Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
Bryce Caruk is still home with some personal issues. I personally don’t expect him to return this season.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
Not a fan of Gill. I thought he underachieved in Kingston too. But Degray also needs to be accountable, especially for not addressing the goaltending situation last season. That season had possibilities for OS imo.
Montreal promised McNiven would be returned to the Attack and that didnt happen. Everyone in the league knew we were a goalie away from a Memorial Cup appearance and wouldn't give us one. That's what happened there. DD can't be held accountable for something out of his control.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
Shame. I think this kid has been stifled and with the right minutes in the right situations he will pay dividends

From what I’ve heard he’s not getting scratched. He’s just not fully recovered from the flu yet.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Montreal promised McNiven would be returned to the Attack and that didnt happen. Everyone in the league knew we were a goalie away from a Memorial Cup appearance and wouldn't give us one. That's what happened there. DD can't be held accountable for something out of his control.
At the same time, he's the GM and he had a job to do...i.e., get a quality goaltender. He didn't get it done.

I've heard a few different excuses from management now. Montreal lied to us. Nobody would give us a goalie. Too many injuries last season. It would be refreshing to hear management take ownership for the multiple shortcomings over the past couple of years (hiring the wrong coach, goaltending debacle, poor drafting, 2017 import draft, mishandling this year's OA situation) rather than offering up excuses.

Reactions: rangersblues

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
I know the weather is horrible... but was the attendance last night really 492? Just wanted to confirm for an attendance project I am working on.

Edit: Yes it was... closed highways too... Amazed they went on with the game
Kudos for those who were able to make it. Would have liked to been able to make the game

Reactions: Attack Fan and Otto

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I know the weather is horrible... but was the attendance last night really 492? Just wanted to confirm for an attendance project I am working on.

Edit: Yes it was... closed highways too... Amazed they went on with the game

Was in attendance last night and that number was fairly accurate weather conditions were poor to say the least.

Typically the Bayshore even on a Wednesday night game usually caps off 2,800 and change attendance.

The only reason why the game was a go was because the Rangers were already closer to Owen Sound than they were to anywhere else.

Reactions: Attack Fan and Otto

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Hopefully they do something for those who were not able to make it.. I know they are not obliged to, but it would be nice.

The Attack said before the game, any who couldn't make it could exchange for another Wednesday game. All good .

And yes my son and I were two of the 492 in attendance.

By the time the game ended all routes out of town were closed, all plows off the roads in both counties.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
I gotta figure Owen Sound has a heck of a lot more than 492 season ticket holders
Yes, 1800 season ticket holders. I am one of them who didn't make it to the game. Wondering if Rangers made it home or is stuck in OS. Hwys all still closed out of OS.

Reactions: Otto

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Usually attendance is tickets sold so I am surprised they did not list the crowd 1,800 plus even if the fans did not show up.

Last edited:

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Any reports on the new systems? It's tough being a coach when the goalie makes 2 saves for every 3 shots on net......

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Any reports on the new systems? It's tough being a coach when the goalie makes 2 saves for every 3 shots on net......

1 game is hardly a gage for a through review of the coaching change thus far.

From what I have seen I've seen an up tempo pace in the one game against the Rangers on Wednesday since AL has stepped in let these guys have the time to get used to the new emphasis on what the coaches are trying to teach them and they will only build forward from here.

Junior hockey is like a chess game it takes a long time to get to the point of where the right balance of moves makes sense in a game by game situations but when it does work itself out the results will show on the scoreboard.

Reactions: LeafsFan48

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
We'll, it was evident the plan is to play more up tempo.

Many more hits, moving players out of the crease after the whistle, etc.

Defense trying to quickly move pucks out, with limited success.

Overall what we should expect to see after turning over a third of the team, and replacing the coach .

I'm viewing the rest of this season as a wash out.
It'll be used for evaluating returning players, establishing new systems ( and assuming the coaching staff doesn't change in the summer) and re-in forcing them.

It's like September all over for this squad.

While the consensus is this team will win 30 games, based on what I've seen the past 3 weeks , it's more likely to see a 7 or 8 finish in the conference.

Which is fine, the Attack will take that pick and hopefully find a franchise player .

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
I agree with the above comment from Millpond. I would at least like to see some progress being made over the remainder of the season though. The boys are starting to use the body and finishing checks. A good draft pick in April is desperately needed, and one that will report for a change.

Reactions: Millpond

Swamp Rat

Nov 2, 2017
At the same time, he's the GM and he had a job to do...i.e., get a quality goaltender. He didn't get it done.

I've heard a few different excuses from management now. Montreal lied to us. Nobody would give us a goalie. Too many injuries last season. It would be refreshing to hear management take ownership for the multiple shortcomings over the past couple of years (hiring the wrong coach, goaltending debacle, poor drafting, 2017 import draft, mishandling this year's OA situation) rather than offering up excuses.
The goaltending debacle lies directly at the feet of the management. Speaking with an OHL broadcaster very much in the know, he offered the following opinion:

"A team that developed so much talent up front, seems to have missed their cycle when it comes to making a long playoff run. The Attack put themselves in that situation where goaltending has been a weakness over the past couple years. That's on the Attack - not the goalies themselves. They have not brought in the right people (including coaching), properly developed the ones they had, or played a type of on-ice system that allowed those goalies to succeed"

They have an antiquated goalie coach who still teaches from the 70's. RD said he learnt more from McNiven in the short time he spent with him than he ever did with Redquest.
Maybe if DD had show more commitment into the development of RD, the team would have been more successful and RD would now been handing the torch to Gudza instead of out of hockey.

Total waste of talent.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
The goaltending debacle lies directly at the feet of the management. Speaking with an OHL broadcaster very much in the know, he offered the following opinion:

"A team that developed so much talent up front, seems to have missed their cycle when it comes to making a long playoff run. The Attack put themselves in that situation where goaltending has been a weakness over the past couple years. That's on the Attack - not the goalies themselves. They have not brought in the right people (including coaching), properly developed the ones they had, or played a type of on-ice system that allowed those goalies to succeed"

They have an antiquated goalie coach who still teaches from the 70's. RD said he learnt more from McNiven in the short time he spent with him than he ever did with Redquest.
Maybe if DD had show more commitment into the development of RD, the team would have been more successful and RD would now been handing the torch to Gudza instead of out of hockey.

Total waste of talent.
Maybe if RD could have stopped a puck he would still be playing. It's easy peasy to blame everyone else. Character guy's look in the mirror.

Reactions: Bear in the Woods
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->