P. Kane defines the modern forward. Who defines the modern D?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This may be a copout, but I feel that a young defenseman’s nationality or heritage will play a significant role in who they look up to and/or try to emulate.
That’s absolutely true. I don’t understand what it is you’re copping out of though?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Adam Fox seems to be right in the modern mold. Mid sized (Makar and Hughes aren't the formula, they're tiny. Most top defensemen are still 6 feet or so at least). Great skating, extremely good passing skills and very strong stick work. Every player's physical game is going to be entirely different from the next, no mold on that front.
Yes Makars size is really stopping him from becoming an elite defensman. At least he hits people.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes Makars size is really stopping him from becoming an elite defensman. At least he hits people.

I didn't say it worked against him nor did I say he wasn't elite. The topic is the typical mold of defenseman nowadays. I can safely say that the average top 4-top 2 defenseman in the league is not 5'11 or smaller, and overall that's not liable to change. Usually the smaller players become wingers where they can abuse their size and speed.

Pockets16

Jan 30, 2007
Hedman is a good but not great defenseman. Many compare his game to Pronger but he has nothing on Prongers game and career.

Really? his Conn Smythe, Norris trophy and numbers say otherwise. He might not have Prongers mean streak but he dominates the game in a different way and is very much a great defenseman,

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Hedman easily. Guys like makar though, its tough. You can be so fast and so good at things like makar but a little more size along with agility and speed too makes a huge difference, in my humble opinion

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Erik Karlsson without a doubt.
Makar modeled his game after Karlsson, Brannstrom, Liljegren, Boqvist, Dobson, Beaudin, Drysdale all probably wouldn’t be as prominent picks if it wasn’t for Karlsson.
He led the currency generation of defence men and inspired kids to be like him.

Reactions: Kamina

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
With the way the game is played now, I would say it’s someone like Pietrangelo. Not looking for the big hit, great at stick checking, great positioning, knows when to slow things down and when to speed things up. Can rush the puck and has a great outlet pass. He won’t get named, because he isn’t flashy, but from what I’m seeing as a coach, this is what most young players on D are looking to be.
I’ve always thought that Pietrangelo played like a worse version of Lidstrom

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I suspect that a lot of the names mentioned (Makar, Hughes, Fox) would say they modeled their game after Karlsson. Karlsson was a fleet-footed beast at both ends of the ice before injuries, age, and personal tragedy caught him.

Reactions: Kamina

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Model their game after? I feel Doughty was the most constant one you'd hear. Hedman's raw tools were too freaky. But, I'd say for forwards you'd probably hear Crosby the most for forwards. But, there is no one who completely revolutionized a position to the extent every goalie born after 1982 modelled their game after Roy (Hasek was as good or better, but trying to replicate his play-style wasn't realistic).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Kris Russell and his starfish ways.

In all seriousness, a player like Makar came to mind immediately.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Doughty in his "prime" years of play would be my vote. Right now it would be Hedman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad