P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Unless the Habs struggle in the absence of their best D-man, play-driver, and arguably best and most impactful player.

Agreed. But it's a gamble the team may be forced to take. Someone else posted that if the Habs have a good first week, Meehan will blink first; if the team starts slow, Bergevin will be the one blinking. Makes sense to me. I'm still hoping a last-minute agreement avoids this staring contest.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I can't believe we're back to the lockout mindset all over again. They had months to talk in the summer. Months to plan the approach. They have to know eachothers' positions inside out. There really aren't that many different ways this can go. Holding on to the very last minute and hoping that the other side finally cracks, or gives slightly better terms just because it's the last minute... :help:

Habs mgmt must have a different perspective of Subban than I do, since I'm offering $50M/8yrs. So that bugs me. Flip side, PK can't want too badly to play right now, which bugs me too, after all this lockout stuff you'd think the players would be totally psyched to get back out there. He'll know one of his options is probably a 1-year deal at something rather less than he wanted... but which will get pro-rated down and tax-devoured to the point where it's not so much less than it appears. He could be on the ice if he really really wanted to be.

Hopefully the new Benn and Kulikov comparables are favourable. The Del Zotto case is pretty much too far off to fit... truly a case there of a player "caving" because he just wanted back on the ice badly enough, looks like. Wish we had that. :(

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

PK is a special player, plain and simple.

I have the very bad feeling that bergevin is trying to teach PK a lesson... sigh. Hope I'm wrong.

PricePkPatch*

Counterproductive, I think. I can picture Meehan sitting with his calculator, raising the price by one hundred-thousand for each chant.

Don't be silly. It would be stupid for Meehan to rise his price.

They probably want to see if said chants will be chanted to see how much each has to flex their position

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Counterproductive, I think. I can picture Meehan sitting with his calculator, raising the price by one hundred-thousand for each chant.

The chant can go either way. Saturday night if we get blown out by the leafs... Don't forget, fans are already fed up after that lockout.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Pk chant tonight?

Just like the lock out both sides dont care about the fans

Games will be sold out with or without PK
Team finished 15th with PK playing 81 games cant do worse
Tv ratings wont drop cause PK is staying home

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Subban has been a slow starter in the past, and he hasn't been playing at all since the begining of the season. I know he trains hard, but in my opinion it can't replace game time completely. Has he thought of the consequences if he manage to become one if not the highest paid player in the team, and struggle all season long to regain his form? The fans are ready to accept inconscistency from their prospects, but they are rabid against their well paid vets. I hope Subban see this scenario, because for a media darling like him, the fall could be very hard. In Montreal the line between savior and spacegoat can be pretty thin. Ask Price about it.

This is a very good point, although unfairly I think the nature of PK's position and what he does (more comparable to Kovalev) will insulate him from an acrimonious relationship with the fans.

I mean to agree on a situation in which he fails to perform after getting the contract. I think he's ready to step into a game. Maybe not coaching/system-wise, but fitness, all reports say he is. Still, results aren't guaranteed.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I have the very bad feeling that bergevin is trying to teach PK a lesson... sigh. Hope I'm wrong.

I have the same feeling.

I different, but altogether negative feeling about management's view of Eller as well. Just want the season to start.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I can definitely understand Bergevin taking a hard-line approach to this. He hasn't been around the team, but I'm guessing he has reports of PK not being great in the locker room and wants to see for himself before he offers a long term commitment to the guy. Not saying there is anything to those reports, as no one who is not part of the team can know for sure, but Bergevin has not been with the team for any games played yet. It makes sense that he would want more info on Subban first hand before he offers him a long term deal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just curious would anyone trade Subban for Benn if we could then flip Plekanec for a very good top pairing dman?
I hate the idea of trading away our young prospects, esp ones that are proven. This contract crap will pass and we'll forget all about this mess...
I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

My guess is that Meehan wants Doughty dollars for PK. 7 years at 8 mil or something crazy like that. Meehan's a pig and this is straight out of his playbook. Once I hear his name I know there's going to be trouble.
I can't believe we're back to the lockout mindset all over again. They had months to talk in the summer. Months to plan the approach. They have to know eachothers' positions inside out. There really aren't that many different ways this can go. Holding on to the very last minute and hoping that the other side finally cracks, or gives slightly better terms just because it's the last minute... :help:

Habs mgmt must have a different perspective of Subban than I do, since I'm offering $50M/8yrs. So that bugs me. Flip side, PK can't want too badly to play right now, which bugs me too, after all this lockout stuff you'd think the players would be totally psyched to get back out there. He'll know one of his options is probably a 1-year deal at something rather less than he wanted... but which will get pro-rated down and tax-devoured to the point where it's not so much less than it appears. He could be on the ice if he really really wanted to be.

Hopefully the new Benn and Kulikov comparables are favourable. The Del Zotto case is pretty much too far off to fit... truly a case there of a player "caving" because he just wanted back on the ice badly enough, looks like. Wish we had that. :(
As I said above, Meehan wants Doughty dollars. Won't surprise me in the least if this becomes a six year 42 million dollar deal or more...

Nope, it's Meehan being Meehan. I knew we'd have some trouble with this.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I'm hosting the game at my place with me (only Hab fan) and 5 leaf fans. (Although my place is pretty Habbed-out so somewhat intimidating). I will demand that we watch the opening on RDS, before they demand that we watch it on CBC since their multiple years of taking French in the Ontario school system has resulted in them knowing less French than Gionta. No...seriously.

If things go wrong, I will constantly be citing the absence of PK.

My friends will all appear to have Therrien faces, denying my claims, "No excuses!"

Really hoping for a great offensive night and for Carey to have a vintage shutting the door game. Already starting to have palpitations.

Saintpatrick*

People were reporting that they couldn't find Kulikov for the past couple days. He was reported AWOL..

MacGuire is saying that Don Meehan won't let PK Subban's career get damaged, and a deal will get done soon. He wasn't saying it would be done by Saturday though.

I so hope this is true I have a feeling MB will get his way and get his 2 year contract. I hope he signs for longer though.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
People were reporting that they couldn't find Kulikov for the past couple days. He was reported AWOL..

MacGuire is saying that Don Meehan won't let PK Subban's career get damaged, and a deal will get done soon. He wasn't saying it would be done by Saturday though.

Can be interpreted multiple ways. Does that mean he will make sure PK is well-compensated (more than most of us would prefer) and for many years? That he will make sure that he has the option of free agency? That he doesn't want to come to blows with the Habs management so he will give a little?
I wonder what he envisions as a damaged career for PK Subban or rather what it would take to avoid that.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Subban has been a slow starter in the past, and he hasn't been playing at all since the begining of the season. I know he trains hard, but in my opinion it can't replace game time completely. Has he thought of the consequences if he manage to become one if not the highest paid player in the team, and struggle all season long to regain his form? The fans are ready to accept inconscistency from their prospects, but they are rabid against their well paid vets. I hope Subban see this scenario, because for a media darling like him, the fall could be very hard. In Montreal the line between savior and spacegoat can be pretty thin. Ask Price about it.

I'm with this guy.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

It makes absolutely zero sense to me. Marc Bergevin is picking his battles, unfortunately he's picking the wrong ones.

Four years to Brandon Prust at 10 million, but playing hardball with our best defender. I'm tired of ex-players and their complete lack of understanding with running a business.

The bridge contract nonsense is so silly. You pay players based on their worth, not on their age.

We finally have a keeper who wants to be here long term and we fight tooth and nail to save every penny. Ridiculous.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
It makes absolutely zero sense to me. Marc Bergevin is picking his battles, unfortunately he's picking the wrong ones.

Four years to Brandon Prust at 10 million, but playing hardball with our best defender. I'm tired of ex-players and their complete lack of understanding with running a business.

The bridge contract nonsense is so silly. You pay players based on their worth, not on their age.

We finally have a keeper who wants to be here long term and we fight tooth and nail to save every penny. Ridiculous.

We do NOT know the exact numbers here so don't jump to conclusions too early!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad