GDT: OVER THE LINE! - Devils @ Stars, 8:30 PM, MSG

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
We've actually been pretty good against Dallas the last few seasons, we've went at least .500 in most of those years.

We won against them in OT last year in Dallas, that was the end of our hot start. I joked that we left Cory in Dallas and came back with Lehtonen, as that coincided with Cory's decline in play for the rest of the season, following that game. We lost at home though late in the season. Coleman got his first career goal and we lost in OT. I'm pretty sure we beat them in OT in 15-16 on a Moore OT goal. I think we lost in Dallas that year, as that was the game Cory got injured. I remember beating them in OT in Dallas in 13-14 and Cory having a 1-0 shutout at home against them that same year. I don't remember how we did against them in 14-15 though.

i think they got destroyed something like 7-1 like 8 years ago or so. or was that an ottawa game?

edit: it was ottawa and a bit longer ago….got confused i guess

New Jersey Devils at Ottawa Senators Box Score — October 21, 2006 | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
It's hard to argue Boyle shouldn't be on the PP when he has as more PP points than Hischier in 10 less games.
that's not really fair to hischier considering he plays PP2. But Boyle shouldn't be taken off the PP regardless, they should just do what they did today after Zajac got injured which is put Bratt on PP1.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is the type of lose they really pissed a coach off. Dumb mental mistakes, too many penalties.

It can piss him off but what's he gonna do about it? If Greene and Vat are gonna just get first pairing minutes again you're doing nothing to fix the problem other than maybe putting in Sevs for Lovejoy to get a little more offense.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
This is the type of lose they really pissed a coach off. Dumb mental mistakes, too many penalties.

It’s funny. If it comes down to a few points at the end of the season and they’re on the wrong side, I’m looking at this game way before the Sabres and Blues games. This is a far worse way to lose.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory has allowed 12 goals in his last 3 starts. Of those 12 goals, the only goal I think he should have stopped or had any chance on was the first goal in that stretch. The Jacob Josefson breakaway goal, that dribbled through his arm.

I don't think he had a chance on the other 11. Earlier in the season he let in quite a few bad goals, which might be evening out right now. This is the Kevin Rooney factor. This is exactly why you can't judge goalie play or advanced stats/any stats in single game or small sample sizes.

Cory might allow one goal next game and it might be a really ugly softy, but it might be the only goal he allows all game.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Wow, I see my hot take on the Vatanen trade elicited a strong reaction. All I'll say before people pile on again is that when you trade a top 6, 2 way center who consistently puts up 25 goals (especially one as integral to the LR as Rico), plus a 3rd and a decent prospect, I would like to think you get more than a middle pairing defenseman who is seriously limited in his own zone. Dont get me wrong, I love the mobility and offensive game that he provides to our back end, but his defensive positioning, as well as his turnovers of late have been incredibly negative aspects of his game.

Imagine if Severson committed all those turnovers? The staff would have his head on a pike.

All that being said, that's just my 2 cents, and obviously people will disagree with that which is absolutely fine. What I've never understood is the attitude around here that if you ever question the norm of "Shero's a god" you're a fool.

Henrique scored 25 twice, thats not "consistently"

Henrique is a middle six winger and Vatanen is a top 4 DMan

you make that trade every day of the week

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think one of the only goalies we make look as good or better than fat stack of pancakes Bishop is that little bloated stuffed mushroom looking, now washed up spirit of 2010 SCAB Halak.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly if you think benching Severson was wrong after he put up a stinker, it is hypocritical to want Vats benched for tonight.

Either you want to give all your players the benefit of the doubt to play through mistakes, or you don’t. Picking favorites is the same thing some accuse Hynes of doing.

Reactions: Blender

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
this team doesn't have enough depth to bench guys like Vatanen and Severson for long periods. it's not going to happen. it's not like these kind of games are what typically Vatanen brings and that's the same with Severson too. I really doubt that Hynes won't pick Damon back in for the Islanders game

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vatanen has a bad game (mostly just because of penalties, more so than his actual play) and he sucks.

