Confirmed with Link: Owen Tippett contract extension, 8 years x $6.2M

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can easily see him having 60 point seasons - 45+ at ES and 15+ on the PP.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
So has this board finally come around to the fact Tippett is better than Frost? Or nah?

People ridiculed me for saying Tippett was our 2nd best forward last year. Just checking to see if people are still clinging to the Tippett-sucks opinion.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As others have pointed out, AAV is fine, but 8 years is hard to stomach.

The Flyers and max length contracts for secondary players. Name a more iconic duo.
Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Sanheim... who are the secondary guys who got 8 years?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
7.43% of the cap.

Pretty much the going rate for a 2nd line winger and has been forever.

If he kicks on to ~60 points will be a good deal for next ~5-6 years before likely fall-off at ~32.
If he is what he is right now? It is just "fine".

Probably should have been 6x6.5 or something in ideal world though.
I’m mostly fine with it…wish it was 6 years. If the cap explodes, I feel better about this.
Fair?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not worried about term, he'll be 32 in his last season, given his size and speed, he shouldn't fall off that much, and he may polish other parts of his game (for one thing, expect his defense to improve over time with Torts riding his ass). At worst, he'll probably be a solid bottom six forward when his salary as % of cap is down to 5% or so, or the equivalent of $4M in today's NHL. Plenty of PO teams with 3rd line veteran forwards making that kind of money.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Hagel got 8x6.5. At a lower cap ceiling and thus higher % of cap. Ya'll really are not sure you're happy about 8x6.2?

Good grief.

Reactions: flyersjim73

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So has this board finally come around to the fact Tippett is better than Frost? Or nah?
He's a better goal scorer than Frost. Frost is much better defensively and plays a more important position, while scoring points at close to the same rate as Tippett over the last 120 games.

Max length can mean 7 years for UFAs (like Hayes)
Oh Ok. I forgot about Kev.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm not worried about term, he'll be 32 in his last season, given his size and speed, he shouldn't fall off that much, and he may polish other parts of his game (for one thing, expect his defense to improve over time with Torts riding his ass). At worst, he'll probably be a solid bottom six forward when his salary as % of cap is down to 5% or so, or the equivalent of $4M in today's NHL. Plenty of PO teams with 3rd line veteran forwards making that kind of money.

His salary will never be down to 5%... how is the NHL ever going to expand revenue to point of a 124 million cap.

That would be more of an increase from now as the increase from 2005 until now in dollar amounts.

~6% is best can hope for.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
7.43% of the cap.

Pretty much the going rate for a 2nd line winger and has been forever.

If he kicks on to ~60 points will be a good deal for next ~5-6 years before likely fall-off at ~32.
If he is what he is right now? It is just "fine".

Probably should have been 6x6.5 or something in ideal world though.
Actually 7.1% b/c doesn't start until next season and the cap will rise this summer.
So equivalent of $5.9M this season.
But also have to factor the cap rising in the future, last four years, only rose $5M.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hagel got 8x6.5. At a lower cap ceiling and thus higher % of cap. Ya'll really are not sure you're happy about 8x6.2?

Good grief.

Hagel has arguably 2 seasons better than Tippett's best tbf...

65 pace last year, 71 pace this year.

Annnd with Chicago at age 23 was on pace for 55 points before trade.

Hagel's might be a steal right away. Tippett's is "fair"... and if he becomes a 65 point guy then yeh, will be a very good deal.

Actually 7.1% b/c doesn't start until next season and the cap will rise this summer.
So equivalent of $5.9M this season.
But also have to factor the cap rising in the future, last four years, only rose $5M.

Yeh, but NHL cap has basically never risen as much as projected!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
His salary will never be down to 5%... how is the NHL ever going to expand revenue to point of a 124 million cap.

That would be more of an increase from now as the increase from 2005 until now in dollar amounts.

~6% is best can hope for.
Cap is expected to rise at $4M next year with escrow paid off, that's about 5%, in 4 years, a 4M increase would only be 4% of cap, but mid-way through the deal the cap would be about $100M, so down to 6.2%, four more years, $116M, 5.3% at end of deal.

4-5% increase in the cap per year is not unreasonable, given underlying inflation rate of 2-3% and increase in real income of 2% a year, and a backlog absorbed by paying off the escrow. Sports have a lot of value, and hockey has a strong fan base, even if limited to certain regions of NA.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
If he stays healthy, this is probably a good value.

If he stays healthy and takes another step forward, this is a total steal.

My problem with it is that I think Tippett’s upside is realistically capped around 30-30-60, particularly if we turn into a contending team where his usage ticks down slightly, so I see a lot more potential risk than I do reward.

We lead the league in 7-8 year deals handed out to non-stars.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I’m mostly fine with it…wish it was 6 years. If the cap explodes, I feel better about this.
Fair?

I think so.

If cap gets up at ~90 mil and he is still a 50 point player in this climate it will likely be a solid deal.
If he becomes a 65 point guy in same climate? Awesome.

The last 2 years will probably fall off given skill-set, but yeh... this is basically the 2007 Hartnell deal.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Cap is expected to rise at $4M next year with escrow paid off, that's about 5%, in 4 years, a 4M increase would only be 4% of cap, but mid-way through the deal the cap would be about $100M, so down to 6.2%, four more years, $116M, 5.3% at end of deal.

4-5% increase in the cap per year is not unreasonable, given underlying inflation rate of 2-3% and increase in real income of 2% a year, and a backlog absorbed by paying off the escrow. Sports have a lot of value, and hockey has a strong fan base, even if limited to certain regions of NA.

You should go and work for Gary ahaha.

That is very wishful thinking.

It might not be "unreasonable"... but it is probably ~90th centile of best case scenario for NHL.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Hagel has arguably 2 seasons better than Tippett's best tbf...

65 pace last year, 71 pace this year.

Annnd with Chicago at age 23 was on pace for 55 points before trade.

Hagel's might be a steal right away. Tippett's is "fair"... and if he becomes a 65 point guy then yeh, will be a very good deal.
But he won't score as much as Tipp, and we know scorers cost more.

I actually like the Adrian Kempe comp the best. Very similar age and scoring trajectories at their respective ages. Contracts signed at same age. Etc.

Kempe:
Signing year:
78 games, 54pts 35 goals
Signed at 6.67% of cap for 4 years

Tippett:
Signing year:
Pacing for 82 games- 53 pts, 32 goals
Signed at 7.1% for 8 years, so a higher % to lock in for twice the term.

Kempe was a 40 goal guy the year after signing and is near PPG this year. If Tippett performs similarly then we will all be happy for the next 8 years. They can both fly and have great shots, too.

Reactions: Hexy4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad