Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OHLFan1995

OHLFan1995 Registered User

This is going to sound weird because essentially I am on the tank train.

But we want Kitchener to win these games.

Kitchener winning these games is short term gain long term pain for them.

Where losing this game for the attack is the opposite.

Kitchener is right on our tail in the conference.

This is a year where even the 6th overall pick gets the 5th best 2003 born prospoect in the draft (Wright will get exceptional status and is going 1st overall, 04 born)

It's painful but let the teams who are near us in the standings win and lets take the better draft position.

That will go farther than a few wins will this year.

BrunoDaBear, OS Fan and Attack Fan like this.
  2. Millpond

Millpond Registered User

It's his dad

Stevey likes this.
  3. Millpond

Millpond Registered User

Totally agree.

I'm not going through all this frustration for nothing .

Let's get the best pick we can .

Attack Fan likes this.
  4. Millpond

Millpond Registered User

There are 7 teams in the conference that have 49 or 50 pts.

It's not a stretch that the Attack could fall from 10th to 15th place overall, by Sunday.

As twisted as this may sound to my fellow Attack fans, that's exactly what I'd like to see happen .

If you're going to tank the season in a rebuilding year, do it right.

Since the trade deadline, the Attack have been outscored more than 2-1.
    There are only a couple teams with less goals, Flint and Erie.

If ever there was a season we need to finish at the bottom it's now.

Attack Fan likes this.
  5. AttackBeacher

AttackBeacher Registered User

As a father of a son who had hockey dreams, I completely understand and empathize with what happens when things go wrong or against the plan, its a hit to the system.

That said, as a passionate Attack fan who has followed the team for some time, i do take a bit of an issue with the attack on the goalie coach. Michael McNiven will tell you that he wouldn't be where he is now without Greg. Jordan Binnington would as well. Goalies such at Michael Zador, Jack Flynn, Scott Stacjar and Brandon Hope all came into Owen Sound at ended better then when they started. There is too much history of success at that position too recently to put it on the coach. Sometimes players just don't get better. We've seen it before with players who come in and for whatever reason doesn't develop as planned. Its unfortunate for all involved, but it happens often. Owen Sound was begging for anyone who could make saves last year, and Daniels just never showed an ability to do so. Its too bad, I think everyone was hoping he'd be able to continue the streak of top OHL goalies in Owen Sound, but it just wasn't meant to be, Guzda out played him by everyones judgement.

Sometimes its hard for parents to separate the fact and accept that their son simply wasn't good enough and place blame elsewhere, I've seen it in rep hockey and above, but the OHL like most leagues, are results driven, Daniels didn't make enough saves. I hope that he has found something else that he can be passionate about and enjoy outside of hockey now that that journey is over, but Daniels is one of the rare few who didn't work out in Owen Sound, and as much as its unfortunate, in the big scheme of things, healthy, family and friends are way more important then this silly hockey game.

Best advise I can give is to let it all go and just enjoy that your son is around and ready for a new challenge in his life, looking back and stewing over the past doesn't help anything or anyone. Best of luck to him, we all hope he thrives with his new opportunities.

I can promise you we all hope he becomes incredibly successful with whatever he chooses to do next.

6. bobber

bobber Registered User

Seb don't you have your season ticket in Kitchener anymore ?

7. HashingMARK

HashingMARK Registered User

If McGill never got the job in Vegas and was still the bench boss in Owen Sound, one could only imagine where the Attack would be right now in the Western Conference standings. Even more interesting would be to speculate which trades would never have occurred because a Championship team was being built at the Bayshore.

8. OHLFan1995

OHLFan1995 Registered User

I had them this season, bought them off Ward. Right now I've got someone using it until I can clear my schedule.

However, with my wifes next move uncertain (A transfer back to OS is still being talked about at work) I likely wont be renewing.

9. INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE Registered User

RD was a decent minor hockey goalie and never a good OHL goalie. That is the grime reality, nothing against the young man. You can debate the whole OHL goalie development issue, it is a systemic problem which I have alluded to many times, but it is all in the past. It is healthier to just let go and move on.
    One thing I know for sure is, having a young going sit on the bench and watch a 19 or 20 year old play 55 - 60 games doesn't teach them how to play in this league and it has stunted the development of a good many goalies.

10. Bear in the Woods

Bear in the Woods Registered User

Good goalies find a way. They don’t place blame.

OS Fan likes this.
  11. Stevey

Stevey Registered User

I know lol

12. StormWatcher

StormWatcher Registered User

What's best for Riley is that you let go of your grudge and help him to see that he is valued as more than just a hockey player. What message does this send to him? Step up and be a dad who puts his own ego aside and encourages him to go on and do great things.

Stevey likes this.
  13. AttackRinkRat

AttackRinkRat Registered User

In light of Bell Let's Talk Day and mental health, we all (coaches, players, fans) need to be supportive of all these young men. The GB Highlanders had a good young goalie, Wes Cameron, who committed suicide. Nobody saw it coming, not even the parents, He always seemed happy, smiling, etc. Playing hockey, especially in goal, you have to be emotionally and mentally able to withstand the highs and lows. Let's give the boy a break and support them, no matter what.

14. BigBuck

BigBuck Registered User

McGill does not play goal.....if they had a goalie that was close to a .900 save percentage the last year and a half things would have been different....

Attack Fan likes this.
  15. LR8

LR8 Registered User

The opportunity was lost
    2018-19, goalies ranked (Starter, backup) 30 and 28 in save percentage. Goals saved adjusted average are -10 and -9, ranking 44 and 41 in the 20 team OHL
    2017-18, goalies ranked (Starter, backup) 41 and 38 in save percentage. Goals saved adjusted average -24 and -12 ranking 55th and 49th in the 20 team OHL last year.
    Those are remarkable stats. Hard to believe the Attack made the playoffs really.

16. OS Fan

OS Fan Registered User

Agreed but regular season pays the Bill's and playoffs put a few pennies in the bank. 1 round would be nice

17. HLLYWD99

HLLYWD99 Registered User

Hishon the Magician is now behind the bench!:clap:

gregreg and HashingMARK like this.
  18. NamesAreHardToChoose

NamesAreHardToChoose Registered User

Durzi got hurt last night on a head first hit from behind against the 67's. Ottawa tied the game minutes later with no call and no suspension.

19. AttackSound

AttackSound Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth

Team had a good outing against the Spits especially in the 3rd chipping away at Windsor's chances.

Game was certainly an even matched tilt both teams had chances to pull ahead of the other at times. Couldn't really say either team had a great game more a lucky bounce here or there and that game could've went the other way.

Good to see the energy in the building and on the bench tonight for the guys.

Everybody pulled their weight tonight and the result was there, step in the right direction for this team moving forward.

20. Millpond

Millpond Registered User

Nice to see this young group rewarded for their efforts.

Great job !

OS Fan, OHL insideout and SebJHockey like this.
  21. Stevey

Stevey Registered User

Great to see them get the W. The whole team contributed and a step in the right direction.

OS Fan, OHL insideout and SebJHockey like this.
  22. NamesAreHardToChoose

NamesAreHardToChoose Registered User

Honest question here, not trying to bring up any wounds or anything.

Are a lot of Attack fans cheering on the Storm because of the dedication and experience Suzuki, Phillips, Durzi and Roberts provided for these past years or is there a little bit of ill will?

Just curious as to where people stand in this whole situation.

23. AttackSound

AttackSound Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth

Depends on who you ask some posters were upset about the moves and some excited about the moves. As I pointed out before junior hockey is a development situation and difficult choices sometimes have to be made for the growth of a team.

All of them a great players in there own abilities there's no doubts about it but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture and project ahead for the growth of your team.

All of them could be done in the O at the end of the season and the team is looking forward to what the next few seasons hold.

Wounds are short term in junior hockey trades, success is long term brackets of short term success game by game shift by shift week by week etc.

Anybody who understands junior hockey understands that rebuilding and moving top players to better their careers and team success is part of the league

24. Stevey

Stevey Registered User

I want all our former players to do well but yes I would love to see those 4 go deep in the playoffs. I even hope Hanner does well in London but can't cheer for the Knights.

OSattackfan likes this.
  25. HashingMARK

HashingMARK Registered User

They already love Hancock in London! You've gotta be happy for his success, even if it means cheering for the much disliked Knights. He's done really well for them to date.

Noofgoof and LeafsFan48 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.