Henrique just has one of his patented 2 point in 10 game streaks and we want him back.

You wanna give him a contract identical to Marchessault's? That's exactly what we want. 29-34 year old Henrique, regressing to a 9% shooting percentage and scoring 15 goals a year @ $5 million bucks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Greene was commenting about making too many mistakes and Gross said “specifically your backhand pass”.

Ouch...I know people are going to love that but the reporter shouldn't be putting himself into the story by inserting snarky. That's worse than TG's blog which had people up in arms about how the Devils were Mickey Mouse for the way they handled the lights out game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Henrique scored 25 twice, thats not "consistently"

Henrique is a middle six winger and Vatanen is a top 4 DMan

you make that trade every day of the week
He's only cracked 20 goals 3 times in 7 seasons. How anyone can call him a "consistent 25 goal scorer" is crazy.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Hynes waits until there are under 90 seconds to play before pulling Schneider when it's been proven that you're better off pulling sooner is. All this money on analytics guys and he doesn't give a ****.

One positive to take from this loss, Hynes doesn't coach the ASG and won't have that on his resume to save his ass when his contract negotiations come up.

This team could be a lot better if we didn't still try to teach our best players lessons while we allow our worst players to be captains and leaned on when they **** up left and right to the point of playing a huge part in a loss

he pulled goalies way earlier before early in his career and got shit on here for listening to analytics too closely or whatever. seems he'll piss one group off no matter what he does there

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Ouch...I know people are going to love that but the reporter shouldn't be putting himself into the story.

Yeah, Greene clearly wasn’t going to mention himself but he did own up to it. I hate ripping into the guy, but god damn was that a really awful mistake to make at that time.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I see my hot take on the Vatanen trade elicited a strong reaction. All I'll say before people pile on again is that when you trade a top 6, 2 way center who consistently puts up 25 goals (especially one as integral to the LR as Rico),

What Devils trade are you talking about, I thought you were talking about Adam Henrique?

HENRIQUE, ADAM
Henriqu.gif

j7Yzgb

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Cory has allowed 12 goals in his last 3 starts. Of those 12 goals, the only goal I think he should have stopped or had any chance on was the first goal in that stretch. The Jacob Josefson breakaway goal, that dribbled through his arm.

I don't think he had a chance on the other 11. Earlier in the season he let in quite a few bad goals, which might be evening out right now. This is the Kevin Rooney factor. This is exactly why you can't judge goalie play or advanced stats/any stats in single game or small sample sizes.

Cory might allow one goal next game and it might be a really ugly softy, but it might be the only goal he allows all game.

But but but... .886 SV% 4.10 GAA in the last 3. Goalie stats reign supreme!!!!
Is that what this forum has come to?!!?!? Is that what this forum has come to!!???!?!?!?! :naughty:

Just teasing Bleed. I agree, Cory wasn't to blame in these games.

Vatanan had a terrible giveaway the last game. I'm all fine for sitting him a game to get his head back too....

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
he pulled goalies way earlier before early in his career and got **** on here for listening to analytics too closely or whatever. seems he'll piss one group off no matter what he does there

They always get scored on when they pull the goalie early, the Roy pull never works for us.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I do not want to get into the Vatanen-Henrique debate. All I will say is that I’m a believer in Vatanen based on his pre-injury history and what he’s shown here this far. Anyone ****ing on him needs to chill the **** out.

Reactions: tr83 and Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But but but... .886 SV% 4.10 GAA.
Is that what this forum has come to?!!?!? Is that what this forum has come to!!???!?!?!?! :naughty:
3 game sample size vs a 10 or 11 game sample size for Kinkaid.

And regardless, don't even make me compared Kinkaid's body of work to Schneider's or you're gonna lose this one. Just quite while you're ahead here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad