P.K. Subban Thread IX: 'Try to make this one last longer than a day' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Several people have said (include Bobby Mac in Team 690 for example) that other teams are not going to offer sheet him because they know it is a waste of time since the Habs will match anything offered.

I think it has to do more with that than anything else. Now if the Habs start shopping him, that might be a different story.

That's what I don't fully understand. If habs are willing to match a higher # or longer term, why not just up there offer a bit during these negotiations.

There are some teams I think wouldn't really care about perception, Philly, Boston and NYR all come to mind. if they think it will put them over the top why not make a move, especially if the Habs do match, he will get a lot of heat for letting it get this far as opposed to just giving PK a better offer all along.

I agree its doubtful, but Meehan has pull to, I don't think they have looked at trying to acquire offer sheets yet but I wouldn't say there is no chance. I've said it before somewhere here, people always forget the Free Agent part of RFA.

FlyingRat

May 15, 2010
I think he could go out look for a offer sheet too. Say he finds one at the 4 year 4-4.5 year range does Berg match considering how adament he is about not doing more than a 2 years at a low number.

Media would be all over him saying why not just do that in the first place, he would lose some credibility really early in his tenure if he matches.

For 4M to 4.5M, Bergevin matches before PK finishes signing his name.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This seems to be the crux of the issue for me, 4-4.5mil gets matched in a sec, but you don't offer above (reportedly) 2.55mil?

Not a Habs fan, but trying to get a grip on this one.

Bergevin doesn't want to sign him to a contract worth 4+. An offersheet is a different story but why would a team attempt to sign Subban to an offersheet when they know it will be matched? Why piss off another GM and open yourself up for something in the future?

And as of right now PK seems to want to stay in Montreal, so maybe he's not out seeking an offersheet?

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Bergevin doesn't want to sign him to a contract worth 4+. An offersheet is a different story but why would a team attempt to sign Subban to an offersheet when they know it will be matched? Why piss off another GM and open yourself up for something in the future?

And as of right now PK seems to want to stay in Montreal, so maybe he's not out seeking an offersheet?

So is there an understanding on this board that Bergevin might be playing hardball to the team's detriment?

To see Hedman and Carlson get paid, and then to offer Subban 2.55 seems ridiculous from a non-Hab fan's perspective (and big PK fan).

FlyingRat

May 15, 2010

I'm not sure about the rules, but I think I read/heard somewhere that a RFA can't contact other teams looking for offer sheets, they can only receive them.

SeriousHabs

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
This seems to be the crux of the issue for me, 4-4.5mil gets matched in a sec, but you don't offer above (reportedly) 2.55mil?

Maybe Bergevin's argument is that if no one offer sheets him for $4M, then there is no reason for him to go that high. He will match an offer, but until such an offer is made, there is no reason to offer such money.

As they say in The Wire: seniority sucks!

Realistically, Bergervin doesn't want to sign Subban too early because we would simply be too good for the league. For the health of the NHL, we have to control our utter dominance. :sarcasm:

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
I'm not sure about the rules, but I think I read/heard somewhere that a RFA can't contact other teams looking for offer sheets, they can only receive them.

Yeah it'll be interesting if we see PK hit up his old buddies at Sportsnet to start spreading the news that he's looking around.

What a frenzy that will become.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal

Dont even try.. there is no logic behind these move outside trying to break subban wich in itself should be enough for many to just want to be traded instead.

If we lose subbam over such a ridiculous reason and we dont get PREMIUM return i will lose lottts of respect for the organisation.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
That's what I don't fully understand. If habs are willing to match a higher # or longer term, why not just up there offer a bit during these negotiations.

There are some teams I think wouldn't really care about perception, Philly, Boston and NYR all come to mind. if they think it will put them over the top why not make a move, especially if the Habs do match, he will get a lot of heat for letting it get this far as opposed to just giving PK a better offer all along.

I agree its doubtful, but Meehan has pull to, I don't think they have looked at trying to acquire offer sheets yet but I wouldn't say there is no chance. I've said it before somewhere here, people always forget the Free Agent part of RFA.

Habs would match and either keep Subban or trade him once CBA requirements/delays are met. One way or another, the offering club gains nothing, they force the Habs to pay more for Subban, they can expect the same treatment when they sign an RFA, and there's still some stigma associated with offer sheets that might hinder deals in the future. Deep pockets of the Habs can cause another franchise more trouble than cash-strapped Nashville.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Luc Gelinas ‏@LucGelinasRDS
Non. En partant, prendre 48 h pour analyser l'offre, c'est déjà une farce. RT @profts: As-tu des nouvelles de la réflexion de PK?

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If Montreal is to trade Subban trade him to Colorado.

Ryan O'Reilly Height 6.00 -- Weight 205 -- Shoots L - Centre - 21 years old
Erik Johnson - Height 6.05 -- Weight 227 -- Shoots R - Def - 24 years old

for

PK Subban, Desharnais, Eller and 2nd

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Luc Gelinas ‏@LucGelinasRDS
Non. En partant, prendre 48 h pour analyser l'offre, c'est déjà une farce. RT @profts: As-tu des nouvelles de la réflexion de PK?

Right. Talks were had on Friday, the 48 hours covers the weekend. Today, they met back and will discuss it further. I hope they come to an agreement, I don't think the Habs fans can take it for much longer. I fear eventually, this fanbase may turn on P.K..

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Right. Talks were had on Friday, the 48 hours covers the weekend. Today, they met back and will discuss it further. I hope they come to an agreement, I don't think the Habs fans can take it for much longer. I fear eventually, this fanbase may turn on P.K..

I'm almost surprised given his popularity that fans aren't turning on Bergevin.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Well with Galchenyuk staying and making so much money this year I'm sure the PK situation is going to be resolved one way or another. I'm a little surprised that Galchenyuk got all that money when the easy move would have been to send him down...but obviously that didn't happen.

I can't see how they can pay him less than Galchenyuk on his entry level deal...as much as I believe in a hometown discount that would be difficult to swallow for PK. I think the habs are going to move him.

Galchenyuk is only making like 850k unless he makes bonuses...which are not easily attainable.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

for

Are we getting Landeskog and Duchene or O'reilly and Johnson? That would be a horrible trade for the Habs. Just DD PK and Eller for those two is overpayment.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

for

Of course, O'Reilly has his own contractual issues similar to that of PKs... and Johnson's ankle is hamburger.

Eventually? I know he hasn't won himself any favors with me that's for sure.

We'll see if he can put his mouth where his wallet is, or if his will to cash in is stronger than his will to play with us, wait two years making a meager 2.5 millions a year, and then maybe becoming the best paid defenseman in the NHL. If he can make that amazing sacrifice and not disrupt the great locker room we have now when he comes back, they should give him Doughty money + in two years.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Subban must not want to go the same route as his friend Carey Price did, take a bridge deal then sign for a longer term. He knows what he wants and seems to be willing to sit it out until he gets it. You either have to admire his guts or condemn his stupidity. He is a wonderful talent but I keep hearing about the locker room stuff(could be false) that makes me wonder just ho bad they want him back. If Kaberle is getting 4 million then I guess PK should be able to get 6million and maybe thats the way he looks at it. I realize we did'nt sign Kaberle to such a contract but we are paying for it so lets do the same for PK.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Of course, O'Reilly has his own contractual issues similar to that of PKs... and Johnson's ankle is hamburger.

Wasn't aware of Johnson's ankle but I love O'Reily

How about Landeskog and O'Reily for Subban Desharnais Eller and a 1st

I know wishful thinking....but If Montreal has to trade Subban then teams should overpay or no deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->