Confirmed with Link: P.K.Subban traded to NJ for Santini, Davies, two 2nds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i’d be down for a frolik situation. even with an ideal start, like jim said, rookies usually hit some sort of wall in their first full season. wouldn’t mind incorporating frolik in a bottom 9 setting and then moving him up and down the lineup accordingly

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Frolik is more than fine if we don't have to give up anything of value.

He produced at a good clip last year (over half a point per game) and he only averaged 13:22 of ice time.

His production in 17-18 wasn't good, but he seemed to bounce back last year and with much less ice time.

You can probably get 37-44 points out of Frolik if he plays the whole season and receives adequate ice time. He's only 31 and he's probably gonna be a HUGE upgrade over Drew Stafford. Especially the one we've had since November of 2017.

Frolik averaged 66 seconds more of ice time per game last year than Stafford and scored 34 points in 65 games, to Stafford's 13 points in 57 games.
Let's not compare Frolik to Stafford, we didn't sign Stafford until after the season started and he only played because of a ridiculous rash of injuries and then the end of the season after we traded guys off.

Stafford is not part of this equation.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's not compare Frolik to Stafford, we didn't sign Stafford until after the season started and he only played because of a ridiculous rash of injuries and then the end of the season after we traded guys off.

Stafford is not part of this equation.
We did sign Stafford the year before that, but it was in late August, after almost every UFA that was gonna be signed was already signed. I never disliked the Stafford signing the first time, I was pretty much just meh on it. Seemed like another Stempniak, Tlusty or Parenteau type one year signing or waiver claim veteran forward that Shero had brought on his first couple years here.

So I had no problem with it and he was good until maybe a month into that season.

Frolik is still probably a bit better now than Stafford was when we first signed him.

And is Frolik good at the shootout? I feel like he might be? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Frolik did play pretty extensively with Tkachuk and Backland. And his 5v5 shooting % was the best since his rookie year. 9.5% this year. 4.14 last year, 6.67 the year before. So his #'s are probably a bit skewed.

He does get a decent amount of shots on net though. A very consistent 9ish per 60 over the last 6 years.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Not really the place for this because its the Subban thread. But i think i would rather sign Ferland then trade for Frolik. He is younger and i dont think he is going to cost a crazy amount. He has also outscored Frolik the last 2 season.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Because it seems every single person is undervaluing that cap space. 9 Mil per for 3 years is a lot to absorb.

Two 2nd rounders, 2 D prospects and getting rid of 9 million in cap space for 3 years is no small package in my opinion.

Nashville obviously couldn't take any money coming back to meet their needs so any deal was most likely going to be picks and prospects...We gave up 4 assets plus took on the total 27 million. I don't think that is peanuts.
9 million is a lot, but 3 years is the kicker. It's easily the best part about the deal. The Devils have cap space now, but they're basically only guaranteed cap space now. If we keep Hall he's probably getting north of 10 and Nico's looking like he's getting in the neighborhood of 8, but none of those deals will kick in until 2020-2021. Hughes, if he becomes everything he's advertised to be, will get a monster contract in 2021-2022. It's going to be hard to project what the cap will be like that far in advance and with labor talks in between, but if Marner's talks are any indication, we're going to have to fork over a lot of cash.

By the time we get to Hughes' contract we will probably be near the cap ceiling, that's the beauty of Subban's contract. It's off before we hit the big issues. If we signed a Myers or even a Stralman, we're getting locked into a 5-6+ long contract. Taking on Subban's contract is much more reasonable in comparison. Plus we would never get someone of PK's caliber on the open market with the flexibility of a three year deal.

Reactions: devilsblood

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Frolik would play the Zubrus role. Just give you a balanced all-around forward who can play all three positions and in any situation.

If we strike out in the UFA pool, I wouldn't mind adding him for cheap.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Is it weird that i'm more excited about seeing Subban in Devils red next season than Jack Hughes.

First the media conference call that he cant wait to get to NJ, his body is healthy and is motivated to prove doubters wrong.

Then seeing him today on social media wearing his own Subban Devils jersey, shooting the puck and working out on the ice. He can't wait to get started and I can't wait for the season to start. Let's Go!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is it weird that i'm more excited about seeing Subban in Devils red next season than Jack Hughes.

First the media conference call that he cant wait to get to NJ, his body is healthy and is motivated to prove doubters wrong.

Then seeing him today on social media wearing his own Subban Devils jersey, shooting the puck and working out on the ice. He can't wait to get started and I can't wait for the season to start. Let's Go!

It's not weird, even if Hughes obviously should have the longer-term impact. But we also knew we were getting Hughes pretty much since early April, the Subban thing is still new and unexpected news. Plus we know what Subban is and who he is, the book on Hughes hasn't even started yet.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm excited, but also dreading the inevitable overreaction from certain posters the first time he makes a mistake.
''Why did we need Subban for? WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED FOR A DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN!''.:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad