Owen Power leaning towards returning to Michigan

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't buy it... when he sees the contract in front of him and how much money he will make, he will sign that contract so damn fast.

If Sabres wanna sign him asap, he will sign. Only way he goes back is if Buffalo prefers him to go back and they don't offer him a contract
There is always the rare EJ situation.

Maybe he is trying to convince Buffalo to not draft him so he can go to Seattle?
I doubt he minds going to Buffalo, its a 2-hour drive for family and friends to see him once the border opens up again. Granted he's lived further away than Buffalo the past 3 years.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Wouldn’t be the worst idea but that’s a lot of money to risk. If he gets hurt that’s out there window potentially.

Thing is, how hurt could you even get where someone isn’t still going to be willing to take a chance and give him a max ELC? If you’re supposed to be a 1st overall pick, there’s lots of teams who would throw away a couple million at the chance you recover.

Maybe he is trying to convince Buffalo to not draft him so he can go to Seattle?

Gotta be

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There is always the rare EJ situation.

I doubt he minds going to Buffalo, its a 2-hour drive for family and friends to see him once the border opens up again. Granted he's lived further away than Buffalo the past 3 years.
Even if it's not far from home, he may not want to play for a bad organization. Bad management, bad ownership, bad culture, etc. Look at how Edmonton has ruined McDavid's early career and that's a generational talent.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even if it's not far from home, he may not want to play for a bad organization. Bad management, bad ownership, bad culture, etc. Look at how Edmonton has ruined McDavid's early career and that's a generational talent.
Hockey players don't rock the boat. The last refusal to be drafted somewhere was Lindros, who is arguably the most hyped prospect in recent history. Berard only refused to sign with Ottawa after he felt they short-changed his chances of making the team out of camp. Most top kids have big egos and believe they can change these things.

Reactions: Voight

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thing is, how hurt could you even get where someone isn’t still going to be willing to take a chance and give him a max ELC? If you’re supposed to be a 1st overall pick, there’s lots of teams who would throw away a couple million at the chance you recover.

Gotta be

It’s hockey. It’s a physical violent game. You’re always 1 shift away from never being able to play again. That’s the reality. The chances of that happening? Probably not high but it’s still a possibility. Not easy to pass up being the #1 pick and millions of dollars. Especially since he might not be the #1 pick next year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hockey players don't rock the boat. The last refusal to be drafted somewhere was Lindros, who is arguably the most hyped prospect in recent history. Berard only refused to sign with Ottawa after he felt they short-changed his chances of making the team out of camp. Most top kids have big egos and believe they can change these things.
He could use the leverage of Justin Schultz and other college players and threaten to not sign and become a free agent. It's not unheard of. I'm not saying he will, but it sounds like he is at least weighing his options.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Unless he’s planning to put his NHL career and earnings on hold for 3 years this means nothing haha

Indeed. Lots of assumption that he’s leaning towards playing one more season at Michigan to avoid having to play for the Sabres. Maybe he just thinks it’s better for his development and isn’t actually trying to avoid the Sabres? That seems much more likely to me.

Of course, it’s not like I know the kid. I could be completely wrong.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
In the NFL, potential draftees have the option to go back to college and not be taken in the draft until the following year.

Is that possible in the NHL?

In the NFL draft, players who haven’t used up all their college eligibility have to request NFL approval to enter the draft, and doing so forfeits any remaining eligibility.

In the NHL, getting drafted doesn’t automatically forfeit any remaining college eligibility. You only lose it if you sign any kind of contract.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is it possible that the Sabres have to pick Clarke to avoid one of the UM guys pulling a Blake Wheeler?
Wheeler was a very raw prospect and viewed as a reach. I can't see any top prospect waiting 3 years to start their ELC. It pushes back their earning ability significantly. It's not the 3 years of ELC payments, it's the waiting until 24 to reach UFA and 27 to reach UFA.

Reactions: Leaves34

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It’s hockey. It’s a physical violent game. You’re always 1 shift away from never being able to play again. That’s the reality. The chances of that happening? Probably not high but it’s still a possibility. Not easy to pass up being the #1 pick and millions of dollars. Especially since he might not be the #1 pick next year.

As is the case with top prospects in NCAA football/basketball/baseball, most of these guys have LOV (loss of value) coverage north of $1mn, and often into the $10+mn range.

Doesn't compare to the money he'd make playing 15+ years in the show, but it's still millions.

His hedge is that going to Buffalo will tank his value. Can't say I blame him if that's the case, but I also don't necessarily buy it..

Reactions: Voight and SI90

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
In the NFL draft, players who haven’t used up all their college eligibility have to request NFL approval to enter the draft, and doing so forfeits any remaining eligibility.

In the NHL, getting drafted doesn’t automatically forfeit any remaining college eligibility. You only lose it if you sign any kind of contract.

So the kid could refuse to sign with Buffalo this year and re-enter next year?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Can't say that I blame him.

Just as a giant F-U to Buffalo ownership, how long before he can re-enter the draft or sign as an FA somewhere else if he refuses to sign his ELC with Buffalo?

(I love you, Buffalo fans. I just hate that ownership group.)
I know Buffalo is a train-wreck and poorly managed.

But you can't say they haven't tried.

They have been willing to open their wallets for everyone and anyone who wants to play there. Skinner and Hall are two examples.

They were also willing to give Babcock a blank cheque to coach there.

Some ownership groups make much less of a monetary effort than the Pegulas.

Even the purge of talent in the earlier part of last decade was done with one thing in mind: Let's try to get McDavid. Which was smart. If I owned a team and was in Buffalo's shape, I would try to tank too if it improved my draft position and/or chances at getting a player like McDavid.

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
My god you people are insane. He is not trying to get the Sabres to not pick him by saying he is leaning toward going back to school. He already said if they picked him he would like the idea of his friends and family being able to come watch him play. He is going to want to be the #1 pick, every young hockey player dreams of that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People are forgetting Blake Wheeler went 5th overall and completely ducked out on signing with the Coyotes because he didn't want to play for them and they got no compensation beyond a token 2nd round selection. It's not "ridiculous" to think Power could do the same... and even if he doesn't, if he threatens to do so, he could use that leverage and forced Buffalo to take someone else so they don't risk completely wasting a first overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad