P.K Subban Thread 4.0 - Still Unsigned Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habtchum*

Thre is no valid reasons to not have PK signed and in the line up right now.

If Molson is serious about giving back to fans after such a long lockout, he should order Bergevin to sign PK instead of giving free hot dogs and pops. At least PK is a real hotdog who can help the team to win.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

If Molson is serious about giving back to fans after such a long lockout, he should order Bergevin to sign PK instead of giving free hot dogs and pops. At least PK is a real hotdog who can help the team to win.

even with PK on it, our D corp is bad... and our forward corp as well.

Habtchum*

I did not say that the team would win, but it would HELP somehow. The D would be stronger for sure.

But as I said many times, I just want Bergevin to give him a bridge contract but at a price that mirror his accomplishments and talent, about 4 million a year for a couple of seasons.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Not sure I completely agree with you there about the D corps, but that's assuming Markov finds his ways again.
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-PK

That's not a bad top 4, at all. A lot depends on Markov getting back into it, and Emelin performing well, but it could happen.
Gets uglier in the bottom six, but I have no issues with Diaz. He's a good young Dman. Would just have been better for him to be paired with a bigger defensive D.
All in all, I think we can have a pretty solid top 4.

Don't have much to argue about for the forwards though, I agree. Especially if Therrien doesn't break that first line up.

That being said, PK remains your best player (or if you really want to argue, your top 3), for that reason alone he should be signed.

DatsyukNumberOne*

This is unbelievable that he hasn't signed yet. "Anything to win" Yeah, except signing our best player..what baloney.

Bekbe

Aug 30, 2009
Quebec
I did not say that the team would win, but it would HELP somehow. The D would be stronger for sure.

But as I said many times, I just want Bergevin to give him a bridge contract but at a price that mirror his accomplishments and talent, about 4 million a year for a couple of seasons.

you read my mind :handclap: but in fact its a year ans a half....so wake up P.K !

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think both sides have dug their heels in and will wait and see what happens in the next 5-10 games in an effot to try to get some leverage over the other side.

I understand MB can't give up the farm for his first major challenge or it'll set a bad example to the other agents who'll think they can just roll ovwer him. This is about more than PK, it's about setting a tone, so I'm not terribly upset.

I will say, that ater the last lock out, only 1 team who was outside the playoff picture after the 1st month made the playoffs. That tells me that ifwe're on the outside looking in after the first month and still haven't signed PK, I'd make him sit for the rest of the season. No need to sign him if we most likely won't make the playoffs.

At that point, I say call up all the kids and see what they can do while trading off some vets and non core players for picks & prospects. May as well prepare for next year and hope to get Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin etc. and continue to build through the draft.

Batarnac

Oct 5, 2006
Montreal
I'm a strong believer in the 2 years bridge contract before a player becomes an unrestricted free agent, however, if PK is really asking for 24m over 6 years there is no reason not to sign him, that's a real bargain for what he can bring this year and in the near future. We don't know the details about his attitude off-ice or if he really doesn't get along with the rest of the team but if there is any truth to it, that's something that can be worked on and does not make a good enough argument against the signing. I'm also convinced he received at least one offer sheet and that he really wants to play here.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

LOL, WHAT?!

It's not that easy. It takes two people to sign a contract. I'd rather they take their time and come up with a reasonable contract rather than just throw any money at Subban to "give back to the fans"

Habtchum*

I'm a strong believer in the 2 years bridge contract before a player becomes an unrestricted free agent, however, if PK is really asking for 24m over 6 years there is no reason not to sign him, that's a real bargain for what he can bring this year and in the near future. We don't know the details about his attitude off-ice or if he really doesn't get along with the rest of the team but if there is any truth to it, that's something that can be worked on and does not make a good enough argument against the signing. I'm also convinced he received at least one offer sheet and that he really wants to play here.

I doubt very much that he is asking for so low. He could make way more in a couple of years after a bridge contract.

IF the figure is right, and IF his attitude his questionable, just don't give him a no-trade clause.

Habtchum*

LOL, WHAT?!

It's not that easy. It takes two people to sign a contract. I'd rather they take their time and come up with a reasonable contract rather than just throw any money at Subban to "give back to the fans"

They had 8 months to negotiate. (including during lockout - don't tell me agents are not talking to GM - see what's happening on July 1st every season with UFA's - they signed minutes afetr Noon hour.)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think both sides have dug their heels in and will wait and see what happens in the next 5-10 games in an effot to try to get some leverage over the other side.

I understand MB can't give up the farm for his first major challenge or it'll set a bad example to the other agents who'll think they can just roll ovwer him. This is about more than PK, it's about setting a tone, so I'm not terribly upset.

I don't understand this line of thinking.
How does signing your most promising Dman, who's proven capable of handling top pairing duties, to a longer term means others will just be able to roll over him?
It makes no sense at all.
Not to mention, signing PK to a longer deal, at a cheaper price, is actually better for the team.

I will say, that ater the last lock out, only 1 team who was outside the playoff picture after the 1st month made the playoffs. That tells me that ifwe're on the outside looking in after the first month and still haven't signed PK, I'd make him sit for the rest of the season. No need to sign him if we most likely won't make the playoffs.
You realize that this is just horrible development? Letting a 23yo kid sit on the sidelines for a full year just to prove a point?? Actually, it's not horrible, it's Pejorative Slured.

At that point, I say call up all the kids and see what they can do while trading off some vets and non core players for picks & prospects. May as well prepare for next year and hope to get Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin etc. and continue to build through the draft.

What kids? All the ones that aren't set to become better than PK?
And why do you want to draft Jones or Drouin or any of those guys?? When their ELC will be up, what makes you think they won't be where PK is today?
Also, if this PK-Management thing doesn't end well, it certainly won't help Bergevin's rep.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I could just imagine the chaos that this board would be in if Gauthier would be holding out on PK like this.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I doubt very much that he is asking for so low. He could make way more in a couple of years after a bridge contract.

IF the figure is right, and IF his attitude his questionable, just don't give him a no-trade clause.

Why do you doubt this but not him wanting Doughty money??
Makes no sense for PK to be asking for that much cash, yet you have no problem believing it.
Is it because if PK actually would settle for 6y24M, it wouldn't make him look like the big evil selfish guy people are trying to make him look like?

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
with pk in our lineup the d is in the top 3rd of the conference.how is this issue not resolved?pk is worth more than del zotto but less than doughty.is bergevin really this dumb?

Habtchum*

Why do you doubt this but not him wanting Doughty money??
Makes no sense for PK to be asking for that much cash, yet you have no problem believing it.
Is it because if PK actually would settle for 6y24M, it wouldn't make him look like the big evil selfish guy people are trying to make him look like?

No one really know what he is asking for, and what really Bergevin is offering.

The only thing we know is that PK wants a long term contract and Bergevin wants to give him a shorter one. That's it.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
They had 8 months to negotiate. (including during lockout - don't tell me agents are not talking to GM - see what's happening on July 1st every season with UFA's - they signed minutes afetr Noon hour.)

There was no CBA, didn't know what the cap would be set as, etc. They didn't negotiate during the lockout.

Habtchum*

with pk in our lineup the d is in the top 3rd of the conference.how is this issue not resolved?pk is worth more than del zotto but less than doughty.is bergevin really this dumb?

You are very optimistic.

Habtchum*

There was no CBA, didn't know what the cap would be set as, etc. They didn't negotiate during the lockout.

They kept exactly the same position that they had on Sept 15, 4 months after Bergevin was named as the new GM.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I like the player he's charismatic he can skate and pass has a good shot.But what has he proven nothing has he been a 1st or 2nd team All star is he good in the dressing room or is he a cancer none of us know?He could be a boumester a future star with great skating but never could produce at a elite level?Karslson had 80pts in his rookie year he was an all star is he worth then 8 to 9 million a year?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No one really know what he is asking for, and what really Bergevin is offering.

The only thing we know is that PK wants a long term contract and Bergevin wants to give him a shorter one. That's it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that didn't stop you from believing he wanted Doughty cash.

In any event, try to view this from an outsider's perspective. What would make more sense. Does it make more sense that PK is actually opting to go in a lockout because he isn't getting the moon? OR does it make more sense that Bergevin is holding firm on a small bridge contract at a too low price tag?
I don't think you need to be this super insider to figure out what is more likely.
In the end, we still don't know. However, the most logical thing points towards management holding out (they are trying to instill a financial philosophy, they are close to the cap, and the cap drops by just short of 7M next year).

Bergevin is getting a huge pass now because he's a rookie GM. But this isn't making me too confident in their vision and evaluations.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

What type of hotdogs are we talking here? Tell ya what! If Molson is giving out chili-dogs, with ALL the toppings, for the rest of the year, I say trade Subban for beer money :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad