Owen Sound Attack 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Owen Sound has a very good record developing goalies, I would say one of the best in the league for sure. I suspect that either they are confident in what they have going forward, or they have a plan on addressing it if necessary. One way or another, goaltending shouldn't be a weakness if you are fielding a contender.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Owen Sound has a very good record developing goalies, I would say one of the best in the league for sure. I suspect that either they are confident in what they have going forward, or they have a plan on addressing it if necessary. One way or another, goaltending shouldn't be a weakness if you are fielding a contender.

Agreed the Attack have always given tenders a chance to develop.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Agree with this, I think it is the best team as well.

Nick Suzuki was special, but Colby Barlow could be better. Very different players, but Barlow had a higher impact then Suzuki on a similar team. The surrounding pieces are better then that group as well. Goalie is the only question, but McNiven wasn't McNiven until his last year anyways.

Two Ifs with the current group are Lawrence and Fantino. If Lawrence is what we saw in limited action last year, and if Fantino is what we saw in pre-season and post-season, Id be surprised if there is a deeper forward group in the OHL.

Need an older D, perhaps that will be in the import draft?

Perhaps even longer if George is what they think he is....
Obviously a very small sample on Lawrence this year, but I did notice he had an absolute cannon of a shot when he let it fly. He adds a different dimension to the line up with his size and ability to shield pucks. Bit of an unknown going into next year exactly what kind of player he is but I'm excited to see what a healthy Lawrence can do. Fantino finished the year on a high playing his best hockey of the season. He is a player who has a lot of skill and is dangerous when he wants to be. If he comes in to camp prepared to play the way he showed at the end of the year he is definitely capable of some surprises.

I think the goaltending is in a good place. Chenard is an above average OHL goaltender. He has some issues with puck handling and lateral movement but overall is very positionally sound goalie who does a good job of blocking shots. He's also huge which masks some of the lateral issues.

Votary is very athletic and strong moving laterally. He got burned early in the season by being too aggressive in the net and moving himself out of position. He started raining in the aggression later in the year and focused more on his angles/positioning, mixing in his aggressive athleticism on the second or third chance saves. I think he's got great tools to be a good goalie in the league.

George is an unknown but the team seams very high on him. The season ending Attack Rap speculated that they may choose to carry three goalies next year with George being out of Thunder Bay. They could try and find him a team closer to Owen Sound or choose to carry three goalies. He appears bigger in the net than his listed 5'-11" height. Tough to read much out of a highlight pack but he appears to move well in the net and has the athleticism to cover post to post.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Obviously a very small sample on Lawrence this year, but I did notice he had an absolute cannon of a shot when he let it fly. He adds a different dimension to the line up with his size and ability to shield pucks. Bit of an unknown going into next year exactly what kind of player he is but I'm excited to see what a healthy Lawrence can do. Fantino finished the year on a high playing his best hockey of the season. He is a player who has a lot of skill and is dangerous when he wants to be. If he comes in to camp prepared to play the way he showed at the end of the year he is definitely capable of some surprises.

I think the goaltending is in a good place. Chenard is an above average OHL goaltender. He has some issues with puck handling and lateral movement but overall is very positionally sound goalie who does a good job of blocking shots. He's also huge which masks some of the lateral issues.

Votary is very athletic and strong moving laterally. He got burned early in the season by being too aggressive in the net and moving himself out of position. He started raining in the aggression later in the year and focused more on his angles/positioning, mixing in his aggressive athleticism on the second or third chance saves. I think he's got great tools to be a good goalie in the league.

George is an unknown but the team seams very high on him. The season ending Attack Rap speculated that they may choose to carry three goalies next year with George being out of Thunder Bay. They could try and find him a team closer to Owen Sound or choose to carry three goalies. He appears bigger in the net than his listed 5'-11" height. Tough to read much out of a highlight pack but he appears to move well in the net and has the athleticism to cover post to post.
DD said at the draft he would likely move down south and play .
Said he reminds him of McNiven

Screenshot_20220601-090301_Chrome.jpg

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
As someone who has lived in Thunder Bay for a number of years, I can confirm it is a heck of a long way from Owen Sound lol. Would be great to get him close to the Scenic City.
It's about as close as Winnipeg ? 😀

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I see LeSage has committed to Queens Gael's so 1 less overager for next season
I love Logan LeSage but in all honesty the team is to good next year to have him as an OA. In my opinion Nick Chenard is our only OA the other 2 will be brought in. I had thought most of this year we would just ride next year and gain experience for 23-24 but with what I saw from this group we need to make a push next season to.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I love Logan LeSage but in all honesty the team is to good next year to have him as an OA. In my opinion Nick Chenard is our only OA the other 2 will be brought in. I had thought most of this year we would just ride next year and gain experience for 23-24 but with what I saw from this group we need to make a push next season to.
I agree. I think it's likely the team starts the year with only 1 OA in Chenard and could add before the deadline if need be. The contention window for a championship opens this season in my opinion and remains open as long as Barlow is on the team. This is a very high skill and deep forward group. I would think they will have 3 very good scoring lines up front with some nice depth on the fourth line.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I agree. I think it's likely the team starts the year with only 1 OA in Chenard and could add before the deadline if need be. The contention window for a championship opens this season in my opinion and remains open as long as Barlow is on the team. This is a very high skill and deep forward group. I would think they will have 3 very good scoring lines up front with some nice depth on the fourth line.

I would think it would be something like this

Guindon - Petrovsky - Barlow
Import/02 - Goure - Burroughs
Bryant - Lawrence - Fantion
Boniouto - Cormier - Chafe

Import/02 - Sedley
Okitundo - Steen
Jordan - Uens

Chenard
Votary

Those first three lines should be the best in the west id think, if Lawrence and Fantino are what we think they are.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022

Import/02 - Sedley
Okitundo - Steen
Jordan - Uens

Chenard
Votary

Those first three lines should be the best in the west id think, if Lawrence and Fantino are what we think they are.
I think the new import will be a dman(can only have one new with Petro returning)...as well as an OA dman and a OA forward...all to start the season

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I think the new import will be a dman(can only have one new with Petro returning)...as well as an OA dman and a OA forward...all to start the season
I put Import/02 on both D and F because I and see an import D or F drafted, quite aware that they only can carry 2. They probably will also add an 02 D in addition to an Import D, but an 04D would probably have to leave as well if so.

Reactions: DCruickshank

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

Import/02 - Sedley
Okitundo - Steen
Jordan - Uens

Chenard
Votary

Attack Beacher I agree going with what we know. I wonder if a couple of current roster players won't be moved to a team like Hamilton for example. Going by memory they have I believe 9 players that could potentially return as O/As,some of those may move on but there may be a quality O/A to be had. They also could be looking for players with a little experience which we could provide to them.

Reactions: Stellar29

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Attack Beacher I agree going with what we know. I wonder if a couple of current roster players won't be moved to a team like Hamilton for example. Going by memory they have I believe 9 players that could potentially return as O/As,some of those may move on but there may be a quality O/A to be had. They also could be looking for players with a little experience which we could provide to them.
Hamilton is a team that makes quite a bit of sense. A few extra 02s that would play top 6F or top 4D for us, and I would think a player would go back, at least with the D anyways

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Hamilton is a team that makes quite a bit of sense. A few extra 02s that would play top 6F or top 4D for us, and I would think a player would go back, at least with the D anyways
Took a look at the Hamilton roster and that's a good call out by Stevey. They definitely have a surplus of potential OA candidates, beyond the three they can carry next year. I think if Owen Sound is to acquire an OA it needs to be a high end OA player. I don't think there's room for a character/role player OA on next year's roster given the quality of the young talent that needs to play. Hamilton looks to have a few higher end OAs that would fit with the roster in my opinion but acquisition cost is likely a roster player and picks based on recent deals. Would be the year to do it though as they seem pretty set for OA candidates going into 2023/24 season with Goure, Burroughs, Lawrence and Sedley being potential candidates.

If they draft a D in the import draft then they definitely have a surplus on the back end. Rogers, Caldwell, Thacker, and Young looking to crack the roster. Going to be a tough competition for ice time next season with some very intriguing candidates.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hamilton looks to have a few higher end OAs that would fit with the roster in my opinion but acquisition cost is likely a roster player and picks based on recent deals.
I doubt a roster player would be required unless that is Owen Sound's preference.

Reactions: sbpointer

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I doubt a roster player would be required unless that is Owen Sound's preference.
I'm sure you're right, it could be done without a roster player. If I'm arm chair GM-ing for a team like Hamilton that is set to graduate a significant part of the roster I would imagine they would like to get a roster player back though. Owen Sound has done well in the draft recently and may prefer to keep the picks and add a roster player instead to lower the total amount of picks required in addition to the roster player.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Missy's roster listed 9 - 19yr olds this year...perhaps candidates there as well
Two of them are imports and only one or two of the nine could fit the high end category. Hardie and possibly Uberti could make sense if Missy is looking to offload. They appear to be bringing back a fairly competitive roster though so not sure a deal makes sense for them. Hamilton looks to have four high end OA candidates, 3 F and 1 D, so they would need to deal one if all of them come back. Flint looks to be in a similar position if their OA candidates return. Could argue they have 4 higher end OA players. Barrie could have 3 high end F OAs returning next year. Oshawa appears to have some possible OA targets as well, depending on who they may make available. Windsor and Soo could have potential surplus options depending on player graduations to the pro ranks that would be of interest.

Just gleaming OHL rosters there seems to be a number of teams that could be looking to fill OA spots this coming season so prices could be high. One would think if Owen Sound is looking to acquire an OA it would be at forward, someone to play with Goure and Burroughs potentially on the second line if Lawrence starts on the third line. In my opinion, having Lawrence and Bryant on the third line lengthens the line up and gives the coaching staff the most flexibility. If they pick another forward import then maybe they look for an OA D that brings some offence to the back end but there doesn't appear to be many available.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Windsor and Soo could have potential surplus options depending on player graduations to the pro ranks that would be of interest.
These guys are for sure not back:
Dickinson
Thompson
Kerins
O'Rourke

These guys are left:
McMullen
Watson
Tynan

I'd be shocked if Soo had any OA option on the trade market, other than Tynan. Tynan would also be great to keep, but with 2 other younger goalies already in the system, plus drafting another in the second round this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tynan moved.

Watson I'm sure would garner some interest (he was over a point per game in the second half), but the Soo never totally tanks and if we move Watson then we really don't have much left up front so I can't see that happening.

McMullen won't be of much interest to anyone.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
These guys are for sure not back:
Dickinson
Thompson
Kerins
O'Rourke

These guys are left:
McMullen
Watson
Tynan

I'd be shocked if Soo had any OA option on the trade market, other than Tynan. Tynan would also be great to keep, but with 2 other younger goalies already in the system, plus drafting another in the second round this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tynan moved.

Watson I'm sure would garner some interest (he was over a point per game in the second half), but the Soo never totally tanks and if we move Watson then we really don't have much left up front so I can't see that happening.

McMullen won't be of much interest to anyone.
That's about what I figured. The one question mark for me was on Dickinson. If I recall correctly he had a pretty bad leg injury that ended his season. I thought there might be a chance he comes back to regain his strength/form but he's a good player and if his recovery goes well I would expect him to go pro. The Soo always seems to be in the mix in the west every year so it would definitely be surprising for them to sell.

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021
Congratulations to coach Walters on being named one of the three head coaches for the U17 tournament. Great opportunity and the Attack have 4 prospects attending camp.

I see they named the head coach for the U18 Hlinka-Gretzky tournament but I haven't seen any announcements on invites for that camp. Hockey Canada posted the U17 invites last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad