Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I don't think Kaites is involved.

Its so hard to see the whole picture but this is were I am coming from:

Michael Reinsdorf, Jerry's son, had been hired to help manage the Arizona Cardinals' stadium in 2004. (His firm, IFG, got the contract as a joint venture with Global Spectrum, a Philadelphia-based firm that just happens to employ Kaites as a lobbyist.)

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-08-06/news/glendale-the-coyotes-and-the-john-kaites-connection/

SMG, in collaboration with the Arizona Cardinals’ Rojo Event Management and Select Artists Associates. SMG is a Philadelphia-based firm that has managed more than 230 venues, from sports stadiums to civic centers, around the world.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130613glendale-names-arena-bidders.html

Edit:
I think IFG and SMG are related

Global Spectrum and SMG, the nation's two largest facility management firms, are calling in their connections in the battle to operate the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium in Glendale.

Global Spectrum's proposal to the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority is leveraging a strong local connection with partner International Facilities Group, a Chicago-based consultant hired by the authority to assist in designing the Cardinals' stadium. In addition, the city of Glendale, not affiliated with the authority, paid IFG to consult on the new arena for the NHL Coyotes, which opens across the street from the stadium Dec. 26.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jo...y-Up-Their-Industry-Ties-In-Arizona-Bids.aspx

Then you get this quote:

Jerry Weiers was also asked if Kaites has any connection to either of the Beacon bids for arena-management: "None that I am aware of."

https://twitter.com/cmorganfoxaz

Mayor is lying. He is a no and I hope someone calls him out for supporting Kaites's.

Last edited:

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
I'm inclined to think Weiers will be a yes too ultimately. But like with Jamison, I'm sure there's going to be more tweaking and compromising after the deal gets approved to mollify Glendale's legitimate concerns. Which of course opens the door for further complications along the way.

Glendale has legitimate concerns. But let's also remember that RSE is promising 8-11 million in revenue streams from parking, tickets etc based on an average attendance of 12,600 people. This year we averaged nearly 14,000 people (13,923). Last year we had 12,400. Expecting at 12,600 per game is more than generous in terms of expectations. This is especially true when you consider that season ticket sales will increase as a result of finally getting an owner and knowing the team will remain. I think Glendale ultimately recognizes that as well despite trying to get guarantees. Both sides are posturing but I think ultimately this council recognizes they can't let this team walk.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Glendale has legitimate concerns. But let's also remember that RSE is promising 8-11 million in revenue streams from parking, tickets etc based on an average attendance of 12,600 people. This year we averaged nearly 14,000 people (13,923). Last year we had 12,400. Expecting at 12,600 per game is more than generous in terms of expectations. This is especially true when you consider that season ticket sales will increase as a result of finally getting an owner and knowing the team will remain. I think Glendale ultimately recognizes that as well despite trying to get guarantees. Both sides are posturing but I think ultimately this council recognizes they can't let this team walk.

I agree, but we are talking about the COG here.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looking at it, IFG and SMG compete. However, Rojo and Global are companies used at U of P Stadium.

It says 'in collaboration with.' It would make sense to provide a bid that included the use of all of Westgate and the stadium. Rojo can utilize that space, and SMG can potentially get something equal out of the relationship. SAA mainly does halftime shows and whatnot. I don't think the combination of the three raises eyebrows so much as it makes good business sense. The two facilities are not direct competitors for the same events but they share a lot of the same infrastructure and resources.

It's also important to note that Rojo, via the Cardinals, has a vested interest in seeing the area thrive. It would do them no good to underbook or generally let the area fester. The group running US Airways center that also bid has a major conflict of interest and I'd be curious to see how they explain that away in their bid.

That both bids aren't public yet is pretty troubling. I'm guessing the league has made it clear via lawyers that releasing those bids opens up legal challenges to any potential Coyotes lease. If SMG were to bid $6m for 40+ events, there's a pricetag on what it takes to run the arena. It's a legal loophole the size of the Grand Canyon, and the same one that was used to shuttle $50m to the team without challenge. Can't close it, or you risk screwing the hockey team.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I did more googling and edited my original response but when SMG came into the picture, they partnered with IFG. IFG employes Kaites. SMG put a bid in to run the arena. The Mayor claims he doesn't think Kaites is related to any group. Yet Kaites helped the arena get built through his relationship to IFG and...SMG.

Kaites has been the most noted person on the Mayors visitor schedule as of late.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Sounds like there may be four votes in favor of the RSE deal vote, anticipated for July 2nd. The council members that are likely in favor are: Chavira. Knaack, Martinez and Sherwood. Huge is a question mark, but probably a no. Norma and Weires appear to be sold no votes.

I say it appears as Chavira, Knaack and Sherwood have moved to force the July 2nd vote, and Martinez recently came out and said he supports the RSE deal. Of course, anyone of these folks could change their mind by Tuesday.

Look for an agenda for the July 2nd vote to be posted tomorrow before 5. Tomorrow will be an interesting day, full of theatre. Much knashing of teeth, etc.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
Weiers will be a big fat no. However, I am starting to wonder about Chavira. Granted he may have joined the "yes to the vote" gang to get it over with, but if he cant get his buddy a Management deal, why should Weiers get his?

You have a point. Chavira could be a yes. Forcing the issue to a vote helps keep the Coyotes in Glendale. If he was against a deal, he would have avoided doing this. This would continue the delay tactics until the NHL would step in to relocate the team.

Sounds like there may be four votes in favor of the RSE deal vote, anticipated for July 2nd. The council members that are likely in favor are: Chavira. Knaack, Martinez and Sherwood. Huge is a question mark, but probably a no. Norma and Weires appear to be sold no votes.

I say it appears as Chavira, Knaack and Sherwood have moved to force the July 2nd vote, and Martinez recently came out and said he supports the RSE deal. Of course, anyone of these folks could change their mind by Tuesday.

Look for an agenda for the July 2nd vote to be posted tomorrow before 5. Tomorrow will be an interesting day, full of theatre. Much knashing of teeth, etc.

I agree with you. I don't see Knaack, Sherwood and Martinez saying no. They are solid Yes votes. Chavira will probably vote yes since he is one of the three forcing a vote on July 2nd.

I agree, but we are talking about the COG here.

It's going to come down to votes. We need 4 votes. We have 3 votes. The 4th vote will hopefully come from Chavira.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You have a point. Chavira could be a yes. Forcing the issue to a vote helps keep the Coyotes in Glendale. If he was against a deal, he would have avoided doing this. This would continue the delay tactics until the NHL would step in to relocate the team.

:rolleyes:

Or it could just mean that he wants it put to a vote, as intended by the democratic process, rather than swept under a rug.

It's going to come down to votes. We need 4 votes. We have 3 votes. The 4th vote will hopefully come from Chavira.

Martinez switched. You have two votes for.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Martinez switched. You have two votes for.

FWIW, from a few pages back:

I just council member Martinez an email saying he voted for the past deals and this was the best one yet. I also reminded him an empty arena is the worst case scenario. This is the response I got

"I have always supported keeping the Coyotes in Glendale and will do everything I can to see they stay. Thank you for your support."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I was under the impression that Martinez recently came out AGAINST the deal. Wasn't that the change on the Martinez front? He went from YES to NO?

Also, hasn't Chavira typically been a NO guy?

That four could easily be a 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, or 2.0

I'm not sure there is much sense in trying to score this vote. These snakes flip flop like crazy.

rt

May 13, 2004

WIW is a politician telling somebody what they want to hear.

I'm not being negative, here. I think there is a shot. I just don't put any stock into that. They may be piss ant little local cow town politicians, but sometimes those are the worst kind.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
Exactly, Martinez never switched. Just wishful thinking from some. Martinez is a solid yes vote in favor of the Coyotes.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
WIW is a politician telling somebody what they want to hear.

I'm not being negative, here. I think there is a shot. I just don't put any stock into that. They may be piss ant little local cow town politicians, but sometimes those are the worst kind.

I know, hence the FWIW disclaimer. In the end no one really knows how the vote breakdown is going to be - when the chips are on the line, lots of surprises can happen. All we can do is wait it out and see what happens on Tuesday.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Everyone has a limit, and selling city hall seemed to be his. We won't know until the final vote comes. Pretending like there are 4 yes votes is folly, though.

Exactly, Martinez never switched. Just wishful thinking from some

He switched and it was well reported. At least pretend like you are paying attention.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Everyone has a limit, and selling city hall seemed to be his. We won't know until the final vote comes. Pretending like there are 4 yes votes is folly, though.

He switched and it was well reported. At least pretend like you are paying attention.

Dude. You get crankier and crankier as the days go on. Stay out of the sun or something.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
I know, hence the FWIW disclaimer. In the end no one really knows how the vote breakdown is going to be - when the chips are on the line, lots of surprises can happen. All we can do is wait it out and see what happens on Tuesday.

It's common sense. Martinez is not suddenly going to switch after he has been one of the biggest proponents of the team. There is no evidence to suggest he has switched.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
More from Bettman:

Q. If the deal doesn't go through next week, is relocation immediate?

GARY BETTMAN: "Well, the fact of the matter is we haven't ironed out or put into effect a ‘Plan B.’ As Bill just said, we have lots of options. I find it difficult to conceive of why, if the council turns this down, we would want to keep the team in Glendale any longer. So we will then, if they turn it downn, have to deal with the possibilities and the options that will be available to us, and they are numerous."

Q. And they do involve placing the team in another city in time for the '13 '14 season?

GARY BETTMAN: "Oh, yeah, if that was your question, there is enough time."

rt

May 13, 2004
Dude. You get crankier and crankier as the days go on. Stay out of the sun or something.

I expect the council to vote YES. Simply because a NO vote would mean a final resolution. We all know that we won't ever, ever, ever get one of those ever.

My prediction....

Council votes YES - some obstacle comes out of left field to delay the closing - NHL states that as a sign of good faith because they appreciate so much the efforts of the council that they'll extend their deadline so long as the COG pays the budgeted 6.5m to the NHL to run the arena while this thing sorts itself out - COG agrees - the thing never sorts itself out - the league runs the team for another season with only a 6.5m AMF - some new buyer appears out of nowhere around February 2014 - rinse and repeat....

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013

I'm not paying attention to anything you write because it's obvious you continue to contrive information as you go to satisfy your agenda. I prefer to pay attention to facts not user derived contrived statements.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I expect the council to vote YES. Simply because a NO vote would mean a final resolution. We all know that we won't ever, ever, ever get one of those ever.

My prediction....

Council votes YES - some obstacle comes out of left field to delay the closing - NHL states that as a sign of good faith because they appreciate so much the efforts of the council that they'll extend their deadline so long as the COG pays the budgeted 6.5m to the NHL to run the arena while this thing sorts itself out - COG agrees - the thing never sorts itself out - the league runs the team for another season with only a 6.5m AMF - some new buyer appears out of nowhere around February 2014 - rinse and repeat....

Or, to put a Simpsons spin on it:

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

My prediction....

haha sadly that's easily the most plausible scenario to date.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not paying attention to anything you write because it's obvious you continue to contrive information as you go to satisfy your agenda. I prefer to pay attention to facts not user derived contrived statements.

Yeah, um, as someone who isn't as cynical/embittered about the entire ownership saga as some of the longtime HFers around here, this is totally uncalled for - and I'm nearly on the opposite side of the spectrum of XX on just about everything Yotes related lol.

Your zeal is admirable, and you are entitled to your own opinions. But that entitlement does not extend to having your own facts.

rt

May 13, 2004
Don't make me pull this thread over! (Glad I'm going on vacation.)

Here, take this with you. You can just refer back to it periodically rather than having to check this thread while you are trying to enjoy yourself. I can guarantee it's accuracy. 100%..

THE LIST (rt style):

The council will vote YES on Tuesday

Then some unforeseen obstacle will delay closing

Then COG will ask for more time to deal with the obstacle and the NHL will agree (given their appreciation of the council's efforts) for the low, low price of 6.5m AMF that the COG had budgeted and as a result will agree to

The obstacle will prove insurmountable and RSE will walk away sometime in October or November

The NHL will identify a new group interested in local ownership sometime in February or March

We'll be in the same spot next May that we were in this May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad