P. Kane defines the modern forward. Who defines the modern D?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Wouldn't it depend on the size and type of player?

I don't hear many of the bigger forwards coming in saying they model their game on Kane.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Petro and Josi have been mentioned plenty... Because they're the right answer.

I agree with the poster who said Hedman is a little too unique. The F example was Kane after all, not Sid or Ovi.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
P. Kane only defines bad behavior. Mc and Mac define the perfect forward today.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In recent years most defence prospects entering the league talk about modeling their game after Karlsson, Keith, and Doughty.

Different styles for different prospects.

Hardly anyone has Hedman’s size, so he doesn’t really fit for this question.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Someone like Maker. The game has become all about speed, agility, and overall movement. Slightly undersized defensenen who can move and pass are the modern day defensemen.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
People saying Hedman are crazy. He is the only guy combining the skill, speed, hands, two-way play AND he’s a monster physically. There aren’t going to be many players like him, ever.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Petro and Josi have been mentioned plenty... Because they're the right answer.

I agree with the poster who said Hedman is a little too unique. The F example was Kane after all, not Sid or Ovi.

Correct. Most defenseman can't model their game off of Hedman because of his physical attributes. Unless you are literally close to a mold of him, you can't play the game the same way and dominates like he does. I think Petro and Josi are the current right answers. Keith and Doughty a few years ago.

But you can't just 'be like' McD and MacK. They both have physical attributes that most players don't possess and thus can't harness the same abilities. I agree players may WANT to play like them but McD has an insane combination of size, speed, skill. Because he's a condor on the ice he can accelerate and burn past players like no other. Because of his long reach he can make plays that others just can't do. Same with MacK with his size and skating and physicality. If you don't have those god given gifts you can't just try to play like those guys.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
We consistently hear prospects talking about how they modeled their game after watching Patrick Kane. Who is the equivalent D? Is it still Lidstrom? EK? Keith?

Disagree with your original premise most vociferously. Patrick Kane's game is nothing new and many players would not attempt to model their game after his.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm 25. The golden standards growing up were guys like Keith, Seabrook, Weber, Chara, Doughty, Suter.

Players of prospect age (say 16 to 20) probably modeled after them and the guys who came shortly after, like EK65, Pietrangelo, Hedman, Josi.

I do find it unlikely that someone would model their game after a guy like EK65 for the simple reason that you require the tools. Like, you can't randomly decide to model your game after McDavid's, because he has insane physical tools.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
This may be a copout, but I feel that a young defenseman’s nationality or heritage will play a significant role in who they look up to and/or try to emulate.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Hedman is a good but not great defenseman. Many compare his game to Pronger but he has nothing on Prongers game and career.
Thanks for the laugh. I've never heard anyone compare him to Pronger until now. Good but not great?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
With the way the game is played now, I would say it’s someone like Pietrangelo. Not looking for the big hit, great at stick checking, great positioning, knows when to slow things down and when to speed things up. Can rush the puck and has a great outlet pass. He won’t get named, because he isn’t flashy, but from what I’m seeing as a coach, this is what most young players on D are looking to be.

Great answer. I’d think any D prospect would hope to have the movement of Makar or size of Hedman, but for a realistic player to model- ya, that sounds spot on.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
That's not the question though. Hard to mold your game after McDavid when his skating is the best in nhl history and hockey sense off the charts. His strengths are too unique.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Hedman is a special case, can't call him a defining defensemen when people can't replicate his size. Even though his play has dropped off pretty significantly, I'd say the answer is still Karlsson. Young defensemen entering the league now would have grown up modeling their game after him in his prime. Next generation it will probably be Makar.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Adam Fox seems to be right in the modern mold. Mid sized (Makar and Hughes aren't the formula, they're tiny. Most top defensemen are still 6 feet or so at least). Great skating, extremely good passing skills and very strong stick work. Every player's physical game is going to be entirely different from the next, no mold on that front.

Reactions: aufheben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad