Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ryan Pyette Retweeted
Owen Sound Attack‏Verified account @AttackOHL 2h2 hours ago

Congratulations to Nick Suzuki who accepts the William Hanley Award as the

@OHLHockey’s Most Sportsmanlike Player in 2017-18!
pic.twitter.com/Q4veaRLrrw
DfBZsvrX0AA3M1Y.jpg

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Greetings.

First off, sorry to hear about Josh Barnes. It's a loss for the league and the Attack.

If he said he was coming, he should have honoured that pledge.

Wondering what you folks think of Aiden Dudas' NHL prospects. Smart and skilled, but obviously size works against him.

Crystal-balling his pro future, what do you see for him?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I've noticed on a few of the twitter posts with player photo's embedded within them that we are maybe seeing the direction this team is going when it comes to the OA's.
The featured trio of ; C-Hancock / RD- Durzi / LD-Bourque
If these 3 players return from NHL camps ready to roll as the OA's for the 18-19 season the whole organization will benefit as they are all great young men both on and off the ice!

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I've noticed on a few of the twitter posts with player photo's embedded within them that we are maybe seeing the direction this team is going when it comes to the OA's.
If these 3 players return from NHL camps ready to roll as the OA's for the 18-19 season the whole organization will benefit as they are all great young men both on and off the ice!

Promotional materials that OHL teams use mean very little on a team's direction of OA's it's more just a ad tactic to attract more people to buy gameday tickets.

I seem to recall the year Centorame was captain his face wasn't on any team promotional ad banners on any social media services e.g. Twitter or Facebook.

If you look at most CHL clubs when it comes to captains it really has to do with 3 key areas

1- Age of the player, most CHL teams appoint letters to players who've been in the Jr system for a minimum of 3 seasons

2- Most captains are role players who lead by example on and off the ice and may or may not have the statistics but lead by example in how they deal with public and league situations

3-Most OHL clubs who appoint captains that are similar to their OHL head coaches who played in the league or the sport e.g. if the head was a defensemen then it's not a stretch to see the team appoint a defensemen a captain.

When it comes to Hancock, Durzi and Bourque they all are senior guys this year and are solid candidates for captainies that is assuming they all return as OA's

That would leave AL, Cameron and Ollie as 3 addiional OA's that would have to be rotated in and out of the lineup on a week to week basis.

It would be safe to say that the team won't appoint captains till DD has a good idea who's coming back in the fall and may not appoint letters till right close to opening week of the season

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Would certainly be nice, but the Attack have been burned before waiting on OAs (Kolomatis anyone?).

That's realistically the best group of OA's we can hope to have. Three impact players.

I think Durzi's draft position will say a lot about his chances of turning pro right away. If he goes in say the 3rd round, I think you'd see a team that's eager to sign him and plop him on the farm. The other two (although I am surprised Hancock has had such little draft discussion this year - terrific player) would be kind of shocking to not see return. Especially Bourque, who hasn't exactly lit up junior.

Promotional materials that OHL teams use mean very little on a team's direction of OA's it's more just a ad tactic to attract more people to buy gameday tickets.

I seem to recall the year Centorame was captain his face wasn't on any team promotional ad banners on any social media services e.g. Twitter or Facebook.

If you look at most CHL clubs when it comes to captains it really has to do with 3 key areas

1- Age of the player, most CHL teams appoint letters to players who've been in the Jr system for a minimum of 3 seasons

2- Most captains are role players who lead by example on and off the ice and may or may not have the statistics but lead by example in how they deal with public and league situations

3-Most OHL clubs who appoint captains that are similar to their OHL head coaches who played in the league or the sport e.g. if the head was a defensemen then it's not a stretch to see the team appoint a defensemen a captain.

When it comes to Hancock, Durzi and Bourque they all are senior guys this year and are solid candidates for captainies that is assuming they all return as OA's

That would leave AL, Cameron and Ollie as 3 addiional OA's that would have to be rotated in and out of the lineup on a week to week basis.

It would be safe to say that the team won't appoint captains till DD has a good idea who's coming back in the fall and may not appoint letters till right close to opening week of the season

I can't see any situation where that would happen. Lazer stays if one of the above mentioned three don't return, and Cameron and Lafreniere get moved on or even cut if push comes to shove. Can include Chase Campbell in that group. None of them would return much in a trade either, it would be a finding them a place to play kind of deal. Cameron hasn't progressed beyond a third pairing role here and would likely only play a bigger role on a rebuilding team. Campbell the same in a team's top 9. Lafreniere the proof is in the pudding and the cost to replace him, even with how weak the available goalies are leaguewide the last few years, shouldn't be enough to deter keeping him as an OA backup.

Lazer is the only overager that would potentially be on the outs who would return anything of value in a trade.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Reactions: Bear in the Woods

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Congrat's to Durzi and Dudas!!!
Very exciting time for these two, making us Attack fans proud.
Looking forward to the Import draft this week.
Any idea's as to what direction DD will go?
Hopefully a better result than last year's selection.

Reactions: Bear in the Woods

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

Gotta think he grabs a goalie and maybe a Defencemen.

That way we don't need to bring Olie The goalie back as an O/A.

And if Durzi and Bourque graduate, you likely have a replacement level player that can step in.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017

Nice to see Kevin Hancock (NY Rangers) and Brady Lyle (Ottawa) get invites to respective development camps this week. Good Luck boys!

Reactions: OHL insideout

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Seb; I agree on the Dman Import, especially after reading how "HI" the Leafs are on Durzi. I'm thinking more and more now he will be signed and sent to the AHL/ECHL before being sent back here to play out his OA year.
I wouldn't be surprised if a C/RW was selected to round out a pretty strong top 3 lines.
No way do I think DD picks an Import goalie. I think the management team has high hopes for Guzda to play more than 50% of the games this year. Leading me to think the team will sign a 00/99 steady, co #1 to play along side Guzda.

We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Interview on CFOS today with Fred Wallace and Dale.
He will not pick an import goalie, but will make 2 selections.

They recently changed the import rules, any import signed by an NHL club is now protected on his junior roster, and the junior club may select two import picks. ( up to now it was only 1st Rd NHL picks)

Sushko will remain on the Attacks protected list.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Will certainly create a different look for training camp this fall.

The import draft is more of a gamble than a sure thing. With Sush it really creates a gut feeling for DD if Sush ends up in the Flyers system then it leaves the question is there 2 imports that he knows about that he may be able to get and have report? And if Sush return does he try and move the 3rd import or release the extra import knowingly he could get nothing back.

The other scenario that FW did ask DD was there an import tender he may consider picking or not as the rules have changed and his answer was clearly stated "Not at this time"

With the 45th pick there will be a lot of time for options to be considered this year

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Attack pick RW Manuel Adler, and dman Moritz Seiner, both 17, both played on Germany under 17 programme last year.

Adler is a smallish forward, as Dudas, and had about a point a game .

Seiner is 6'4", 185 lb, and almost a point a game.

I don't think the Attack has ever had a German national on the roster.

Wilkommen to Kanada !

Reactions: AttackSound

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack pick RW Manuel Adler, and dman Moritz Seiner, both 17, both played on Germany under 17 programme last year.

Adler is a smallish forward, as Dudas, and had about a point a game .

Seiner is 6'4", 185 lb, and almost a point a game.

I don't think the Attack has ever had a German national on the roster.

Wilkommen to Kanada !

Attack first double German import selections to be picked in import draft both look to have playmaking abilities by there stats Alberg 17 G 15 A 32 PTS and Seider 4 G 10 A 14 PTS

As DD said with the new import rule it is not if the player is picked in the 1st round of the NHL draft that allows clubs to pick a 2nd import like previous years but any European player who is NHL drafted allows CHL clubs to pick a 2nd import as a plan B in the off chance the NHL drafted player doesn't return to the CHL the following season this will also create a lot of questions for fans an managers alike on player signings this season for European players

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
So by drafting 2 players, does this mean that if they both show up to OS and Sushko is returned from Philly, that these two players are battling it out for 1 spot?
Will the management team sign the better of the 2 players?
Do you think the 1'st selected player was promised more than the second choice?
The Attack may really be in need of Dmen if Durzi is not returned from the Leafs, unless a deal or two are in the works to help solidify the blueline.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Saw this about Seider from Dec., looks like a big Dman and good prospect...
Giving this kid a little bump – has been having an outstanding season so far. Has 5 goals and 18 points in 17 games in the U19 DNL. Also played his first five pro games with Mannheim as a 16-year-old and made Germany's U20 roster for the Div I World Juniors.

Seider is now listed at 6'3'' and 183 pounds, yet he's a really strong skater. Easily the smartest defender in the league; the poise and vision he displays in the offensive zone are incredible. I'm curious to see where he plays next season, but if he makes the right choice, he should have a shot at the first round of the draft.

Reactions: Millpond

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
98 Bourque 6'2", 99 Lyle 6'1", 01 Chibrikov 6'6", 01 Seider 6'3" -- some nice size there on the back end!!
With 98 Durzi 5'11" and 99 Phillips 6'0"... could be quite the Dcore...

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I like the fact that the team made two picks. I'd rather have too many import players to pick from for roster spots than not enough. The former is a much better problem to have, IMO.

Sounds like Alberg will report, so he and Sushko could be the team's two imports (assuming #24 is back). That said, if Seider does report, he could be an intriguing option on the blueline--especially if Durzi is not back as an OA. Seider's ceiling sounds pretty high.

Nothing wrong with having options. Props to DD for the two picks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad