P.K Subban Thread 4.0 - Still Unsigned Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Bob Mckenzie is on the nhl network saying that the habs are offering Subban 2.75 million

Dustin Leed ‏@D_LEED

Dustin Leed ‏@D_LEED

Between this and Eller, this team is looking like a joke.

SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif

What is this...

skule123

Mar 24, 2008
Two things:
2) If it's true, god help this franchise

I think Bob made reference to this amount before, and it has come up a few other times from other quality media sources, so my general irritation that they'd report something so ridiculous has morphed into being disheartened that it is true.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
This is ridiculous
And why are RDs not talking about Subban at all? Are they afraid to talk about Bergevin, their lovely friend?
Did Bergevin ask them to keep quiet about this situation!?

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
PK getting lowballed (according to Bobby Mac), Eller scratched, and Gomez about to sign with SJ. Good times.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I dont think thats a bad thing.

-On his 2nd NHL contract Carey Price received a 2 years deal. With a 2.75M$ cap hit.
-Once this 2nd contract ended, Bergevin offered him a 6 years deal at 6.5M$.

-On his 2nd NHL contract Max Pacioretty received a 2 years deal. With a 1.625M$ cap hit.
-Once this 2nd contract ended, Bergevin offered him a 6 years deal at 4.5M$.

Pk Subban is no different the our two other young star players. Price and Pacman both had a bridge contract. Without them, the team would suffer. If Subban would accept 2.75M$ for the next two year, we would have better possibilites with the UFAs and to give that extra money to other players. Thats what you call 'taking one for the team'. Pacioretty and Price did it. Subban can do it also.

Even if they end up half-way at, lets say, 3.5M$ for two years. It would be good.

My real life job is to negociate big amout of money. And I much rather have Bergevin holding up a little bit to maximize the money he gives. Then, accepting whatever Meehan's resquest, because he's scared. Thats how you end up with Gomez/Kaberle/Bourque/Gionta/Cammalleri's contracts. And with how this situation is going right now, I see a DG who won't do the same mistakes, we've seen in the past. And thats a good thing.

Yeah, it would be better to have PK on the team. But it would be better to have PK on the team with a 3.5M$ cap hit, then a 6M$ cap hit. So time, is the best venue for Bergevin.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If we really offered PK 2.75, that's a ****ing joke.

I'm not saying he deserves 6 million per on a long term deal or anything like that, but anything below 4 million and I don't blame him for being insulted.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
The way the franchise has been turning lately... i really start to wonder wtf is going on... if Bergy is offering 2.75m for 2 years well screw them if i would be subban i would start offering my services straight up to other teams...he will get almost what he wants.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

-On his 2nd NHL contract Carey Price received a 2 years deal. With a 2.75M$ cap hit.

-On his 2nd NHL contract Max Pacioretty received a 2 years deal. With a 1.625M$ cap hit.

Pk Subban is no different the our two other young star players. Price and Pacman both had a bridge contract. Without them, the team would suffer. If Subban would accept 2.75M$ for the next two year, we would have better possibilites with the UFAs and to give that extra money to other players. Thats what you call 'taking one for the team'. Pacioretty and Price did it. Subban can do it also.

Even if they end up half-way at, lets say, 3.5M$ for two years. It would be good.

My real life job is to negociate big amout of money. And I much rather have Bergevin holding up a little bit to maximize the money he gives. Then, accepting whatever Meehan's resquest, because he's scared. Thats how you end up with Gomez/Kaberle/Bourque/Gionta/Cammalleri's contracts. And with how this situation is going right now, I see a DG who won't do the same mistakes, we've seen in the past. And thats a good thing.

Yeah, it would be better to have PK on the team. But it would be better to have PK on the team with a 3.5M$ cap hit, then a 6M$ cap hit. So time, is the best venue for Bergevin.

Two things...

#1 - There's a disconnect between what the Habs are offering PK Subban (2.75M) and how they use him (#1 dman, 25+ mins a game).

#2 - If he does end up signing this ridiculous deal, they're going to have to REALLY overpay to keep him 2 years from now.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
another problem we have without pk in the lineup is teams are going to focus on markov bigtime.he is goin to get hammered game after game.not good.if he goes down..............

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If Molson felt he had to apologize for hiring Cunneyworth, this schitshow will have him on his knees at centre ice with a samurai sword.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Two things...

#1 - There's a disconnect between what the Habs are offering PK Subban (2.75M) and how they use him (#1 dman, 25+ mins a game).

#2 - If he does end up signing this ridiculous deal, they're going to have to REALLY overpay to keep him 2 years from now.

1- Carey Price was our starter when he accepted his 2.75M$ deal. Subban is our number one d-man. Both were as much important as the other.

2- Subban's next contract will be around 6-7M$ per year if he keeps developping like he is. And thats okay. But right now, hes comming off, his first pro contract. Hes not UFA, hes not a superstar -yet-. He can developp and become one, thats a sure thing. But right now, he should do exactcly what Price did. Take one for the team. Accept the 2 years offer, and later you'll be rewarded. But as of now, kiddo, you're not receiving any money, and you're not improving your stats for your next contract, cause you're sitting home. I understand 2.75M$ is under what Subban is really worth on the market, EVERYBODY know it. But thats the way to go, to have the best possible team. Player that likes their city and their team, often accept to have less, for their team. Subban wants what? 5M$? Bergevin is offering him exactly what Price received which is almost the half. One day, when both parties will be tired to wait, they'll probably resolve it in between at 3.75M$.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
1- Carey Price was our starter when he accepted his 2.75M$ deal. Subban is our number one d-man. Both were as much important as the other.

Subban has proven he can play top pairing defensive minutes right now, Price wasn't a proven #1 goalie when he signed.

elsubz

Nov 3, 2007

2- Subban's next contract will be around 6-7M$ per year if he keeps developping like he is. And thats okay. But right now, hes comming off, his first pro contract. Hes not UFA, hes not a superstar -yet-. He can developp and become one, thats a sure thing. But right now, he should do exactcly what Price did. Take one for the team. Accept the 2 years offer, and later you'll be rewarded. But as of now, kiddo, you're not receiving any money, and you're not improving your stats for your next contract, cause you're sitting home. I understand 2.75M$ is under what Subban is really worth on the market, EVERYBODY know it. But thats the way to go, to have the best possible team. Player that likes their city and their team, often accept to have less, for their team.

Ummm correct me if wrong but didnt we sign Price the same summer Halak was traded? Price had everything to prove to the organisation. Subban does not.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Not sure if the 2.75 figure is true but coming from Bobby Mac you know that chances are that it's more than not. Not sure what the hell Bergevin is doing by lowballing Subban but that's a suicidal move if true , especially since PK can be offer sheeted.

Only reason i can think of for this is if PK is really a problem for his teammates in the lockeroom. Maybe they want to re-evalute his attitude and maturity level before giving him a big money long term contract. I don't know and i"m not saying i'm right but this is only thing that could make a little sense in all of this.

FranksterQc

Nov 17, 2010

Pacioretty was not used in a #1 role or had significant impact before his bridge contract.

Price was not used as a #1 goalie before his bridge contract.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Pierre Gauthier was not that bad....WTF happen to Bergevin???? WAKE UP!!!!
PK DESERVE AT LEAST 4M per year.....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

2- Subban's next contract will be around 6-7M$ per year if he keeps developping like he is. And thats okay. But right now, hes comming off, his first pro contract. Hes not UFA, hes not a superstar -yet-. He can developp and become one, thats a sure thing. But right now, he should do exactcly what Price did. Take one for the team. Accept the 2 years offer, and later you'll be rewarded. But as of now, kiddo, you're not receiving any money, and you're not improving your stats for your next contract, cause you're sitting home. I understand 2.75M$ is under what Subban is really worth on the market, EVERYBODY know it. But thats the way to go, to have the best possible team. Player that likes their city and their team, often accept to have less, for their team. Subban wants what? 5M$? Bergevin is offering him exactly what Price received which is almost the half. One day, when both parties will be tired to wait, they'll probably resolve it in between at 3.75M$.

That's fair...I just personally think the situations with Subban vs Price/Pacioretty are slightly different. PK Subban is alot more established as a core member of this team compared to what Price/Pacioretty were at the time of their 2 year contracts.

The Habs were not using Price as their #1 goalie, he had been beaten out by Halak the year prior. Pacioretty didn't even have a full NHL season under his belt. Meanwhile, the Habs have leaned on Subban like no other skater the last 2 years.

If you're absolutely dead set on getting him signed to a 2 year deal, that's fine, but starting out at 2.75M and even worse, sticking to it, it's no wonder why Subban is holding out. At least if you start out at 3.5M, you're recognizing the important and growth he's shown the last two years.

Again, if what McKenzie is saying is true...and we have no reason to believe it's not. Then I fully understand and even support his holdout. It doesn't appear as though they understand how important he is to this team and the best way to make them realize that, is by his absence.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Usually we give rookies coming off ELC a 2 year contract to prove themselves and then we'll give them the big contract once they've proven themselves.

We gave a 2 year deal to Price right after trading Halak and naming him the starter, he earned his big contract.
We gave MaxPac a 2 year shot at it too, and he earned his big contract.

Does Subban need to prove himself? I don't think he does, since he's been here, he's been playing top pairing minutes and not looking out of place. He's earned his big contract already.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
Two things:

1) If McKenzie says it, it's probably true, or close to the truth

2) If it's true, god help this franchise

Subban is better than:

Alexander Edler who just signed a 6-year, $30-million deal

and

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million

and

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3.1-million

I am aghast.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Pacioretty was not used in a #1 role or had significant impact before his bridge contract.

Price was not used as a #1 goalie before his bridge contract.

-Pacioretty u're right, that's why he got 1.65M$ and not 2.75M$.

-Price was used as a #1 goalie before his bridge contract, for two years. Its not because Halak stole his job during one playoff stunt, that this erased what he'd done before.

We all understand the concept about PK playing lot of minutes last year. But he also needs to understand that he's comming off hes ELC contract.

THATS NEGOCIATION. Bergevin's offering 2.75M$ exactly the same ammount as Carey received. Meehan's probably asking for 5M$. If neither is moving. What do you think is going on? Nothing. One day, one of the party will ask the other if they can solve it in the middle, and they will. Thats HOW you make the best business decision. You DEAL. Subban wont have a problem with the organisation. And the organisation wont have a problem with Subban. Thats how the NHL works.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

-Price was used as a #1 goalie before his bridge contract, for two years. Its not because Halak stole his job during one playoff stunt, that this erased what he'd done before.

We all understand the concept about PK playing lot of minutes last year. But he also needs to understand that he's comming off hes ELC contract.

THATS NEGOCIATION. Bergevin's offering 2.75M$ exactly the same ammount as Carey received. Meehan's probably asking for 5M$. If neither is moving. What do you think is going on? Nothing. One day, one of the party will ask the other if they can solve it in the middle, and they will. Thats HOW you make the best business decision. You DEAL.
Subban wont have a problem with the organisation. And the organisation wont have a problem with Subban. Thats how the NHL works.

That would be all well and good if this was the first week of July. It's not. The season started. We're playing games without our #1 defenseman by choice. If the sides are still this far apart in negotiations in January, this is a little more problematic than your every day run-of-the-mill contract negotiation.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Subban is better than:

Alexander Edler who just signed a 6-year, $30-million deal

and

Alex Pietrangelo at $3.16-million

and

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3.1-million

I am aghast.

as good as Subban is, I'd take Pietro ahead of him any day of the week.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

THATS NEGOCIATION. Bergevin's offering 2.75M$ exactly the same ammount as Carey received. Meehan's probably asking for 5M$. If neither is moving. What do you think is going on? Nothing. One day, one of the party will ask the other if they can solve it in the middle, and they will. Thats HOW you make the best business decision. You DEAL. Subban wont have a problem with the organisation. And the organisation wont have a problem with Subban. Thats how the NHL works.

This I agree with 100%...one side will flinch eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad