Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Debit & Credit should have been implemented long before. Its been in majority of rinks since early 2010's.. "Premium seating" is stretching it, wooden boxes put up around the same seats in one end of the arena. DEHU & Lighting sure. Could argue they could have installed strobe lights for when the lights are off to add a little more..
Maybe I am in a different boat than others here. But to me the Bayshore is losing its charm. there's other arenas in the league just as old that have become much more modernized, and added simple things to improve the fan experience.
Just to add a few additional line items from the 2024 City budget...

1712251092845.png

Reactions: OSMike

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There's plenty of money flowing into the facility. Maybe it's not noticed by the casuals but the building isn't sitting idle. They've spent money and continue to spend money on the ice machinery, over $550,000 alone. The scoreboard is fairly new. The zamboni is brand new, $110,000. All the concessions have been updated for debit/credit transactions and renovations to washrooms/concessions $20,000. New dehumidifiers were installed, $200,000. They added more premium seating and four new suites. New LED lighting in the facility, $115,000. The north parking lot is scheduled to be paved this year.

Keep in mind, the City of Owen Sound's annual operating budget is around ~$30 million and arena upgrades are expensive. Upgrades don't happen overnight but credit where it's due, the Bayshore has and will continue to see investment. It's an older building and has it's limitations but it's not being replaced anytime soon.
Some cities build new rinks and still can't fill the place. Cost a ton of cash to pay for and maintain a huge facility. Big markets benefit from concerts and various other venues during the year small market teams won't see. Money has to come from somewhere. A population of 20 thousand paying taxes doesn't add up to a lot. There are other issues that probably take priority over the arena. Owen Sound downtown seems to be getting a better look with some new stores and restaurants. Plus the Meaford side is thriving with bog box stores and other businesses.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Some cities build new rinks and still can't fill the place. Cost a ton of cash to pay for and maintain a huge facility. Big markets benefit from concerts and various other venues during the year small market teams won't see. Money has to come from somewhere. A population of 20 thousand paying taxes doesn't add up to a lot. There are other issues that probably take priority over the arena. Owen Sound downtown seems to be getting a better look with some new stores and restaurants. Plus the Meaford side is thriving with bog box stores and other businesses.
It's all public record but there are some pretty large housing developments approved through the city or in different stages of approvals that could seriously change the landscape. There's a SkyDev project proposing ~800 apartments on the old RCA plant property north of the arena on East Bayshore Rd. SmartCentres has a ~550 units mixed housing behind Walmart. Flato has the Grey Stone Village project building ~700 living units of mixed housing off 8th St E. Redhawk has a ~330 unit project directly east of the Flato site. There's a 244 unit apartment project on the old factory grounds across from the Marine and Rail Museum on 1st Av W. The Telfer Creek site has ~350 units of mixed housing proposed. There's more than 2,000 living units worth of new projects approved through the City of Owen Sound. We could be on the precipice of a housing boom in the city that could do big things for expanding tax revenues. Having more people with money to spend on recreational activity such as OHL hockey is pretty good for business.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Just to add a few additional line items from the 2024 City budget...

View attachment 845946

I had heard this was coming but didn't know it was in the official budget. The new slab will help with ice issues. I understand the current one ihad to be thicker and that didn't help with the refridgeration. The new boards may well take away the bayshore bounce. And the new glass was required to meet new regulations. I believe it is higher as well.

This city is a gem. I love it here. The Attack are a big part of it and we all need to be on board to support it.

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
It's all public record but there are some pretty large housing developments approved through the city or in different stages of approvals that could seriously change the landscape. There's a SkyDev project proposing ~800 apartments on the old RCA plant property north of the arena on East Bayshore Rd. SmartCentres has a ~550 units mixed housing behind Walmart. Flato has the Grey Stone Village project building ~700 living units of mixed housing off 8th St E. Redhawk has a ~330 unit project directly east of the Flato site. There's a 244 unit apartment project on the old factory grounds across from the Marine and Rail Museum on 1st Av W. The Telfer Creek site has ~350 units of mixed housing proposed. There's more than 2,000 living units worth of new projects approved through the City of Owen Sound. We could be on the precipice of a housing boom in the city that could do big things for expanding tax revenues. Having more people with money to spend on recreational activity such as OHL hockey is pretty good for business.
I'll believe that when we see it. City has been saying that for years and still no shovels in the ground.
It would be nice too see this development, but doubtful

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I had heard this was coming but didn't know it was in the official budget. The new slab will help with ice issues. I understand the current one ihad to be thicker and that didn't help with the refridgeration. The new boards may well take away the bayshore bounce. And the new glass was required to meet new regulations. I believe it is higher as well.

This city is a gem. I love it here. The Attack are a big part of it and we all need to be on board to support it.
I moved to Owen Sound in 2013 from Thunder Bay and have zero regrets. I love it here. Beautiful city and I love hockey so it's been a really great fit.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I'll believe that when we see it. City has been saying that for years and still no shovels in the ground.
It would be nice too see this development, but doubtful
Just my opinion but I think there will be a flurry of activity once the interest rates start to come back down later this year. The Greystone Village project is supposed to start phase 1 of 2 this summer and that's a rather substantial project. Wouldn't shock me to see a couple other sites come on line in the fall. The City has done their part.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
If the series went to a game 5 the issues would have been tabled for one day.

I do not know off the top of my head any arenas in the OHL that are not ran by the city.
North Bay has spent millions to renovate and get theirs up to league standards. Brantford has spent millions. Peterborough. Niagara built a new one to get up to league standards. Flint put money into their arena. Saginaw (albeit to host mem cup).. This is just off the top of my head for teams recently putting money into their arena (10ish years). Maybe ownership should push the city for some upgrades so they can join the rest of the league with modernized arenas. Then again the ownership crew seems to be okay with mediocrity, Facility wise & Team wise!
Are you living in OS ?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Debit & Credit should have been implemented long before. Its been in majority of rinks since early 2010's.. "Premium seating" is stretching it, wooden boxes put up around the same seats in one end of the arena. DEHU & Lighting sure. Could argue they could have installed strobe lights for when the lights are off to add a little more..
Maybe I am in a different boat than others here. But to me the Bayshore is losing its charm. there's other arenas in the league just as old that have become much more modernized, and added simple things to improve the fan experience.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Well that kind of went as expected, sluggish start and then Saginaw came in waves. Management expected it too, no bus waiting outside to follow Sag back for game 5. Just looked like a team that knew its' fate.
Defensive lapses again cost you. Sedley although elite offensively, needed a defensive Dman to partner with, he didn't have that. George after his awesome game Monday got beat on a few that he should have had. He was overplayed this year and it caught up to you. Kid will have a big day in June. Good for him.
I know they are thinkning Jordan as one of their OAs, but I wouldn't be so quick to do so. He is known to block shots, a great quality in a Dman, but he needs to provide more. Unpopular antics with his teammates like yapping all the time, especially when the refs are in between he and another player and skating to the bench "hurt" most every game is frowned upon. In one instance last game, he skated all the way from the far end while Saginaw had the puck holding his nose, as if he were dead, leaving the boys shorthanded for a moment only to be back out next shift.
Your 3 OA's did as much as they could, but again worn out because of the way the coach utilized them had an effect in the playoffs. I can see Goure playing some minor pro and Sedley maybe the same. Burroughs I would say would be a Canadian university guy.
Barlow will ask out next year and they will get a bunch for him. I question that this didn't happen this year, but good luck to him. He will need to improve his game and find a way to contribute when he isn't scoring to play at the next level. He was thrown of his game against Sag in my opinion, by guys getting in his face. Looked frustrated to me.
Smith was a defensive nightmare , although he used his big frame a bit in game 3 and 4. He will need to improve his decision making to play at a higher level. He also will want out, had to be persuaded to come at the deadline. You can get a draft pick or 2 for him to improve the team.
Mccue will be asked to do more, has some skill and will be an NHL pick this June I think. He rubs me a bit the wrong way with the way he stays on the ice too long, slow line changes and perceived lack of effort at times. He will however get you 20-25 goals a year.
Rogers I hope gets stronger this year and will provide some defensive ability to the team. Looks like a well liked kid on the team.
Waddick will be asked to score as well, and used in a 2nd-3rd line role should be able to do so.
Petrovski will be a solid Dman next year and will be asked to do more, I think he is capable.
Crawford will need to get stronger to reurn to the way he played earlier in the year, same goes for Nansi. He is excellent in the O zone, but needs to be way more aware in the Dzone. Big upside for those two.
Guindon will most likely be gone, not sure he will be signed by Montreal though. Steen I think will be a univesity kid next year. I think he did what he could for you guys,
Cormier will be back and will be asked for offensive input and I think he can do it. He needs to be more aware, seems to get hit hard alot. Small guy, shouldn't be getting hit that much.
teresghni although skates fast needs overall strength to his game and I'm not sure he can get there. I hope he can. Hookey I believe will end up in Sarnia (his hometown) they need OA's ans he would be a desireable OA for them. Showed some good hands in tight, but in my mind needs to be more physical.
Stewart, while being used less than I think he should have been, will look to be an OA somewhere else. If this coach is back, we've seen his opinion of him and he won't want to come back for that. I believe he has way more to offer his team. I know his hometown Petes tried last year and the year before to trade for him, but didn't work. I wish the best for him. Maybe if we are lucky, he will end up here.
As far as coaching goes they need to rid themselves of their bench. They did nothing to improve the players this year. I'm not so sure Degray should stay either, but generally the coaches go before the GM
There's my unsolicited breakdown, good luck to the Bayshore faithful in restoring your franchise to respectability. I wish you all the best
The hated Ktown fan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not sure what you mean. Fronts miracle tonight?
Good luck in Kingston. We went to a game in Kingston in the new facilty years back. Nice building. We bought tickets for a game in Kingston in the old barn once and it got cancelled while we were in the hotel room waiting to leave. Saw it on the local news. Guys drilled into those pipes in the floor that freeze the ice. Kingston is a great area to visit. Got to cheer for Roman Schmidt who I wish the Rangers kept.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Attack draft #7, #51 by way of Guelph and #62 by way of London in the opening night of the OHL draft April 12th.

They have pick #21 and #81 in the import draft July 3rd.

Reactions: Millpond

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
LOL, I can't find the post now but did someone say a poster supporting the Kingston Fronts is on this thread offering advice on how an OHL organization should be run? Kingston, Kingston ..... seriously? Well at least I do know the Owen Sound supporters on this thread are smart enough to hit the ignore button. Tough season guys, it's over move on. Weird how sometimes teams that look good on paper just never get it together?

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
LOL, I can't find the post now but did someone say a poster supporting the Kingston Fronts is on this thread offering advice on how an OHL organization should be run? Kingston, Kingston ..... seriously? Well at least I do know the Owen Sound supporters on this thread are smart enough to hit the ignore button. Tough season guys, it's over move on. Weird how sometimes teams that look good on paper just never get it together?
I have lots of problems with Kingston too. Listening to the quotes of your GM, saying a team couldn't recover after 4 games of a 68 game season, come on. Played physical in the playoffs?, where was that? ,Smith had some hits in the game 3 and 4 and Stewart , but where was the physicality. I think it is a Gm on his way out, or at least if it is my team, that is what needs to happen. I didn't see it. In my "breakdown" I think many fans didn't respond because they didn't disagree. When they have disagreed, they have certainly let me know.

Reactions: OSattackfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad