Online Series: Ozark (Netflix)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Laura Linney plays the same scene stealing wife role she did on John Adams because she's awesome.

Some of Michael Bluth's choices to continually appease the redneck heroin family are odd. Namely, him handing them several hundred thousand dollars for no reason. There's one point where he has a cartel killer following him around. Why not ask that guy to take care of those idiots?

Yeah I didn't care for that either. He just gave them 800k with no promises for anything in return. I understand they were dangerous. I also fail to see him laundering 8 million through the businesses he had set up.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Just finished it.

I love Bateman. He is quickly rising to the top of my favorite actor list.

Linney got old looking, but she is a great access.

Little far fetched, but I liked it and hope it goes to another season.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Would watch another season. The daughter character was useless and didn't do anything other than add some teeny-bopper crap that just messed up the flow.

Reactions: Neutrinos

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Would watch another season. The daughter character was useless and didn't do anything other than add some teeny-bopper crap that just messed up the flow.

I wouldn't exactly say she was useless. Her character added an element with the Langmores. Both her and Wyatt knew what their dads were doing was ****ed up. Which helped bring the Ruth arc together.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Finished it and will watch S2 when it airs, but I thought it got worse as it went along. Absolutely loved the first 4-5 episodes, but it took a slight downward turn from there for me.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Finished it and will watch S2 when it airs, but I thought it got worse as it went along. Absolutely loved the first 4-5 episodes, but it took a slight downward turn from there for me.

I just finished it, but I had to put it down in episode 5 or 6 for a couple weeks. The last couple/few episodes got stronger though. The whole Snell gang is a little overacted and underwritten if you ask me, but Bateman and Linney really carry the show. Whoever plays Ruth is pretty good too. Overall it was enjoyable- no more no less.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I just finished it, but I had to put it down in episode 5 or 6 for a couple weeks. The last couple/few episodes got stronger though. The whole Snell gang is a little overacted and underwritten if you ask me, but Bateman and Linney really carry the show. Whoever plays Ruth is pretty good too. Overall it was enjoyable- no more no less.

Julia Garner is Ruth. She's an up and coming actress and probably was the best in the show (Esai Morales as Del was my second choice).

The last few episodes were addictive to me, but also not great at the same time. So many far-fetched moments in a show that was doing a pretty great job at authentically portraying money laundering:

[spoil]For example, Roy having zero consequences for seducing and sleeping with an informant, and then shooting up a bar was ridiculous. No agent would have had that little amount of supervision.

Marty giving almost $800,000 to the Snell's to save the preacher Mason and his family didn't make sense. Throughout the show, he showed that he didn't care about the lives of anyone but him and his family. Mason points this out in their last conversation where he calls him the devil. The Snell's murdered his wife but it was Marty who caused this to happen and is the one who puts on a fake smile of sincerity. For all intents and purposes, Marty is a high level member of the cartel.

As someone else pointed out, the relationship between Del's goons and Marty is weird. It's the cartel's money at stake, it's more likely they eliminate his enemies than they are to eliminate Marty.

Del dying at the end was surprising, but a forced way to create drama next season. I can't imagine the cartel would forgive some hillbilly drug dealer for killing one of their most trusted and productive bosses.[/spoil]

It's an addictive and compelling show, but the plot is riddled with holes and forced, unrealistic drama.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Enjoyable show but not sure about best on Netflix. House of Cards and Stranger Things are better. And I have't watched every single show on Netflix.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed. Didn't really like any characters outside of Marty, Del, and Ruth either.

member 51464

I think it is an objectively poorly executed show with all the eye rolling and cringe-worthy aspects.

But I still enjoyed it well enough. Guilty pleasure, I suppose.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Show is okay. Premise is farfetched, but still entertaining. I do take offense to the portrayal of "Ozark" people though - my wife is from that area and, while you do get a little of the hillbilly vibe, it's definitely forced to the extreme in the show. Still works though. I'll probably watch the 2nd season.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I enjoyed the first season. I wouldn't call it the best Netflix original but it was entertaining. Definitely agree parts aren't totally believable, but nothing too extreme to turn me away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad