Owen Power leaning towards returning to Michigan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They were at completely different stages of their development. Wheeler wasn’t going to play in the NHL out of HS or the USHL. Power already has a season in the USHL and College. He would have to wait much longer to get to start his professional career in comparison. By the time Wheeler was at the stage that Power is at now, he had to wait one season. Power will have to play three more college seasons before he is a FA.
It's all about leverage though, my point being if Power decides he does not want to play for Buffalo he has options at his disposal

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Off the top of my head, he could get drafted, refuse to sign for two seasons, and re-enter the 2023 draft. He could refuse to sign again and become a UFA in the 2024 or 2025 off season (don’t know which off the top of my head).
A Player drafted out of NCAA in their 1st year eligible for draft, Power is a late 2002 so this is his 1st year eligible, the team holds his rights for 4 years basically when his class graduates,
August 1st of 2024 he will become an UFA.

Will Butcher is an example and Jimmy Vesey

He does not re-enter draft

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think he's just weighing his options personally. He can go first overall, play another year in Michigan and see if the situation improves in Buffalo. Maybe a year from now he will want to sign, or he may decide to stay another year at school, the point is he knows he doesn't necessarily have to make a decision right now.

Reactions: Fatass

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's all about leverage though, my point being if Power decides he does not want to play for Buffalo he has options at his disposal

Sure he has options, playing out his college career isn’t a very likely one though. Blake Wheeler isn’t an equal comparison.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
The difference is Buffalo is currently a nightmare organization with debatably the worst ownership in the League that has a history of ruining promising prospects. Not just a team that had a rough season.
“Ruining”

Eichel has lived up to draft hype as a player
Reinhart has had several years of top line production and is slated to earn a fat contract
Dahlin set rookie teenage defensive records and will be paid too

If you want to claim team success has been poor, sure. But the Sabres haven’t ruined any top picks. The first overall pick goes to a bad team 99% of the time. They either build the team into a winner or they leave after 5-8 years

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
“Ruining”

Eichel has lived up to draft hype as a player
Reinhart has had several years of top line production and is slated to earn a fat contract
Dahlin set rookie teenage defensive records and will be paid too

If you want to claim team success has been poor, sure. But the Sabres haven’t ruined any top picks. The first overall pick goes to a bad team 99% of the time. They either build the team into a winner or they leave after 5-8 years
You think players like losing 18 straight games? There is a reason Eichel is demanding a trade out.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
You think players like losing 18 straight games? There is a reason Eichel is demanding a trade out.
That’s not what you said. You said they ruin top prospects. All of their top 2 picks have had individual success. Team success and individual success are two different things. Let’s ignore that the Sabres were .500 with a legit goalie (Ullmark) but had to use SIX goalies this season due to injuries. The Sabres will have no problem bringing their top pick in whenever they feel they are ready

Reactions: Sniper99

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
All the people in this thread saying "he isn't even thinking about refusing Buffalo" like as if they wouldn't think about refusing Buffalo if they were in his shoes.

Reactions: covfefe

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Jack Johnson also went back to Michigan and Carolina ended up trading him to LA
Thank you, another example. People are being ridiculous to say that Power is "forced" to play for Buffalo. If he doesn't want to play there, he doesn't have to. He is a human being, not cattle.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If Buffalo is a tire fire next year, the league may need to step in and offer advice to the terrible ownership.

The league's advice is a huge factor in causing Buffalo to be in the mess it is. Both Tim Murray and Jason Botterill came recommended by the NHL, and they were both colossal morons.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Thank you, another example. People are being ridiculous to say that Power is "forced" to play for Buffalo. If he doesn't want to play there, he doesn't have to. He is a human being, not cattle.

Then Buffalo should be smart and forfeit their draft picks so nobody has to play for that shitty franchise. Or the NHL should fold them.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

And it would be dumb to throw away millions of dollars just to be that picky.

Reactions: Sniper99

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
If he waited out four years rather than play for Buffalo, he'd be signing an entry-level contract in 2025, yes? Rather than being on year 2 of a (potentially) large RFA deal. That seems... unwise.

I feel like we did this same dance with Eichel.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

That has nothing to do with why Eichel is demanding out. He wants to have a disc replacement that the sabres won't sign off on.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If he waited out four years rather than play for Buffalo, he'd be signing an entry-level contract in 2025, yes? Rather than being on year 2 of a (potentially) large RFA deal. That seems... unwise.

I feel like we did this same dance with Eichel.

That's exactly what i mean. He loses out a few years of million 6-7+ millions of dollars once he hits RFA/UFA stage.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
IMO Power comes out and pláys for Buffalo in year one. The he is out of his elc in the same year he would have been a UFA if he stayed all four years in college. He is three years ahead and earning second contract money, which could be worth 10’s if millions to him. Financially he comes out right away.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Indeed. Lots of assumption that he’s leaning towards playing one more season at Michigan to avoid having to play for the Sabres. Maybe he just thinks it’s better for his development and isn’t actually trying to avoid the Sabres? That seems much more likely to me.

Of course, it’s not like I know the kid. I could be completely wrong.
Sabres seem like a team looking for help now, so their top pick not even being an option next year maybe sway them in another direction with how the rankings are; this isn't a draft where there is just one guy that is guaranteed to go #1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad