TV: OZ

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I saw JK Simmons on an episode of Celebrity Poker and he could not have been a nicer / funnier guy. He was laughing talking about his character in Oz (the Celebrity Poker episode was before he became more of a mainstream star) and how people find him so intimidating when they meet him in real life. He said its funny because it couldn't be farther from the truth that he is a total wimp in real life. He was pretty funny.

Also, a short lived character I liked on the show was the Ukranian Hitman, Yuri Kosygin. That guy was scary as Hell. probably the most intimidating character ever on the show, even more so then Adebisi & Schillinger.

The calm way he went about killing people....yeah I'd say he was definitely one of the more cold-blooded characters on the show.

And while they were most often used for comedic purposes as a duo, Rebadow and Busmalis both had a sinister side as well (escape tunnel cave-in).

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Really liked the show but it seemed to drag on, especially after Adebisi's death. The subplots with the refugees and that anti-aging drug were terrible.

Other than that, it was a damn good show.

Completely agree with this. Whenever I talk about the show I always preface it by saying best four and a half seasons of television I can remember watching. It got pretty ridiculously stupid after Adebisi's death though.

It's been like 8 years since I've watched the show so I may be forgetting characters here, but as for bringing this show back, they unceremoniously killed most of the main cast off in the final season. Sayid, Hill, Schillinger, Keller **** they even killed Glynn off didn't they? Those last two seasons were just so stupid and I don't see a need for them to bring back Beecher and O'Reilly for another round of Oz.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I agree the show got weak the last couple seasons and th aging pill was completely and utterly ridiculous.

One new character they introduced I liked was the biker/Aryan Wolfgang Cutler. I liked how he made James Robson his prag. Just showed that no matter how bad someone thought they were that there was some one always someone bigger and tougher. Robson, a sadistic bad guy and formerly feared figure had the tables turned on him this time around when Cutler made him basically his sex slave.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Don't really get the hate on the series after Adebisi's death. Liked it nonetheless. Of course it wasn't the same. But couldn't complain how they go from there.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I like how it seemed like the only time everyone on the show got along with each other was when Miss Sally was on TV.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Isn't Beecher grooming the guy he's eating with for the same purpose as the a/b?

Damn I need to watch this show again. I believe it was showcase on Friday nights back in the 90's. Right from episode one I was hooked.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I used to watch it on Showcase back in the day as well, so I'd catch random episodes from time to time

About a year ago I watched the entire series in chronological order and actually found that it got a little stale - and at times ridiculous - after the first few seasons

I'm guessing if the show came out now, it would be less well received

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Loved this show. It's still in my personal top 5 for me. General concept, execution & acting was just great.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I don't remember 100% of the details but this show was slated to be cancelled because they were losing the warehouse/building they were using as the prison so they started killing a whole bunch of characters (That would be the season where they killed Wrangler and all).

Midway through the whole thing, they found a new spot but they couldn't walk back all the deaths. This is also why they blew up the jail in the finale when O'Reilly had forgot to shut down the gaz oven, it was to explain the new building in the following season.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
I still remember Tom Fontana talking about how he is the one getting the prison tat in the intro since everyone else refused to do it :laugh:

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Such a fantastic show, paved the way for HBO in terms of producing top notch TV shows

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
All I can say is , Poor Beecher

Seriously wish they wouldn't have had everything go wrong for him

Should have stuck to the happy ending they gave him at one point instead of pulling him back in and destroying him

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Amazing show.

It was wierd watching Tergensen in Wierd Science as a kid and then seeing him in Oz only a few years later.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Was really the first cable drama I ended up watching and it was amazing when I first watched it. Remained my favorite up until I watched the Wire. However I don't think there's any way I could watch it now. The storylines got more than a little far fetched after the first half of season 4. But man there were some great characters in that show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad