GDT: OVER THE LINE! - Devils @ Stars, 8:30 PM, MSG

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wow, I see my hot take on the Vatanen trade elicited a strong reaction. All I'll say before people pile on again is that when you trade a top 6, 2 way center who consistently puts up 25 goals (especially one as integral to the LR as Rico), plus a 3rd and a decent prospect, I would like to think you get more than a middle pairing defenseman who is seriously limited in his own zone. Dont get me wrong, I love the mobility and offensive game that he provides to our back end, but his defensive positioning, as well as his turnovers of late have been incredibly negative aspects of his game.

Imagine if Severson committed all those turnovers? The staff would have his head on a pike.

All that being said, that's just my 2 cents, and obviously people will disagree with that which is absolutely fine. What I've never understood is the attitude around here that if you ever question the norm of "Shero's a god" you're a fool.
Repeat after me

Henrique is not a two way center, Henrique is not a two way center, Henrique is not a two way center, Henrique is not a two way center, Henrique is not a two way center.

Say it 31 more times, I don't feel like typing it another 31 times.

Vatanen commits all these turnovers because of the kind of player that he is. Why doesn't Greene commit as many turnovers (obviously he had one very memorable turnover tonight) as Vatanen or Severson? Because he doesn't have the puck that much. Why doesn't Santini turn the puck over that much? Because he doesn't have it enough. Why doesn't Seth Helgeson turn over the puck that much? Because he rarely ever has it. Why does Erik Karlsson turn the puck over more than any of these guys combined? Because he's worse than them all at defense?

And last but not least, Henrique just snapped a 2 point in 10 game streak. Not unlike what we've regularly seen with him over here. Do you want Henrique at 5 years @ $5 million per? Maybe even more than that?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Just caught the highlights of the goals, what the hell was going through Greene's head on the first Dallas goal? Also, way to stand there and do nothing on the third goal Wood.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'm tired of the Cory questioning around here.

Our backup can't even stop 90% of the shots he's faced this year, he can't even stop more than 50% of the shootout shots he's faced this year or more than 0% of the shootout shots he faced last game.

And you're gonna complain about the ONLY goaltender on this god damn roster that's for the most part, given this ****in team a chance to win a god damn game this year? And I get crucified for calling out our SCRUB backup this year? And that's EXACTLY how he's played this year, like an ECHL SCRUB!

Let's see what happens if Cory is injured and we have to watch Kinkaid and Lacko Tacos play every night. You're gonna really think the other team has a better goalie almost every night, when you got a pair of cardboard cutouts that have struggled to stop 90% of the shots faced.

Why do you constantly mention kinkaid when defending Cory. No one thinks kinkaid is good. And using a bad backup in defense of Cory is a weak defense. Just like having his lunch taken tonight on that fourth goal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do not want to get into the Vatanen-Henrique debate. All I will say is that I’m a believer in Vatanen based on his pre-injury history and what he’s shown here this far. Anyone ****ing on him needs to chill the **** out.

It is also possible (and even okay) to criticize the player without criticizing the trade. Not every single bad game has to be a referendum on the trade - especially when the other player's not being critiqued every night anymore.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I do not want to get into the Vatanen-Henrique debate. All I will say is that I’m a believer in Vatanen based on his pre-injury history and what he’s shown here this far. Anyone ****ing on him needs to chill the **** out.
The trade was fine. ****ing on him after this performance is also fine. Arguably the worst performance by a Devil this season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why do you constantly mention kinkaid when defending Cory. No one thinks kinkaid is good. And using a bad backup in defense of Cory is a weak defense. Just like having his lunch taken tonight on that fourth goal
Why did you imply Bishop is more athletic and the better goaltender? Bishop's numbers in his career are inferior to Cory's, his numbers this year are inferior to Cory's and over the last two years? They're probably close. Cory was a bit worse last year, but has been a bit better this year.

And Bishop accumulated these numbers behind the Tampa Bay Lightning and the same LA Kings that made Budaj look like an average NHL starting goalie for 50+ games and not the terrible, washed up, non-NHL caliber goalie that he really is.

Not to mention that Bishop doesn't really have much athleticism. To go along with his 6 foot 7 stature, he also wears the biggest chest protector you'll see in the game. He looks even bigger than most of the other goalies his size because of it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I stil struggle mightily to fault Vatanen on the game winner.

Are we just supposed to send Greene and Santini out there and sit in our end for 30-45 seconds at a time down by one goal?

He's pressing so that we can try to tie the game. Butcher really did a poor job on that one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh yeah Hynes was pissed, I liked everything he had to say there.
With how mad he was, he really can't go into next game with this same lineup.

Sadly, Lovejoy probably has to pay for it, but I think he's been decent in the role that he properly belongs in.

Which is the role that Greene belongs in next.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
With how mad he was, he really can't go into next game with this same lineup.

Sadly, Lovejoy probably has to pay for it, but I think he's been decent in the role that he properly belongs in.

Which is the role that Greene belongs in next.

Who's going to sit to get Severson back in? I have a hard time shitting on Greene but woof, he's captain and all so that's out. Lovejoy has been good, pretty steady back there. Is he going to sit Sami, he's been pretty poor the last two, gift wrapping goals and a penalty machine. It's not going to be Moore or Santini either.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Who's going to sit to get Severson back in? I have a hard time ****ting on Greene but woof, he's captain and all so that's out. Lovejoy has been good, pretty steady back there. Is he going to sit Sami, he's been pretty poor the last two, gift wrapping goals and a penalty machine. It's not going to be Moore or Santini either.
It's going to be lovejoy even tho he doesnt warrant being taken out....

Reactions: JK3

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
We really, really miss Severson right now. Greene is a complete sheitshow every night and Vatanen was brutal tonight. It's a sad night when your best Dman is John Moore.
It’s unfortunate to even term it like that cause we’re technjcally not missing him, we’re just dealing with moronic coaching decisions

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Wow, I see my hot take on the Vatanen trade elicited a strong reaction. All I'll say before people pile on again is that when you trade a top 6, 2 way center who consistently puts up 25 goals (especially one as integral to the LR as Rico), plus a 3rd and a decent prospect, I would like to think you get more than a middle pairing defenseman who is seriously limited in his own zone. Dont get me wrong, I love the mobility and offensive game that he provides to our back end, but his defensive positioning, as well as his turnovers of late have been incredibly negative aspects of his game.

Imagine if Severson committed all those turnovers? The staff would have his head on a pike.

All that being said, that's just my 2 cents, and obviously people will disagree with that which is absolutely fine. What I've never understood is the attitude around here that if you ever question the norm of "Shero's a god" you're a fool.

I was going to highlight the 25 goal consistently part but it’s been done. I’ll leave with this though... no.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was going to highlight the 25 goal consistently part but it’s been done. I’ll leave with this though... no.
He’s on pace to score only 18 goals this year.

That’ll happen when you’re shooting 12% and not your career average of over 15% and you don’t even average 2 shots on goal per game.

He wouldn’t even score 15 goals in a year if he had a year of shooting only 8%, with the lack of shots he gets.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
lol he's officially only drawn 10 penalties this year when obviously he's drawn more but the refs just don't call it for him. it's been something since Edmonton he just doesn't get calls.
Wonder if early on he copped an attitude with the refs. Out of the four sports, they're the most vindictive bunch of officials. I'm sure that some of you were too young for Eat Another Donut with Doug Schoenfeld in 1988 playoffs, well after it all settle down, the zebras didn't forget, for the next few years were rough ones with them, and they really weren't pissed about what Schoenfeld did and said, what happen was he was suspended one game and Lou went to court and somehow got a judge to overturn so he could coach, in turn the refs boycotted the game and the NHL had to hire amateur refs from the area, it was a fiasco. One of the few times Lou over played his hand, should have just accepted the suspension.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad