TV: OZ

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It gets...pretty bad after that, I'm afraid.

I thought one of the show's flaws was that it became too cavalier with character deaths. While I understand the appeal of not knowing if characters are going to survive each episode, early on the consequences of inmate deaths are profoundly serious. In the first episode Dino, the false protagonist, is murdered leading to a chain reaction of events culminating in a full-scale riot. This brings in the Feds, the Governor, an independent investigation (the episode with Charles Dutton guest starring, probably my favourite episode) and the resulting ramifications arguable impact the show til the final episode.

Halfway through the show's run however, inmates die and it's all, "Welp, them's the breaks," and everyone moves on as if nothing ever happened.

During the making of Oz, if you were on the show and late to the set, your character stood a very good chance of being raped or killed in the next episode. Can't remember where I heard that, but it was apparently true.

And yeah, the later seasons of Oz really went for the Guinness Book of Ridiculous Plot Contrivances.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
During the making of Oz, if you were on the show and late to the set, your character stood a very good chance of being raped or killed in the next episode. Can't remember where I heard that, but it was apparently true.

And yeah, the later seasons of Oz really went for the Guinness Book of Ridiculous Plot Contrivances.

I remember reading Chuck Zito had it written into his contract that his character would not be involved in any raping.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Not to mention Beecher's father getting stabbed to death in the prison. A civilian death inside Oz should've had that place locked down for good.

Or that C.O getting his damn eyes cut out of his head. Imagine if such a thing happened in a real prison?

How bad is security at OZ? Two or three times a gun in smuggled in and used in a murder. Plus that Irish dude managing to plant explosives in the cafeteria and blow up half the prison (only for the prison to return the following season exactly how it was). And oh yeah, the face there doesn't seem to be a single surveillance camera in the whole freaking facility. I feel like everyone who worked there did enough to be fired five times over.

I don't know if any television show will ever come up with a plot as hilariously stupid as the accelerated aging pill. How that ever even reached the conceptual stage, I'll never know.

Killing off Adebisi hurt the show badly. While it was probably a natural and logical conclusion to that story thread (Adebisi had to go down somehow in some way) his absence robbed the show of its most menacing and terrifying presence. Especially since his 'replacement' was Old Man Stroke Victim, who wasn't the least bit intimidating. Killing Adebisi probably should have been reserved for the very end.

I know it seems like I'm railing on the show hard, but I did enjoy most of it by and large. And being the first HBO show produced in-house, it paved the way for some serious quality down the line for all premium television. It was a true pioneer.

One thing I did like about the latter seasons was bringing back deceased characters over the course of the show as guest narrators for the final season. Those were excellent. Also, I know it bummed a lot of people out, but I thought Beecher finally ****ing his life up for good was a pretty apt conclusion to his arc. Sort of a commentary on the penitentiary system's failure to rehabilitate and tendency only to make criminals into worse criminals.

I do seem to recall John Lurie in an interview saying that persistent ****ing up your lines meant you had to do a full-frontal nude scene.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I remember reading Chuck Zito had it written into his contract that his character would not be involved in any raping.

Well, he was supposed to be an Italian mob guy anyway so that would've been out of character for them.

Or that C.O getting his damn eyes cut out of his head. Imagine if such a thing happened in a real prison?

How bad is security at OZ? Two or three times a gun in smuggled in and used in a murder. Plus that Irish dude managing to plant explosives in the cafeteria and blow up half the prison (only for the prison to return the following season exactly how it was). And oh yeah, the face there doesn't seem to be a single surveillance camera in the whole freaking facility. I feel like everyone who worked there did enough to be fired five times over.

I don't know if any television show will ever come up with a plot as hilariously stupid as the accelerated aging pill. How that ever even reached the conceptual stage, I'll never know.

Killing off Adebisi hurt the show badly. While it was probably a natural and logical conclusion to that story thread (Adebisi had to go down somehow in some way) his absence robbed the show of its most menacing and terrifying presence. Especially since his 'replacement' was Old Man Stroke Victim, who wasn't the least bit intimidating. Killing Adebisi probably should have been reserved for the very end.

I know it seems like I'm railing on the show hard, but I did enjoy most of it by and large. And being the first HBO show produced in-house, it paved the way for some serious quality down the line for all premium television. It was a true pioneer.

One thing I did like about the latter seasons was bringing back deceased characters over the course of the show as guest narrators for the final season. Those were excellent. Also, I know it bummed a lot of people out, but I thought Beecher finally ****ing his life up for good was a pretty apt conclusion to his arc. Sort of a commentary on the penitentiary system's failure to rehabilitate and tendency only to make criminals into worse criminals.

I do seem to recall John Lurie in an interview saying that persistent ****ing up your lines meant you had to do a full-frontal nude scene.

Oh no, Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary is an absolutely ****-poor prison. People die there...like, all the time. Rapes are commonplace. ODs, riots, gang fights...you name it.

Ryan O'Reilly was always my favourite character. So sleazy. So manipulative. Also Irish. ;)

And I kinda agree about Adebisi, but I liked Redding a lot more than that. I always felt the show didn't do nearly enough with his character.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
(re)Started season 2. It's almost more fun just to see the random actors who I had no recollection being in the show. For this episode, that goes to Bryan Callen.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Just started watching a show that's similar, in ways, to OZ.

Wentworth -- about an Australian women's prison. So far, it's a lot more like OZ than Orange...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not to mention Beecher's father getting stabbed to death in the prison. A civilian death inside Oz should've had that place locked down for good. .

Civilians have died in US prisons before including nurses and administrators

Or that C.O getting his damn eyes cut out of his head. Imagine if such a thing happened in a real prison?.

Worse things have happened at maximum security prisons

The worst and most brutal prison riot in US history for instance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_State_Penitentiary_riot

Inmates tortured , raped , dismembered , private parts cut off , burned with blow torches , etc

Guards beaten , raped , tortured , etc

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was eating lunch at my work's cafeteria today. For some reason I was looking over my shoulder as though I were expecting a brawl to happen.

So yes, I probably need to take a break from watching Oz.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Civilians have died in US prisons before including nurses and administrators

Worse things have happened at maximum security prisons

The worst and most brutal prison riot in US history for instance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_State_Penitentiary_riot

Inmates tortured , raped , dismembered , private parts cut off , burned with blow torches , etc

Guards beaten , raped , tortured , etc
Ugh, the point isn't "this stuff never happens", the point is in the show the repercussions are largely ignored.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Finished up season 4. Only had vague memories of the latter part of season 4 during the original run, namely Supreme Allah and his egg allergy.

Like I mentioned previously, part of the fun is seeing some famous actors who weren't famous at the time. Season 4 finale maybe had the best one yet:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Finished up season 4. Only had vague memories of the latter part of season 4 during the original run, namely Supreme Allah and his egg allergy.

Like I mentioned previously, part of the fun is seeing some famous actors who weren't famous at the time. Season 4 finale maybe had the best one yet:

Holy ****, I totally forgot about that. Chico Guerra got sent to Oz for killing Tyrion Lannister. Wow.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad