Speculation: Ownership Saga: Coyote's Renaissance (Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Then there is the issue with Joyce Clark. I heard of rumors going around that she was making some very nasty comments about Canada and Canadians on twitter in order to try and drum up more support for keeping the Coyotes in Arizona. I haven't seen her twitter but if this is true, then it is totally out of line and unprofessional regardless if she or others were provked or not based on where they are from and their nationality for that matter. If true as well, that may have played in role in why the citizens of Glendale wanted to have a big change in govenment that is more Anti-Coyotes and seeing that people vote for many different reasons or no reason at all, it could be there are Canadians who are citizens of Glendale who took offense to her words and decided to make their voice heard.

Well, I don't recall her saying 'horrible things about Canadians.'

I do recall her being called some really vile names by certain people north of the border, and there being enough who were following her Twitter account solely for the purpose of calling her those names that she ended up blocking Canadians from following her at all.

I also remember someone from QC spreading rumors that George Fallar was a "thug" who had physically knocked Ken Jones over in an attempt to steal the petition papers out of his hands.

If you know George, that was quite the rumor to hear.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It does but no matter what kind of deal is in place with the city, it could be that in a few years from now becuase of the circumstances that we could be back in bankruptcy court again with any agreement tossed out in court. I really wish some other alternative could come into play and one that hold the private entitly more accountable in case they screw up.

Sadly it's out of our hands.
I understand what you're saying but yeah, it most definitely matters what kind of deal is in place for the city. It's not like bankruptcy is some magic cure all for any prospective owners, I'm not so sure Moyes was too happy with how it worked out for him. That said, I'm sure CoG will help author a contract that will allow them significant leverage should another owner attempt to wiggle out of obligations via a bankruptcy.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
My hats off to you for being honest about this. :handclap: :yo:

Not surprised all that much with regards to what COG knows with Seattle being in the picture here given the amount of threats they have been given in the past to give what the NHL wants or lose the team.

With regards to the facts you presented, while we don't know specifically everything in detail about a deal between RSE and COG, we do know based on history of what kind of deal any prospective owner is looking for from Glendale that does apply to the talks between Glendale and RSE. What kind of deal? A deal where the owner has all or almost all of the upside and little to none to the city. If it were a deal like Moyes and Ellman made with the COG(where it was the other way around) then Moyes would have been able to sell the team to someone else without assistance from the NHL and we wouldn't even have been in bankruptcy court in the 1st place. The truth is only one person wanted the Coyotes before bankruptcy (Jerry Reinsdorf) with some changes to the lease, the big change was $15 million in concessions from the city. Hell, not even the current owners of the other 3 big teams here in AZ wanted to own the team under the conditions of the past when asked if they wanted to own the team.

Now if others had followed the advice of others to do research before speaking, they would have known this stuff as well.

Sometimes I can't help myself. If I undid any good deeds by others it wasn't intentional. Every time I posted, I got IMs and responses that were way off base. So, I gave them what they wanted, my bad.

I agree with your analysis. I still do not believe that Plan B has even been approached by the NHL. It's almost like they know they'll win so they do very little.

I'm on the fence about Bettman. I don't think he is anti-Canada, I think he is all about making money. He probably sees QC as a better expansion, I see that point. I just don't see QC as being sustainable. Maybe for 6 or 7 years then it's questionable. Let's see them pay NHL prices like the rest of their country says we don't do. It's one thing to sell out a cheap junior hockey tourney. It's another to sell out an arena consistently.

RSE doesn't seem as sketchy to me now I've done my research, it's just interesting how the deal is supposedly setup. I would imagine, or hope, that the NHL knows what is being proposed.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Well, I don't recall her saying 'horrible things about Canadians.'

I do recall her being called some really vile names by certain people north of the border, and there being enough who were following her Twitter account solely for the purpose of calling her those names that she ended up blocking Canadians from following her at all.

I also remember someone from QC spreading rumors that George Fallar was a "thug" who had physically knocked Ken Jones over in an attempt to steal the petition papers out of his hands.

If you know George, that was quite the rumor to hear.

She called them 'Canadian Trolls' which is what they were doing. When she reacted they got all sensitive on her and called her on it. Basically, poked her with sticks until she bit.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I haven't been following the entire saga as close as I would have liked but has there every been a discussion of Glendale simply giving the $220M arena to the new owners (no lease) with an agreement not to relocate for say 30 yrs. Wouldn't this be cheaper? Wondering if anyone heard of anything like this?

Pastor's bid included an option to buy the arena. I don't recall if Gosbee's proposal has a similar option.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
That's the problem, we are talking about COG.

I don't think COG is dumb. It's a difficult proposition for them. They want to maintain the Coyotes but at what cost. They have to look out for their own needs as well. I think Glendale is going to make the decision that they feel is in their best interest. It may not be the decision we as fans want. Nonetheless, I don't buy this crap that Glendale doesn't want the Coyotes and thinks they will get so much more money through hiring a manager who will book hundreds of events...Glendale is not that dumb. They have to play that card to have leverage in negotiating but they want the Coyotes to stay.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think COG is dumb. It's a difficult proposition for them. They want to maintain the Coyotes but at what cost. They have to look out for their own needs as well. I think Glendale is going to make the decision that they feel is in their best interest. It may not be the decision we as fans want. Nonetheless, I don't buy this crap that Glendale doesn't want the Coyotes and thinks they will get so much more money through hiring a manager who will book hundreds of events...Glendale is not that dumb. They have to play that card to have leverage in negotiating but they want the Coyotes to stay.

ANY city that is contemplating BK, is run by a bunch of idiots. I'm not just talking about COG and the Coyotes, it's their whole financial mess.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm surprised she even bothered to attend. :sarcasm:

Paul Giblin @PaulGiblinAriz
#Glendale Councilwoman Norma Alvarez just walked out from the executive session. "I couldn't stand it any more." #Coyotes.

#Glendale's Alvarez, a long-time opponent of spending for pro sports, said #Renaissance was getting preferential treatment. #Coyotes

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@cmorganfoxaz: Sorry, phone typo. Councilmember Martinez said council won't make a decision on bids by June 25. Did not elaborate."

Guess its too much to have a multi-million dollar deal together in a week but sounds like the deal could have the votes.

Edit
Or I am 100% wrong...

"@PaulGiblinAriz: #Glendale's attorney says city staff will continue talks with #Renaissance. This is certain: There wasn't instant love for the proposal."

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Norma Alvarez showed up ?!?!?!?!? :amazed:

It's funny that she had to act like she walked out in disgust. She walked out to ask whatever guy feeds her lines on the telephone to give her some more things to say when she walks back in.

Of all the cast of characters in this ludicrous fiasco, Norma Alvarez is the single most ridiculous. I'm saying over the course of the last four years. In this hurricane of insanity. She stands alone as the most hilarious figure of all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Norma Alvarez showed up ?!?!?!?!? :amazed:

It's funny that she had to act like she walked out in disgust. She walked out to ask whatever guy feeds her lines on the telephone to give her some more things to say when she walks back in.

Of all the cast of characters in this ludicrous fiasco, Norma Alvarez is the single most ridiculous. I'm saying over the course of the last four years. In this hurricane of insanity. She stands alone as the most hilarious figure of all.

How do people like this ever get elected? I feel sorry for the residents of Glendale knowing they have idiots like her on their council.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
How do people like this ever get elected? I feel sorry for the residents of Glendale knowing they have idiots like her on their council.

The people who elect (and re-elect) Alvarez get exactly what they deserve.

If you don't mind having someone who has no clue about anything and who can't even be bothered to show up for meetings as your representation, then what else can be said?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Sherwood's summary of today's session, acc. to Craig Morgan:

Craig Morgan @cmorganfoxaz
“What I thought would happen, happened. When you go through some of the deal points, I thought there would be a hang up or 2 & there were.”

"I think they are easily overcome and I think there will be another meeting this week."

"I’m optimistic because I think that what we need to do is pretty simplistic and it’s easily doable."

"I’m optimistic we'll get it done and hopefully it can be vetted by the public next week."

“We have a place for a vote on (June) 28th or it may drop into the week after. A lot will depend on whenever the next meeting is called.”

When asked why Manny Martinez said no decision would be made by June 25th, Gary Sherwood said: "To come to a public vote by the 25th, we need to vet it in public for a week. That’s just the process, so that means we’d have to come out tomorrow with all of the deal points and they’re just not ready yet.”

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No one should ever use the two words in sequence "easily" and "overcome" regarding this saga.

If they are 'easily overcome' why can't they hammer it out tomorrow so they can vote on it the 25th? :huh:

Not like time is of the essence here...

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
No one should ever use the two words in sequence "easily" and "overcome" regarding this saga.

To be fair, Sherwood's a freshman councilman. Naive and hopeful (enviably so). I'm sure if he had to deal with this cluster**** for 4 years, he'd be just as jaded as everyone else lol. :help:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The people who elect (and re-elect) Alvarez get exactly what they deserve.

If you don't mind having someone who has no clue about anything and who can't even be bothered to show up for meetings as your representation, then what else can be said?

It just boggles my mind how we vote these kind of people into office. But your right, Glendale get what they deserve.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To be fair, Sherwood's a freshman councilman. Naive and hopeful (enviably so). I'm sure if he had to deal with this cluster**** for 4 years, he'd be just as jaded as everyone else lol. :help:

He seems to have more brains than the rest of the council put together. At least he doesn't fall asleep or miss meetings.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If they are 'easily overcome' why can't they hammer it out tomorrow so they can vote on it the 25th? :huh:

Not like time is of the essence here...

It's not there first rodeo on this mess, you would think it would move faster, but we are talking about COG clowns.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Just glancing at the BoH. I can't help but laugh at certain residents of cities that are getting their feelings hurt by other citiy's residents as to who will get the Coyotes. Karma is a biotch. But heaven forbid someone say something against the smaller city, hand slapping abound.

If there is no indication of a decision after this Friday's meeting of the CoG, I will continue to not hold hope that the Yotes are staying. I commend Sherwood on trying to make this work. CM Knaack is also my hero for reasons I will disclose if this deal gets done.

Why is silence interpreted as a bad thing for people? If there is nothing to report, there is nothing to report!

If there is nothing to report, there is nothing to report!

Can I quote you on this? I mean is that statement "On the record"? Seriously though, I totally agree. It's like when my gf asks me "What are you doing?" And I reply "Nothing"... I really mean nothing. It's not code for anything or part of a master plan or plot. No news can be just that, no news.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Just glancing at the BoH. I can't help but laugh at certain residents of cities that are getting their feelings hurt by other citiy's residents as to who will get the Coyotes. Karma is a biotch. But heaven forbid someone say something against the smaller city, hand slapping abound.

If there is no indication of a decision after this Friday's meeting of the CoG, I will continue to not hold hope that the Yotes are staying. I commend Sherwood on trying to make this work. CM Knaack is also my hero for reasons I will disclose if this deal gets done.

Why is silence interpreted as a bad thing for people? If there is nothing to report, there is nothing to report!

We all know the 11th Commandment given to Moses was "thou shalt not say anything remotely negative about anything north of the border of the United States of America.

I mean, we all know that was not the 11th commandment.

I mean, some of us know that was not the 11th commandment.

On the other hand, saying anything negative about Arizona or Coyotes fans is.... okay to many.

Oh well...it is what it is. How dare we, right? We're keeping the only rightful owners of NHL hockey from having more teams in their country...

o-kayyyy.

:sarcasm:

We'll know more in a... fortnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad