Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
The conversation has clearly moved to Friday's OHL draft. Just curious if anybody has a favorite or an opinion on who the Attack take at #7? In reading the mocks and draft chatter around the boards it seems to be forward heavy at the top end of the draft where Owen Sound picks and given our grads at forward this season it makes sense to grad a forward in my opinion. I'm thinking they go with a forward with 3 of the 4 picks on Friday night, using the other on a D. Goaltending is already solidified with George and Koprowski so they can take a goalie on day 2 of the draft.

My personal favorite based on what I've read and player fit with how DeGray likes to draft is Parker Vaughan. Listed at 6'1" and 175lbs. Considers himself a power forward. It would fit with the way they drafted the 2007 class in the early rounds. Also wears the captain "C" on his jersey. Looks like a good fit to me.
Fitzgerald kid from Peterborough stock rose enough in the OHL cup that I don't think he will be around, his Dad played there for a bit in the 90's.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Some interesting pieces on potential OHL draft picks. Some good info in there on players the Attack will likely draft come Friday that may come in handy once they make selections and you want to read up on what kind of player they are.

The OHL Prospects Mock has the Attack taking Cole Zurawski.

The Scout Mock has Parker Vaughan going at #7 where the Attack pick.

The Scout Mock covers pick 1-100(though not team specific) so you can see the types of players that may be around when the Attack pick at #42, #51 and #62.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Any insights from those who attended the draft event?
I never get to intense either way about the on ice performance of the players it all depends on who takes there summer serious we will see that in August. I will say the top 4 picks who all showed up at the Bayshore yesterday have great attiudes and there families all seem like very good people that has me very positive. Side note 3rd rd pick Elliot Arnett's dad Aaron grew up in Durham and played a couple seasons with the Grey's. Our 1st picks father was telling us his wife passed I think 3 yrs ago he said. You always hear players say battling adversity made them stronger I think we can all agree what Pierce went through there is more adversity than anyone should have to deal with so young.

Last edited:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Any insights from those who attended the draft event?
Like a lot of drafts in the league, there were kids some of who we picked that look to be interesting prospects.

As fans we can look at stat sheets and get very enthusiastic about this about the coming prospects into the fold, and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. But let's keep this on the realistic side for the moment, and management makes a good point on this every year at the draft. Stats on a page really only tells half of what these kids can do and what type of player and person they can be at this level.

There's no doubt that the kids we got in the first 2-3 selections are talent young men who should be able to continue forward into this level next season in some fashion. Whether it be a regular shift in this teams depth chart on a consistent basis or eased in slowly weekly and monthly through the season. The truth is until you actually see these kids in training camp and watch what they can do on the ice especially in a game situation like the pre-season you really don't know what you truly have there.

The top picks like every team right now look very interesting from a statistical perspective on where they play this past season, but until you watch them in training camp and exibition games where they're playing at the speed of this league against veterans who have been here for 2-3 or even 4 years you really don't know what you have in the draft.

The top 3-4 picks all look to have different styles to their games in how they play and will see how they are come August training camp when they step on the ice.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I was a little concerned when they grabbed Pierce Mbuyi at #7 and saw 5'10" and 145lbs. Plenty of players have had successful careers at 5'10" but 145lbs is awfully light. The scouting reports on him sound really promising so certainly a very talented kid. Looking back, Rogers was drafted at 5'11" and 144lbs. He came into camp that year at 159lbs. I think if Mbuyi can get to ~160lbs by camp he'll be in a pretty decent spot. It's a little easier at forward than defense to be a little undersized I think. I'm excited to get a look at him in camp.

I think you could very easily see 5 picks from this draft play on A cards next season with Easton Mikus being an 07 birth that they grabbed in the fourth round being one of them. Mikus is listed at 6'1" and 187lbs on Elite Prospects and should be physically mature enough to hit the ground running provided he earns a spot out of camp.

The wild card is Jet Kwajah. He is definitely a lottery ticket but there is a very clear path for him to jump into a pretty meaningful role at 16. The right side of the Attack D core is wide open. Might not be enough to get him to come but pretty obvious selling point is the opportunity. If he comes it would be like having two first round talents out of this draft. I love that they took a swing, and 6th round is a great spot to do it.

Reactions: KFawcett

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
In person Mbuyi looked heavier than 145 lb.
He said part of his summer will be working out and putting on weight .

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
watched the soo game , I wondered if there was a reason to trade D'intino? Kid had a real good year, and his playoffs stats are great. 7GP, 6G 3A +10. I like Hookey but I think the Soo won this one. I obviously don't know the whole story. Late bloomer? Requested a trade?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
watched the soo game , I wondered if there was a reason to trade D'intino? Kid had a real good year, and his playoffs stats are great. 7GP, 6G 3A +10. I like Hookey but I think the Soo won this one. I obviously don't know the whole story. Late bloomer? Requested a trade?
Julian Fantino was the the player who went the other way in the Hookey deal. I think Owen Sound won that one pretty handedly in my opinion.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Julian Fantino was the the player who went the other way in the Hookey deal. I think Owen Sound won that one pretty handedly in my opinion.
My bad, I was sure the broadcaster said D'intino was the trade for hookey last night. Obviously we were both wrong. I agree, stats comparable.
Hookey 64GP 15G 14A 29PTS
Fantino 58GP 12G 10A 22PTs
thanks for the correction

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
My bad, I was sure the broadcaster said D'intino was the trade for hookey last night. Obviously we were both wrong. I agree, stats comparable.
Hookey 64GP 15G 14A 29PTS
Fantino 58GP 12G 10A 22PTs
thanks for the correction
Stats might be reasonably comparable but fit and role/impact definitely favor Hookey in my opinion. For all the talent Fantino possesses, he just never seemed to have the hockey IQ to get the most out of it.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Stats might be reasonably comparable but fit and role/impact definitely favor Hookey in my opinion. For all the talent Fantino possesses, he just never seemed to have the hockey IQ to get the most out of it.
Let alone the rumored off ice issues.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
1000003506.jpg

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Well that's an awfully interesting piece of news. Would have to think Heelis would be pretty high on the list of candidates for the Owen Sound vacancy. Whether that's as an assistant or potentially head coach would be the question I would think. I'm assuming the quality of applicants will ultimately determine how they round out their staff and what roles they ultimately hire for.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Don't they have to deal with the current coaches before looking for a new one? Or will they just quietly slip away?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Don't they have to deal with the current coaches before looking for a new one? Or will they just quietly slip away?
Teakle's contract expired at the end of this past season. Unless they extend him, he won't be back(free to debate whether or not he should be back). The only contract left to be determined is on Rumble(who I believe got a two year deal if I'm not mistaken) and if he's back, in what role? He was hired as an Assistant and only Head Coach on an interim basis, never getting the official Head Coach title. It's seemingly a pretty wide open bench.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
If I'm not mistaken the head coaching job is open right now .
Apparently so is one asst coach, in the least.

Most coaches under contract have a window each summer to explore other options, so there may well be an entire new coaching staff of 3 come August

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Some interesting pieces added in the U18 draft tonight. Gates has a very impressive state line with 34G 48A in just 33 games played, 6'0" and 161lbs with a late birthday. Van Gelder is a right shot D with some size which should put him in the mix for a spot come camp, especially with the extreme left handedness of the blueline as it appears today. Looks like some solid picks to me.

1713401756987.png

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Do you know when the Attack prospects hit the ice for mini-camp? Would you (and others) let me know your thoughts on Durno, a goalie you just drafted? Hope he impresses.
The Attack don't do any on ice activity until camp towards the end of August. Usually rookie camp is the first couple days followed immediately by main camp and physicals etc.

In terms of goaltending, the Attack have Carter George(06) and Matthew Koprowski(07) signed entering into the 2024-2025 season. Guys like Durno will be in tough but with a good camp could put themselves on the radar for the following season. They only drafted Durno and Costa this year as goalies. The Attack typically take four goalies to main camp so pretty good shot to at least get that far.

Goaltending is right up my ally lol. If you have questions fire away.

Reactions: nelli27

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Do you know when the Attack prospects hit the ice for mini-camp? Would you (and others) let me know your thoughts on Durno, a goalie you just drafted? Hope he impresses.
They hold rookie camp end of August .

We've got two boys coming to camp who played in the Knights system .
Will share our thoughts .

Reactions: nelli27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad