TV: OZ

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I'd binge watch the entire show if HBO put out a re-mastered version of it.
Tried to watch it a year ago or so, and the SD quality just put me off.

Always takes some time getting used to it again. But I'd say it totally fits to the series. Re-mastered version would take away a lot, if you ask me.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I loved it for a while, but it just got way too ridiculous.

The aging drug...

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Watched the first few seasons, liked it best when Beecher started standing up for himself. Need to finish it at some point

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gets pretty weak in the last couple season, and at times downright absurd, but the early seasons are great television.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
especially that wolverine kill :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was ridiculous, and was even in season 2 when the show was still serious. By the time the later seasons came around it was essentially a parody of itself.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Was such a great show.

Maybe was the first show I watched that every episode merged to the next and season to the next. Maybe. But it was so great at the time. I always loved Kareem Said - when he denied clemency blew my mind ha.

A cheap version of the show is the Australian Wentworth show - same idea.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
HBO2 did a random marathon of season 1 this weekend. Enjoyed it, definitely could process a little bit more being able to binge it. Plus I suppose I could appreciate certain aspects of the writing/acting more than I did as a teenager ~20 years ago.

Pacing did seem a bit off. Ie, Donald Groves kills a guard and gets executed as a result all within an episode.

It probably had been about 20 years since I saw some of these episodes. And likely due to the lack of DVR, I probably didn't catch all of season 1. I remembered Dino Ortolani's demise, but I didn't have much recollection of Groves. And I knew Rick Fox (bigger deal in 1997) had been on the show, but I didn't recall seeing his character until now.

Looking back at it now, I must have started watching more religiously with season 2 which probably makes sense given that was my clean slate summer between high school and college.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, watching it in standard def took a little getting used to. Now I might be motivated enough to finish the series. The last episode I can recall was the mid-season finale for season 4.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
As mentioned earlier in the thread, watching it in standard def took a little getting used to. Now I might be motivated enough to finish the series. The last episode I can recall was the mid-season finale for season 4.

It gets...pretty bad after that, I'm afraid.

I thought one of the show's flaws was that it became too cavalier with character deaths. While I understand the appeal of not knowing if characters are going to survive each episode, early on the consequences of inmate deaths are profoundly serious. In the first episode Dino, the false protagonist, is murdered leading to a chain reaction of events culminating in a full-scale riot. This brings in the Feds, the Governor, an independent investigation (the episode with Charles Dutton guest starring, probably my favourite episode) and the resulting ramifications arguable impact the show til the final episode.

Halfway through the show's run however, inmates die and it's all, "Welp, them's the breaks," and everyone moves on as if nothing ever happened.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

I thought one of the show's flaws was that it became too cavalier with character deaths. While I understand the appeal of not knowing if characters are going to survive each episode, early on the consequences of inmate deaths are profoundly serious. In the first episode Dino, the false protagonist, is murdered leading to a chain reaction of events culminating in a full-scale riot. This brings in the Feds, the Governor, an independent investigation (the episode with Charles Dutton guest starring, probably my favourite episode) and the resulting ramifications arguable impact the show til the final episode.

Halfway through the show's run however, inmates die and it's all, "Welp, them's the breaks," and everyone moves on as if nothing ever happened.

Not to mention Beecher's father getting stabbed to death in the prison. A civilian death inside Oz should've had that place locked down for good.

Another thing I just couldn't buy was Dr. Nathan basically falling in love with O'Rielly, after she find out that he had her husband killed.

I did still enjoy the show after it became so ridiculous, just not on the same level. It basically became a murder oriented soap opera.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Yup, so I've heard. I think that's what has stopped me from doing it previously. I think I missed half a season and the show felt completely different just from the one episode I caught of season 5.

Also enjoying some of the random appearances. There's one actor with a prominent recurring role in a current HBO show Silicon Valley who popped up as a prison guard in the season 1 finale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad