Post-Game Talk: overtime loss seems like a theme here

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Dude, Sheahan played 17:25 tonight, no one on the Wings played 12:56 tonight so I'm not sure where you're getting your stats.

NHL.tv has game stats. Maybe they weren't updated. It has Athanasiou at 16 minutes, looks like he closed the game out at 19:06 according to ESPN.

Miller only had 7:44 and Jurco only had 10 minutes. Jurco was wayyyy more noticeable than Mantha who had nearly the same ice time.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Loser pointing our way to just miss the playoffs. Great! Just great! Blash is such an idiot.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
NHL.tv has game stats. Maybe they weren't updated. It has Athanasiou at 16 minutes, looks like he closed the game out at 19:06 according to ESPN.

Miller only had 7:44 and Jurco only had 10 minutes. Jurco was wayyyy more noticeable than Mantha who had nearly the same ice time.

Excellent, maybe if we play Jurco more than Mantha the rest of the way we'll definitely lock in that top 5 pick.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
When I hire my employees, I'll keep around the hard workers who bust their ass everyday. The guys who work when they want to work are the first to get fired.

Thats cool, but I would rather keep the guys that produce on the job. Effort is pointless if there are zero results to show from it.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Except Mantha ain't producing.

Yeah, he only has the third best ppg on our team. Close to second. Not every player is 100% consistent throughout the entire season, especially young players and goal scorers. At the end of the season Mantha will help us win more games, benching one of our most offensive players on a team that cant score doesnt help anyone.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
missed the first two periods, thought we played well in the third. Coreau looked shaky, not sure how he looked earlier.

Don't really favor cutting Mantha's ice time. Just sit him for a game, or work his rear off in practice. He's been one of our better players this year and I'm not sure I see cutting his ice time helping him or the team.

Whoever said Nyquist looks weak out there and kills possession...yep. If Z was five years younger then maybe that line would work, but Z isn't getting younger.

Props to Tatar, though. Guy is really picking it up.

When Sheahan leveled Millar it was a picture of what he could be. While he certainly doesn't deserve 17 minutes, I think he's also taking some unnecessary flak for his lack of production. He needs to play with more snarl, though.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
When I hire my employees, I'll keep around the hard workers who bust their ass everyday. The guys who work when they want to work are the first to get fired.
There's a term for NHL players whose best asset is how hard their work:

Waiver fodder.

Mantha at 50% does more to help the team win than Sheahan does at 100%.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This team can't even lose properly. Enough with the loser points!!
Wings aside, I've never really liked how the NHL awards a point for an OT/SO loss.

I wish they'd change it to 2 points for a regulation or overtime win, 1 point for a shootout win, and zero points for any type of loss. Stop rewarding the "hang in there" mentality, and provide an incentive for teams to push for the full reward during the actual hockey portion.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
would be nice to ice our best players in OT. But ****can had to get his minutes.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
3-9 in O.t this year.

You would think Blashill would learn from his previous mistakes. I guess not..

We're gonna miss the playoffs due to Blashill's inability to coach the team. This is a double whammy. Not only are we gonna miss the layoffs, but now we are missing out on a top pick due to overtime losses.

The second it went to O.T you just knew we would lose. O.T this year is just like the shootout in previous years. You already know how it will end.

Mantha not seeing the ice in O.T is beyond ridiculous. Need more Sheahan I guess. I hate this coach.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like the Mantha thing is as much about fabricating an excuse to send him back down as anything else

like a multi-step plan or something:

patiently wait for him not to produce for a couple games after killing it for a month
use that excuse to cut his ice time and change his linemates
he's playing with Miller and Glendening now so no need to worry about him producing anymore
send him down whenever you want

also explains the not using him in overtime thing,the last thing you want is him scoring the game winner and ruining your perfectly good plan

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I gave up on criticizing Blashill and searching for meaning within his line combos sometime last season. We've seen literally every combination of forwards and D pairings possible and guess what? It makes very little difference.

Sheahan, Abdelkader, Glendening, Helm, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Jurco, AA...it doesn't change much who gets 2 or 3 extra minutes. Vanek or Nielsen aren't really setting the world on fire either. If Mantha is such a "dominant beast" that some praise him as he should be killing it on the 4th line.

It was the same thing with Babcock the last years; defensive hockey hoping to win 1-0 or at least get a point in OT/SO.

Blashill (now) has 12 games before the deadline to do everything in his power to get the Wings close enough to believe PO's are possible. He truly trusts Sheahan, Glendening, Helm, etc. (based on past experience) to be the guys to prevent goals or hold a lead. That's why Miller still plays the PK. This is true especially in a grinding, monotonous game vs. a team like Boston. For as much as most posters at HF love their statistics, can you really blame him? What 29 other coaches wouldn't ride their trusted workhorses who've performed well enough in the past? Holland said it and coaches obviously share the same belief: veteran players build up stock that even in a depressed season make them their most dependable option.

I agree with what was said in the last PG thread: coach Q, Babcock, or Bowman wouldn't move the needle much for this team. You think they'd mine some hidden gold with a magical combination of Nielsen, Abdelkader, and Mantha? Or Vanek, Z, and Larkin? Yeah that's the ticket...

If we are far enough out in 3 weeks and it feels hopeless I would guess then Mantha, AA, and Larkin will be given free rein. I doubt we'd see a full on tank job but it would be fun. Bring up Lorito, Nosek, Svechnikov, the whole gang. Reward the Griffins players and get them excited while we go diving for a top 5 pick. :thumbu:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I feel like the Mantha thing is as much about fabricating an excuse to send him back down as anything else

like a multi-step plan or something:

patiently wait for him not to produce for a couple games after killing it for a month
use that excuse to cut his ice time and change his linemates
he's playing with Miller and Glendening now so no need to worry about him producing anymore
send him down whenever you want

also explains the not using him in overtime thing,the last thing you want is him scoring the game winner and ruining your perfectly good plan

They are. I'm pretty sure management is trying to brainwash our fan base so they think they're doing a good job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad