Speculation: Ownership Saga:Glendale City Council passes Phoenix Coyotes arena deal (Read post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Just wanted to stop by and say congratulations to all of you Coyotes fans. I for one am extremely happy that the Coyotes are staying in Arizona, from what i gather the team has an extremely loyal and dedicated fan base, seeing the team leave would have been an absolute travesty.

Hopefully this is the end of this saga and with good marketing the Coyotes can look forward to a long and successful stay in the region. I'm just delighted that all of you will be able to continue rooting for the team you love. Being the fan of a smaller market team has its drawbacks sometimes, but you guys have some of the best management in the league, i have no doubts that you guys are going to be a competitive team for years to come, especially as the financial constraints are alleviated.

Congratulations once again 'Yotes fans :)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. My current location in Scottsdale makes it a huge pain in the ass, but it should be temporary. If all goes well, I'll be living around the Biltmore area by the end of the year, which would cut my one-way commute from 41 miles (I can't believe how much **** I've gotten here for not wanting to drive 82 miles per game, 15 times per season, but I digress) to 14 miles. Still a half hour drive on surface streets, but much more manageable.
I hope you're able to make it work, you'll love that area. The drive is pretty easy (my Dad lives over there) and yeah you're looking at a 30 minute commute on weekdays. Interestingly enough, surface streets or freeway doesn't make much of a difference in total time. You just can't beat the central location either, especially in a sprawling city like Phoenix. Unless you're one of those people who likes to sit on the couch all the time, living out on the edges of the city can really suck. A buddy of mine has a beautiful house out in Queen Creek but is an hour away from everything and everyone, so as a result it's a chore for him to do most things. As you can expect it really sucks for his social life.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
LeBlanc on 910 right now

Paraphrases: hockey operations side "in a lock box"
We don't plan to burn through the 50m
We didn't get into this to fail
We didn't get into this to relocate the team because, as this team had shown, the league controls that
4 guys in the investment group have properties in Scottsdale, the other 5 are looking into it

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 3h
Former #Coyotes owner Moyes: "I just hope that the numbers come out the way they have them projected."

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 3h
Former #Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes about the prospective new owners: “I’m excited that they got it through and got it done."

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 4h
Former #Coyotes' owner Jerry Moyes attended last night's #Glendale council meeting. He wished the prospective new owners good luck.

wat. Why the change of face, Jerry? Weren't you last seen hurrying out of a court room swearing up and down that hockey will never work in the valley?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
LeBlanc on 910 right now

Paraphrases: hockey operations side "in a lock box"
We don't plan to burn through the 50m
We didn't get into this to fail
We didn't get into this to relocate the team because, as this team had shown, the league controls that
4 guys in the investment group have properties in Scottsdale, the other 5 are looking into it
That is what I like hearing! :yo:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
And Jones gives it another go with derailing the sale of the team. Not too worried about it this time around, though.

Craig Morgan ‏@cmorganfoxaz
MT @gfallar Ken Jones has apparently filed his referendum paperwork in #Glendale to challenge the #Coyotes deal.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
And Jones gives it another go with derailing the sale of the team. Not too worried about it this time around, though.
I give the old gentlemen kudos for doing what he thinks is right but he likely doesn't have much time left on this Earth, why he'd waste it like this is beyond me. Unless I'm missing something, it's futile, he has near %0 chance of obtaining enough signatures.

Anyone ever actually talk to him? I wonder if he's nice but just happens to disagree with this issue or if he's one of those get off my lawn types.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I give the old gentlemen kudos for doing what he thinks is right but he likely doesn't have much time left on this Earth, why he'd waste it like this is beyond me. Unless I'm missing something, it's futile, he has near %0 chance of obtaining enough signatures.

Anyone ever actually talk to him? I wonder if he's nice but just happens to disagree with this issue or if he's one of those get off my lawn types.

He's definitely a rotten get off my lawn type.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How much time does he get? 30 days? RSE said they'd take three weeks to close anyhow, right? Then I'm sure there'll be some city delays of some kind. Old Jonesy might burn a few days of our time, but shouldn't be much else.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

The problem is they lie like crazy. Or rather, COMPLETELY misrepresent the WHOLE truth.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Leblanc was on 1060. Stated he has completed the purchase agreement with the NHL.

great sign.

Also said he loves the logo as is and doesn't plan changing it.
VERY happy about this. I know a lot of you don't particularly like the current logo, but it's definitely not terrible. I personally love it. If they were planning to change it, I would be petrified. Every team who has changed their logo lately has hated the "new age" types of logos they received. I feel we would have a much higher chance of not liking it than liking it. He didn't rule out changing the jerseys, however. I know some of you will hold out hope on that.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
VERY happy about this. I know a lot of you don't particularly like the current logo, but it's definitely not terrible. I personally love it. If they were planning to change it, I would be petrified. Every team who has changed their logo lately has hated the "new age" types of logos they received. I feel we would have a much higher chance of not liking it than liking it. He didn't rule out changing the jerseys, however. I know some of you will hold out hope on that.

The current logo is great, but I'm still a fan of the original Kachina logo. I'd gladly take that logo and jersey over our current setup any day.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The current logo is great, but I'm still a fan of the original Kachina logo. I'd gladly take that logo and jersey over our current setup any day.

I would like to have a complete redo. I hate the red, looks like Detroit. Besides TGO was the mastermind behind our current uniform and I want to forget those days and start new.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006

Complete dick. My friend was one of the members of the group who fought so hard against him last time he did this. Even though they were against each other they offered him water and he was an *******.

I hope he has a heat stroke

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Man, those BoHers refuse to get rid of their hard-on of hate for us - now they want to fly down and give Jones a hand in collecting signatures.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Man, those BoHers refuse to get rid of their hard-on of hate for us - now they want to fly down and give Jones a hand in collecting signatures.

I can't believe they're even pretending to suggest coming down to Arizona.

No one in this world would actually spend hundreds of dollars on a flight and hotel, for the honor of sitting next to a bitter old man for a week, outside of a library in 115+ degree heat, just to try and get people to sign a piece of paper. :laugh:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
The most he ever got was 1,400. It would take $16-$20,000 to hire enough people to gather the required signatures. Even previous Glendale attempts against other measure could only gather an amout in the 4k range with a professional crew. The fact is, not enough people hate this deal to make those goals a reality. Most people either see the deal's value or just dont care either way.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The fact is, not enough people hate this deal to make those goals a reality.

I bet there are enough out there, and if someone really wanted to dick over hockey in Arizona, they'd be throwing money at these groups trying to collect signatures. It's something to keep in mind. It will be easy to tell if the haters step their game up.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I bet there are enough out there, and if someone really wanted to dick over hockey in Arizona, they'd be throwing money at these groups trying to collect signatures. It's something to keep in mind. It will be easy to tell if the haters step their game up.

If people really have nothing better to do with their lives or money, I worry about how Pejorative Slured their offspring will be.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If people really have nothing better to do with their lives or money, I worry about how Pejorative Slured their offspring will be.

If you had deep pockets, and possibly some sort of vested interest in seeing a team in either Qc or Seattle, it makes perfect sense. Doesn't take a handicapped person to see that a referendum could derail this in a major way. Leblanc said as much on Canadian radio. Now, having a bunch of Quebec fans fly down is pretty outlandish. It'd just be a few millionaire trolls who want to rustle some jimmies by funding the anti-subsidy crowd. The Koch brothers of hockey, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad