P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

id4joey

Jan 9, 2013
Montreal
Fan Fav

It's going to get ugly in Montreal if they don't sign PK after the hockey fans just went through this lockout. PK is a fan favorite so the Habs better sign him very soon.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

PK is a special player, plain and simple.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Maybe this is part of the fan giveback.

During the opening ceremony, players introduced (AK makes cameo appearance to say his two words), crowd will inevitably be chanting PK. (Book it!)

All of a sudden lights go out and a confused murmur comes over the crowd. A minute later a light in the ceiling appears and PK parachutes down holding a lit torch to hit center ice initiating the full ice fire graphic.

It is then revealed that due to a recently written clause in the CBA (since it's now tots open to re-writing), you may hide a contract signing for reasons of suspense. Also, Meehan then goes on to win the world poker tournament.

PricePkPatch*

During the opening ceremony, players introduced (AK makes cameo appearance to say his two words), crowd will inevitably be chanting PK. (Book it!)

All of a sudden lights go out and a confused murmur comes over the crowd. A minute later a light in the ceiling appears and PK parachutes down holding a lit torch to hit center ice initiating the full ice fire graphic.

It is then revealed that due to a recently written clause in the CBA (since it's now tots open to re-writing), you may hide a contract signing for reasons of suspense. Also, Meehan then goes on to win the world poker tournament.

:handclap:

Thank you for the 20 seconds of daydreaming you just gave me...

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

LMAO. :laugh:

Is this the WWE?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm not getting the hold up. Given Subban's status as an high-end #1 D-man, a long-term deal would be heavily to the benefit of the club, assuming the dollar amount was reasonable.

Unless Bergevin is following the insanity of some of the Montreal media and using del Zotto as a comparable (and, therefore, heavily lowballing Subban) I'm not getting his reticence.

Good to have you back MathMan. You're bang on too.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

quoted for truth

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
"Nothing new," @PKSubban1 agent Don Meehan texts me of negotiations with #Habs that we can assume are now fully stalled

eh....

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
PK's bargaining power goes down once the season starts. Right now, he's a big story. In two days, he becomes overshadowed by the team, the league and the games, all going on with or without him. Once everyone's caught up in the action, the contract woes of a single player won't seem as important.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
PK's bargaining power goes down once the season starts. Right now, he's a big story. In two days, he becomes overshadowed by the team, the league and the games, all going on with or without him. Once everyone's caught up in the action, the contract woes of a single player won't seem as important.

Unless the Habs struggle in the absence of their best D-man, play-driver, and arguably best and most impactful player.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

Agree. It's my preferred situation, although what I can surmise from the current gridlock is that he is asking for an unreasonable amount in the long-term situation.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland

It's not quite that simple, there is an issue with eating into his free agent years, the best option would be to sign him to a short term deal(which MB wants to do) Then sign him to a long term deal

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I said precisely the same thing yesterday and still believe it'll play out the way we both want, with a long-term deal. Lock him in for six years at a mildly inflated price, versus saving a couple of million now but having to pay wildly inflated prices after two years. It's bad economics and bad management strategy.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Subban has been a slow starter in the past, and he hasn't been playing at all since the begining of the season. I know he trains hard, but in my opinion it can't replace game time completely. Has he thought of the consequences if he manage to become one if not the highest paid player in the team, and struggle all season long to regain his form? The fans are ready to accept inconscistency from their prospects, but they are rabid against their well paid vets. I hope Subban see this scenario, because for a media darling like him, the fall could be very hard. In Montreal the line between savior and spacegoat can be pretty thin. Ask Price about it.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
It's going to get ugly in Montreal if they don't sign PK after the hockey fans just went through this lockout. PK is a fan favorite so the Habs better sign him very soon.

Can go both ways. Some fans will urge Bergi to sign him at all costs. They'll get mad at him for either taking so long, losing him or signing for too much. Some fans will hate PK for being so difficult and wanting to cash in.

I don't blame PK for wanting to cash in. He has a right to. He was important for us ever since he came to the team. Sure last year he wasn't as impressive. But the entire team sucked... What annoys me is that they can't seem to find a common ground. I'd rather they either sign him, or move on at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad