if McDavid was so much better at literally everything than everybody he would be like, ya know, so much better.

I have watched both players enough to have my opinion. I dont even know why this is such a thing... the biggest hype for McDavid wasent just how good of a skater he was, it was how good/fast he was while still carrying the puck. In my opinion Barzal has better edge work, and much less top speed. We are not comparing McDavid to Boychuk here... AINECs dont apply in this situation and is thrown around way too much around here.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You would think that if McDavid was so much better at literally everything than everybody he would be like, ya know, so much better.

I have watched both players enough to have my opinion. I dont even know why this is such a thing... the biggest hype for McDavid wasent just how good of a skater he was, it was how good/fast he was while still carrying the puck. In my opinion Barzal has better edge work, and much less top speed. We are not comparing McDavid to Boychuk here... AINECs dont apply in this situation and is thrown around way too much around here.
No one has McDavids edgework. Barzal is the next best thing. Dam good

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
I think Paciocretty has a little bit better understanding of the game and especially of the players he plays against on a consistent basis than some fans watching the games on TV.

'Nuff said

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
So McDavid can skate a lap around a hockey rink quicker. That’s interesting but not what my thread will be about.
McDavid would smash Hoffman all over the ice, blueline to blueline, around the rink, with the puck , without the puck head start or no head start. Doesn't matter. Go back to sleep it's already bedtime in Ottawa. Hoffman ??? Lol at least bring grabner or Ehlers or Larkin. What the heck is Hoffman in a best skater thread.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
McDavid would smash Hoffman all over the ice, blueline to blueline, around the rink, with the puck , without the puck head start or no head start. Doesn't matter. Go back to sleep it's already bedtime in Ottawa. Hoffman ??? Lol at least bring grabner or Ehlers or Larkin. What the heck is Hoffman in a best skater thread.

I honestly don’t know what to say at this point. I’d make a point but you’d probably miss it.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Most of the pro players say that Barzal is the best skater in terms of versality. So I don't understand what is the deal here, unless we want to talk about top speed..

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
McDavid crushes him (and everyone else) in speed, Gaudreau blows everyone away with edgework but Barzal has a decent combination of both but he seems to look a little awkward with his bent over style and his first step power needs a little work. Personally Barzal's skating is only about a 7 or 8 for me, but his patience with the puck and overall hockey IQ makes him a special player in my opinion. And yes, I'm smarter than Max ;)

Its an interesting perspective. Federov was the best player ever in my opinion, but was not the best ever in any of the 5 key categories:

1) skating
2) passing
3) accurate, hard shot
4) defensively
5) hockey sense/awareness

but he was very close to the best in all 5, so as a package Sergei was the best overall player I've ever seen.

My concern with MB over the long run is that he will rely too much upon his speed, which diminishes as one ages, so he need to continue developing other skills. Using Tavares as an example, who like Gretzky is a rather slow skater in open ice, is still very effective because he has worked hard to control play even in close quarters, especially in the slot.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
What makes Barzal one of the best skaters in the NHL, or according to Pacioretty the best skater. Is not only that he has a separation gear, but he is so elusive. His edge work is elite, he can stop on a dime, or be at top speed in literally steps. Also he is very strong on his skates. Rarely goes down. Really this will keep him at the top of the league as a player as long as he can skate like only he can. His other hockey skills just compliment his skating. McDavid and Barzal are the 2 best skaters in the NHL IMO. Top 1% of 1%.

As a major proponent of increasing NHL rink size to Olympic size, I'd love to see MB on a larger surface with more space. I'd also love to see him on the NYI play against one of the Swiss league teams in a friendly in EU like the rangers did a few years ago. He might score a hatter in each period with that much room.

Besides the NHL team owners, the next group of people fighting against enlarging the rinks would likely be NHL defensemen.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Islanders hit a home run drafting Barzal .

Devils HF board wanted him at 6th overall in a poll but our former head scout was a drunken fool and took Zacha

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I dunno man. Mike Hoffman topped Mcdavid’s top speed just a couple weeks ago. Will I see you in the ‘Hoffman is the best skater in the league’ thread?

I know this isn't in any way indicative of Hoffmans skating speed, but it's pretty funny:
McDavid makes Hoffman look like pylon, scores second of game - Sportsnet.ca

HAHAA I love bumping this thread. So much egg on so many faces.

McDavid is so far and away the best skater of all time. Speed, edgework, acceleration, explosiveness, boards... and people are trying to pretend like other players are better at some aspects therefore a better allround-skater.

The answer is CLEARLY "NO". Nobody is or ever has been a better skater than McDavid in the history of the NHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad