Confirmed with Link: Owen Tippett contract extension, 8 years x $6.2M

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Caps going up, money is what it is...i just dont get the desire to have these long ass deals...sure it buys some ufa years, but man...are we really in any spot to make a long term contract like that? We are rebuilding

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not disappointed they re-signed but JFC why 8 years??? This certainly could wind up being a good deal with his age and the cap, etc., but it also may be an albatross at some point like so many others we've had. No issue with the signing in general and the AAV isn't bad IMO, but if he wanted 8 years I'd have put him on the trading block immediately.

Reactions: Amorgus

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
6 years is a lot better than 8. This ain't a franchise player. Ideally it would be more like 5.

It is a franchise player to them. The Flyers are going to win with these kind of guys as their core pieces, and war horses.

The Sanheims, Farabees, Laughtons, and Tippets of the league. Then blame them when they fall short against the best players of other clubs.

:laugh:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Caps going up, money is what it is...i just dont get the desire to have these long ass deals...sure it buys some ufa years, but man...are we really in any spot to make a long term contract like that? We are rebuilding
Isn’t this a deal with rebuilding in mind? If you sign him for three years, then you’re going to have to absorb a higher AAV in years 4+ when you’re supposedly trying to contend.

Reactions: Hexy4 and hn777

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If we're going long-term like this then I'd hope we steal some money. This feels like we didn't save a penny, pure market value.
The longer you go, the more you have to pay in AAV unless it's a bottom 6 guy.

When Tippett is in the final years of this deal the cap will be well over $100m.

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Isn’t this a deal with rebuilding in mind? If you sign him for three years, then you’re going to have to absorb a higher AAV in years 4+ when you’re supposedly trying to contend.

I hope so. I like Tipp...guy has a ton of talent and potential, he was starting to really put it together.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Given the cap situation and the fact that 25 goals is probably Tippett’s floor, there’s a lot more upside than downside here. I’m not saying it can’t be an albatross by 2031 or whatever, but $6.2m against a hypothetical cap of $110m is not terrible even if his game falls off by then. The upside is you have a 35 goal scorer locked up below market in the years where you’re presumably expecting to contend.

The alternative is having to extend him again in three years on a much higher cap with salaries rising quickly. Only scenario where that’s better is if his game really tanks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If he's scoring 30 goals in year 4 and 5 of the team, the number will be fine. The question will be if that's the only thing he can do

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Cap starts going up $4M a year this summer now that the escrow has been paid back.
$6.2M is 7.1% of next year's cap, 6.5% in two years.
So equivalent to about $5M under today's cap.

123g 35-28 63 at ES, prorates to 23-19 42. 2.07 pp/60 over that period. Basically a 2RW scorer.
Mediocre defense, but brings size and speed and a plus shot so there's upside.

Get used to "high" contracts, with the cap rising, players will get 20% or so more than current value on long-term deals, to account for the cap rising in future years.

JVR 8.85% when signed
Hayes 9.20% when signed
Nylander 14.3% next season

Last edited:

pooch

May 30, 2017
I would have preferred 6 yrs but probably needed 8 to keep the AAV down. I like Tippett so I'm mostly fine with this. Wasn't he one of the guys some twitter dude said wanted out? I guess not.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Solid deal if you think he's going to be more than what he is currently and will continue to improve. Would you pay that if you think he can be a consistent 60-70 point 30 goal scorer?
How much room for improvement is there really? He turns 25 in a few weeks and his career high in points for a season is 49, in a year in which he got close to maximum usage. You think he's got 20 more points per year in his game, for 6 or 7 years in a row?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad