Post-Game Talk: Ovi's 700 Club vs Gilligan's Isles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm not particularly thrilled with how things are going but teams slump and they're in one. It's up to them to fix it because the talent level is there.

I continue to grow weary of the "Trotz would fix everything" camp for reasons I don't feel like rehashing. I do think he's a better coach than Rierden but the much bigger problem to me is the quality of the assistants. Cashman seems totally unqualified for his role and the results of the defense as a whole are so much worse than they should be given the talent they have. Forsythe has worn out his welcome. Arniel... not quite sure what his role is if Forsythe coaches the centers and the PP. They just seem very disorganized and they are playing with a lack of role clarity or cohesion.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Only good part about this game was Eller, who I think should play on the 1st line next game. He's earned it. How can anyone hate on this guy?

Well he's our second line center no matter what now if Kuzy misses significant time.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Not sure thing Trotz and Reirden did something excellent in the cup run. Maybe Caps just lucked into it finally. Easily could have been players getting their shit together suddenly especially because they werent that far before.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Not liking the trend. I hope they didn't pick early. Personally I wanted some adversity to prep for the playoffs, just don't like that it's coming that late in the season

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Also, let's stick with regular GDT titles, nothing personal but the "cute" or super hard to decipher aren't working. Simple works.

I know that we've kept Lloyd locked up and shut for "break glass in emergencies only" type situations. Is it getting close to that point?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Not sure thing Trotz and Reirden did something excellent in the cup run. Maybe Caps just lucked into it finally. Easily could have been players getting their **** together suddenly especially because they werent that far before.
No way. It was everyone doing good. Trotz made some great decisions and they played awesome when it mattered.

That cup run wasn’t luck. They beat Pitt handedly, Trotz made right moves cs CBJ, they played great in games 6 & 7 to shut out TB back to back to get to cup, and in Stanley Cup they were not to be stopped.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Exactly. BMac can trade for D help, but the coaching would still just continue being out coached by every teams coaching. This is very simple, you fire Reirden and his clown assistants and hired either Gallant or Laviolette!
I remember lots of people here wanted Lavi over Tortz. At this point I would be tempted to bring him in over Todd. And what if he can even fix Holtby

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No way. It was everyone doing good. Trotz made some great decisions and they played awesome when it mattered.

That cup run wasn’t luck. They beat Pitt handedly, Trotz made right moves cs CBJ, they played great in games 6 & 7 to shut out TB back to back to get to cup, and in Stanley Cup they were not to be stopped.

Can you tell me what right moves the first three games when they were a centimeter away from going down 0-3? Seemed to me that the players just played better and got a bit luckier.

Do people not remember talking about being thankful that there weren't any talentless veteran TDLs to play because it forced Trotz to play guys like Vrana and Djoos, which was something he refused to do his first three years here? This whole revisionist history thing is crazy town to me but whatever helps everyone sleep at night, I guess.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

They played great no doubt. But I do not think they played radically better than some other years past when they got incredibly unlucky. They played great in 2018 AND they got the bounces they didn’t get in the past. So few teams win a cup now without luck. Last team I can think of was that dominant Blackhawks team who were just so much better than every other team.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think some people are missing something here. I keep seeing people saying something along the lines that the Caps are too talented to be playing like this. The coaching is not good enough as we can see how bad the team defense is. When any team goes through a bad spell or slump, you have to get back to basics and work hard to get out of it. The coaching is not good enough to get this roster working real hard and playing good team defense.

The best case for the Caps is for BMac to fire Reirden and his clown assistants and hire Gallant or Laviolette.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I think some people are missing something here. I keep seeing people saying something along the lines that the Caps are too talented to be playing like this. The coaching is not good enough as we can see how bad the team defense is. When any team goes through a bad spell or slump, you have to get back to basics and work hard to get out of it. The coaching is not good enough to get this roster working real hard and playing good team defense.

The best case for the Caps is for BMac to fire Reirden and his clown assistants and hire Gallant or Laviolette.
That would cost Ted a lot more money. He wouldn’t pay Trotz his raise. Gallant and Laviolette would get similar money.

Reirdon is probably 20% of what the guys you mentioned cost. Stupid bc we’ve see over and over how rookie coaches don’t work - but Ted keeps hiring them.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Can you tell me what right moves the first three games when they were a centimeter away from going down 0-3? Seemed to me that the players just played better and got a bit luckier.

Do people not remember talking about being thankful that there weren't any talentless veteran TDLs to play because it forced Trotz to play guys like Vrana and Djoos, which was something he refused to do his first three years here? This whole revisionist history thing is crazy town to me but whatever helps everyone sleep at night, I guess.

he made a goalie change after the second game. It helped turn it all around. That was a move Trotz decided on.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
That would cost Ted a lot more money. He wouldn’t pay Trotz his raise. Gallant and Laviolette would get similar money.

Reirdon is probably 20% of what the guys you mentioned cost. Stupid bc we’ve see over and over how rookie coaches don’t work - but Ted keeps hiring them.
My guess is Reirden is making $1 m or even less. Ted was paying Trotz $1.5 million per season. The Isles are paying Trotz $4 million per season now. So Gallant/Laviolette could command as much as $5 million per season.

What's ridiculous is Ted pays the Wizards basketball coach $7 million per season and that NBA team plays like crap! The Caps have only had two good coaches, Brian Murray and Barry Trotz. I have seen enough from Reirden that he's just another in between failure coach like a young Bruce Cassidy. Ted never learns. I wish he would sell his ownership of the Caps to someone who would know that you need to pay for a good coach and not get lucky with a cheaply paid coach.

Last edited:

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
If we tap out in the first round again, or have some embarrassing second round meltdown, then Reirden should be on the chopping block. He’ll be judged by how this team performs in the postseason. Despite the recent struggles, we are (1) still tied for the second best record in the league and (2) 110% capable of turning it on and making another Cup run.

Reactions: Corby78 and Bananas

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
two embarrassing losses at home where we looked bad on defense. Not happy but I’m not panicking either. Way way too many odd man rushes and that’s telling me we are playing lazy. I have to think at some point somebody needs to get mad. I haven’t seen it yet from the locker room or coaches, but somebody needs to shake it up. It was said earlier you need to get basic and work and I agree.

Right now outside the ovie watch this team is not fun to watch

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If we tap out in the first round again, or have some embarrassing second round meltdown, then Reirden should be on the chopping block. He’ll be judged by how this team performs in the postseason. Despite the recent struggles, we are (1) still tied for the second best record in the league and (2) 110% capable of turning it on and making another Cup run.

That is such an excuse to say we are the 2nd best team overall. This team is about to be surpassed by at least a few teams(Pens and Bolts) in less than a week. And no, this team is not capable of making a playoff run with this terrible coaching staff. At the moment they are playing themselves out of a playoff spot if this keeps up. Their talent has carried them for most of the season, but now that teams are pushing hard to make the playoffs/maintain a playoff spot the talent to win games is not enough. Good coaching/hard work/team structure/team defense/goaltending/scoring goals are what a team needs going into the playoffs. All of those are missing except for scoring goals. This is game 56 out of 82, and these issues still haven't been hashed out. Flipping a switch with this coaching staff is not gonna work.

It's time for an experienced vet coach and that's the bottom line.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well at least it happens now and not in april

But the most important thing it's Kuzy's health now.

Do Caps play against isles again in this season? If yes, I hope willy kills Komarov with a nice hit

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad