Speculation: Ownership Saga:Glendale City Council passes Phoenix Coyotes arena deal (Read post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Congratulations Phoenix fans it looks like you will be able to keep your team for real this time.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
If you had deep pockets, and possibly some sort of vested interest in seeing a team in either Qc or Seattle, it makes perfect sense. Doesn't take a handicapped person to see that a referendum could derail this in a major way. Leblanc said as much on Canadian radio. Now, having a bunch of Quebec fans fly down is pretty outlandish. It'd just be a few millionaire trolls who want to rustle some jimmies by funding the anti-subsidy crowd. The Koch brothers of hockey, if you will.

What are the rules for a referendum? What is the process? What are the grounds to file such paperwork? I think I will be looking into this and see if I can get some legal mumbo jumbo on this issue before I weigh in.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Man, those BoHers refuse to get rid of their hard-on of hate for us - now they want to fly down and give Jones a hand in collecting signatures.
Because if there's one thing people in red states love, it's being told what to do by a pasty twentysomething with a French accent.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Man, those BoHers refuse to get rid of their hard-on of hate for us - now they want to fly down and give Jones a hand in collecting signatures.

When the focal point of your life is bashing a city you know nothing about on a hockey forum and that opportunity is suddenly taken away from you, you become very desperate.

I would laugh at them if I didn't kind of feel sorry for them.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
What are the rules for a referendum? What is the process? What are the grounds to file such paperwork? I think I will be looking into this and see if I can get some legal mumbo jumbo on this issue before I weigh in.

Off the top of my head there is a fee to file. You must state what your against in a 100 word statement and you must register your group and disclose its funding. Petition gatherers must be legal Arizona registered voters.

You must gather 10% of signatures from the last general Glendale election 30 days after a resolution passes. Its also why IceArizona cant become official owners until August 5th. 5% of the signatures will be reviewed to ensure they were registered Glendale voters. Jones needs at least 8k signatures in 29 days in 115 degree heat with zero monetary backing.

Last edited:

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Legal Mumbo Jumbo

Ok, so here is what I got. For referendum Jones has 30 days to collect signatures and turn in starting from the day it was passed. According to the Arizona State Legislature (A.S.L) 19-142 (A).

Last time this was done Cobb and Jones was rejected because of this.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8171648/glendale-rejects-petitions-phoenix-coyotes-referendum

Apparently, the last referendum also had a couple of errors on the document. And to remind everyone that this was for the Jamison lease agreement.

You can find the rejection of there referendum here http://www.glendaleaz.com/ Along with other links and documents from the CoG.

Also, if you would like to read more about ASL title 19 here is that link to. http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=19

Happy readings...I got bored reading it.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Off the top of my head there is a fee to file. You must state what your against in a 100 word statement and you must register your group and disclose its funding. Petition gatherers must be legal Arizona registered voters.

You must gather 10% of signatures from the last general Glendale election 30 days after a resolution passes. Its also why IceArizona cant become official owners until August 5th. 5% off the signatures will be reviewed to ensure they were registered Glendale voters. Jones need at least 8k signatures in 29 days in 115 degree heat with zero monetary backing.

Yes, there is always a fee. I don't know if you can file Pro Se and claim indigent on this matter.

Last time he needed just a little over 1,800 signature. I do not know what the turn out was for the last election so I do not know how many he needs. Also, Jones had Cobb as a wing man last time. Those two managed to get around 1,500 signatures. However, take that with a grain of salt because the document was basically null because of errors and it was three days late. So the signatures were never verified.

I do not think he will get it accomplished and I think AZICE (RSE) will sign around first week of August...So possibly a month longer in limbo?

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I do not think he will get it accomplished and I think AZICE (RSE) will sign around first week of August...So possibly a month longer in limbo?

RSE can't close until the referendum threat is over. Nobody wants their money tied up with that nonsense. So, officially, it will be August. But Leblanc has said he will have contact with Maloney and all that good stuff. Nealy has held the fort just fine. I imagine the team staying makes his job easier. We shall see if they bring in new business side brass.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
RSE can't close until the referendum threat is over. Nobody wants their money tied up with that nonsense. So, officially, it will be August. But Leblanc has said he will have contact with Maloney and all that good stuff. Nealy has held the fort just fine. I imagine the team staying makes his job easier. We shall see if they bring in new business side brass.

Like I said, So..another month in limbo? I guess you took the long way to basically just say yes.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
the Cobb/ Jones referendum also failed for several technical reasons:
1) hey never filed 100 word statement before collecting signatures
2) they never amended the name of their referendum committee to include the referendum number.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Anyone who would actually do that needs to take a step back and seriously re-evaluate their life or lack their of. It's hard to imagine a more pathetic use of time and energy.

pacdunes

Jan 24, 2011
Arizona & San Fran
Anyone who would actually do that needs to take a step back and seriously re-evaluate their life or lack their of. It's hard to imagine a more pathetic use of time and energy.
The issue is that these people are pathetic and angry because they've lost control of their own lives. Now here's an opportunity to be in control and get attention, albeit negative.

Counseling is the answer to understand and control their anger issues. Typically they don't have the finances to get help and turn to addiction instead.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sedona red is way cooler than plain old red.

Witness exhibit A

I agree with you, I just think we can do a lot better. Time to think out of the box, so people will know at first glance it's the Coyotes. I think it was rt who had stripes on the shoulders. That's different, it stands out, something like that. Let's have the coolest uniforms in the NHL.

Phoenician

Jul 3, 2013
Phoenix
Go Yotes

I have been following this since the Jamison deal fell through via this board, now that its over I look forwarding to joining you all in cheering the team. As a STH I will be doing my part, cant wait till the first game, hope the new owners speak. I wonder if my locked in price includes parking this year :).

Go Yotes!

Rbenj

May 10, 2007
Surprise AZ
The 30-day window couldn't come in a better time.....the hottest days here in AZ:naughty:

On another note, I truly believe that having this many investor partners within the RSE group can work to an advantage in the sense that these individual partners do have their own circle of corporate "friends", who I truly believe will be eating up those empty suites and buying up corporate sponsorships.

And to add, Leblanc has this energy in him that Jamison didn't.
I don't care if its all for show, but that is what "marketing" is.
Energy is energy....

Hey, has anyone drove by Westgate yet, there's a huge signage coming up.
Looks way bigger than the usual illuminated structure that you on the freeways. I hope it's an "event signage" that the area has been lacking all these years.

Happy 4th ya'll :yo:

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have been following this since the Jamison deal fell through via this board, now that its over I look forwarding to joining you all in cheering the team. As a STH I will be doing my part, cant wait till the first game, hope the new owners speak. I wonder if my locked in price includes parking this year :).

Go Yotes!

Welcome!

Further to your comments, hopefully there is some sort of press conference for the new owners once this referendum period passes.

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
I read yesterday that the most signatures EVER gathered for any referendum in Glendale was 4,000, and Jones needs 8,000 signatures.
This is a non issue and will have no effect on the sale.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Go Yotes!

Welcome to the boards.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Go Yotes!

Welcome to the boards!

I too hope parking will be covered (at least for us long time sth's). I HATE paying to park, particularly on a game by game basis. If they want to charge me, then charge me upfront and for the love of God DON'T let anyone paying cash park in my lot! I have NO PATIENCE for cash paying customers slowing down a line!
:rant:

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I read yesterday that the most signatures EVER gathered for any referendum in Glendale was 4,000, and Jones needs 8,000 signatures.
This is a non issue and will have no effect on the sale.

Jones is once again wasting his time. The majority of folks won't sign and for good reason - THE DEAL IS THE BEST THING FOR GLENDALE.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like the White Uniforms just fine. They look great.

I like the thirds a lot too. They've grown on me. I just wish they'd ditch the prancing puppy for the howling head.

If you leave the whites exactly the same, ditch the red home uniforms completely and replace it with the thirds (matching logo this time) I'd be a happy camper. The. In a few years we can introduce a new third. Something totally different.

I'm not sure the NHL allows wildly different home versus away uniforms, though. Are there any teams that current have starkly different designs in home versus away?

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
I like the White Uniforms just fine. They look great.

I like the thirds a lot too. They've grown on me. I just wish they'd ditch the prancing puppy for the howling head.

If you leave the whites exactly the same, ditch the red home uniforms completely and replace it with the thirds (matching logo this time) I'd be a happy camper. The. In a few years we can introduce a new third. Something totally different.

I'm not sure the NHL allows wildly different home versus away uniforms, though. Are there any teams that current have starkly different designs in home versus away?

Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->