P.K. Subban Thread IX: 'Try to make this one last longer than a day' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not if he proves himself with three 75 plus pt seasons. Otherwise yes.. he should.

you mean 2 75 pt + seasons.if galchenyuk does that he will be commanding upwards of 6 mil per.bergevin gonna lowball him too?

Bergevin is NOT lowballing anyone.......Stop this madness!

PK is worth about 3 to 3.5 mil a season on a two year contract right now....
It's comparable to what a guy like Pietrangelo makes who will be a RFA next year.
In two years if Subban continues to improve and display the character required he will get his MASSIVE payday.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Habtchum*

PK had the whole week-end (the whole last 8 months) to think about it, and no decision made yet ?

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
PK had the whole week-end (the whole last 8 months) to think about it, and no decision made yet ?

He is meeting Meehan today, the linked article earlier stated that details from that meeting will be known by tonight.

My guess is they make a final choice between:

1) Sign the Habs Offer
2) Request a trade

Saintpatrick*

It's all about negotiation tactics which side will blink first. I have a feeling it will be Subban. I don't think MB is budging.

Habtchum*

He is meeting Meehan today, the linked article earlier stated that details from that meeting will be known by tonight.

1) Sign the Habs Offer
2) Request a trade

Not really in position to do that. Bergevin could just shut him for the rest of the season, or even more.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
It seems clear now: either Subban takes Habs contract offer or he leave for good. And i cant imagine that new GM will deep squatting in front of the RFA kid. No way.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I would never ever trade PK to NYR Boston Toronto or Ottawa........

To Boston Toronto and Philly would be the worse... If they really want Subban, I'd make sure the premium they pay for Subban would cripple their club for the next decade.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

1) Sign the Habs Offer
2) Request a trade
As a fan, I pray for Door #1. If I was PK's dad/agent/friend I'd say take Door #2. Of course, if he requests a trade I'm sure the Habs will be in no rush to oblige him, so if I was PK's dad/agent/friend I'd also be telling him to get on a plane to Russia asap, before their roster freeze date. He can make as much money over there as the Habs are apparently offering him, anyway. And the Habs can decide what they can live with in terms of asset devaluation.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011

1) Sign the Habs Offer
2) Request a trade

I think he could go out look for a offer sheet too. Say he finds one at the 4 year 4-4.5 year range does Berg match considering how adament he is about not doing more than a 2 years at a low number.

Media would be all over him saying why not just do that in the first place, he would lose some credibility really early in his tenure if he matches.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
at the end of the day this is PK's decision,not his agents, ...he(PK) will decide if he wants to accept the deal ,or to be moved..it is the players decision 100%

Again, why Montreal doesn't offer him a 6 yr deal is way beyond me....

3.0 million year 1
3.9 million year 2
4.5 million year 3
4.5 million year 4
5.5 million year 5
5.5 million year 6..

everyone is happy happy, and Habs get a good long term bargain too....

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I think he could go out look for a offer sheet too. Say he finds one at the 4 year 4-4.5 year range does Berg match considering how adament he is about not doing more than a 2 years at a low number.

Media would be all over him saying why not just do that in the first place, he would lose some credibility really early in his tenure if he matches.

I sincerely doubt there will be an offer sheet coming his way now if there hasn't been one yet.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I sincerely doubt there will be an offer sheet coming his way now if there hasn't been one yet.

there will only be an offer sheet if PK says he is willing to sign one,..otherwise a waste of time ..

As leafs said when question out going after Pk with AN offer sheet.....they said why would they give PK an offer sheet,Montreal would just match it ...

Habtchum*

Owners brotherhood just spent four months fighting for a new CBA with the NHLPA. No one will go this route... for the time being

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
there will only be an offer sheet if PK says he is willing to sign one,..otherwise a waste of time ...

Several people have said (include Bobby Mac in Team 690 for example) that other teams are not going to offer sheet him because they know it is a waste of time since the Habs will match anything offered.

I think it has to do more with that than anything else. Now if the Habs start shopping him, that might be a different story.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
While people like Bob McKenzie keep saying that the way Montreal plays won't affect the negotiations between Subbans camp and the Habs, I believe that the three wins in a row, with 12 goals for and 5 goals against will play in Subbans decision. I think he will accept the offer.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I would accept a trade with Flyers

Subban + Eller for Couturier + Coburn + 1st

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

That would be an okay trade at the deadline to get the most out of that 1st, because Subban is exactly what the Flyers need to be a contender again and if done early that 1st would be worth little.

But it would satisfy the Couturier obsession.

Habtchum*

Not to the Flyers, PLEASE !

I don't want to re live the Desjardins-Leclair trade to them.

If he's traded, I hope it's for a team far away in the West for excellent young assets.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Interesting point. Means Habs are a little tighter but the bonus can be carried over to next year I think (which does not look much better cap wise. Realistically it means the Habs would have to trade Kaberle if Subban signs.

Here is today's "basic roster"... 13F/7D/2G... add your 23rd player as you will and leave some wiggle room for the Blundens and so on going up and down... there is $11.3M cap space on a $70.2M cap. With all of the rookie bonuses included. There is no issue signing Subban at any number. That's what removing a $7.357M charge to Gomez will do for ya...

EDIT: yeah, so don't remove Gomez and it leaves only $3.943M, which means unless you want to delve into the bonus cushion, it could put a practical upper limit on Subban. :facepalm:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.00m)
Ryan White ($0.6875m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
------
= $58.8905M

Then if you want to talk 2013-14...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($2.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Ryan White ($0.722m)
Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / xxxx
Yannick Weber ($0.945m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.250m)
------
= $58.473M

.... This is basically the same as above, just allowing QO RFA raise to White&Weber, promoting Dumont as the extra forward and letting Colby Armstrong walk, doing our 2nd compliance buyout on Kaberle (or hoping he got traded), token raise to Budaj, $2M to Desharnais... even keeping Bouillon around for fun (but hey, he has been fine so far this year - can always get a cheap vet/subsitute for that $1.5M if needed)... all on a $64.3M cap... leaves around $5.8M to accomodate Subban.

You could keep both Subban and Kaberle by using bonus cushions here if you had to, of course.

Anyway, there's no deal to Subban that leaves us in any trouble. If we sign him for $2M less than he might otherwise get, it's just a bit more money to consider using to spruce up the roster elsewhere, basically... although there aren't a ton of spots where the sprucing is likely to happen...

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

That trade has the potential to be a disaster. Could you imagine Eller develops into a top 6 centreman? Would be God awful considering Coburn would never even come close to Subban and Couturier could potentially only be slightly better than Eller. I don't see a trade here at all.

In fact, I think we lose in any trade we deal Subban in unless we somehow pick the next big star with an acquired pick or some prospect develops far beyond his expectations.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I believe we retain the cap the cap hit for this year, but have long deferred to your expertise on these such matters if my recollection is incorrect. :)

This year only ya.

And trading Subban is just dumb and should not even be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad