Ovechkin vs Malkin: 2010/2011 - Present

Who has been the better player for the last 10 seasons?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't understand how this is the case.

Malkin's team didn't suffer in the playoffs due to Malkin's injuries. Is taking off games in the regular season due to nagging injuries really a negative if he played pretty much every playoff series he could outside of 2011.

Yea, this is one thing I think gets overblown too. The goal is to win the cup, and you're not going to win the cup without a team good enough to still make the playoffs even if your star player misses 20 games. So as long as he's healthy for the playoffs, what does it really matter?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well you could make the argument that he was lucky enough to have a great team around him that could stay competitive without him in the lineup. If the circumstances were different, he wouldn't have had those same opportunities.

I'm not sure what that has to do with Ovechkin being a better player than Malkin though.

The issue is we are faulting Malkin for not playing in the regular season when he had nagging injuries as being "not better". That doesn't really match up to me.

If we want to say Ovechkin was more important to his than Malkin because of Malkin's injuries. Sure, solid argument. But Malkin's skill as a player shouldn't be effected if he took off time in the regular season.

If he was consistently missing the playoffs, I'd get the argument given he wouldn't be able to demonstrate his worth in the highest level of play, but Malkin has pretty much played every series the Penguins have been in outside of one in 2010-2011 and has played the same amount of games.

Also, if we are going to fault Malkin for that. Shouldn't we put weight in Ovechkin being healthy in multiple seasons where his team missed the playoffs?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well you could make the argument that he was lucky enough to have a great team around him that could stay competitive without him in the lineup. If the circumstances were different, he wouldn't have had those same opportunities.

But if the team isn't good enough to survive some injuries it's not going anywhere in the playoffs anyway.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I guess. But, why is Malkin punished for taking time to heal up because his team was a contender and Ovechkin given props for playing 78 games in a season where his team missed the playoffs?

At the same time though you have to consider Malkin's per game numbers are affected by "taking time to heal up". I don't know if I would say they're inflated compared to what he's capable of because he often seems to have nagging injuries that linger when he's back, but if he played through them, it's likely his numbers per game would be worse. Ovechkin has some hand/wrist issues in both '11 and '17 that he played through and were likely the cause of his goal decrease those seasons.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
But if the team isn't good enough to survive some injuries it's not going anywhere in the playoffs anyway.
It's not like Malkin hasn't missed playoff games during this time period though. He missed the entirety of the 2011 playoffs. Could he not have made a difference for that team if he was healthy? I mean they were one game away from defeating a Lightning team that were one game away from the finals. He also missed game 6 against the Flyers in 2018 but luckily, Guentzel was there with his 4 goals to put Pittsburgh over the top. He also missed the first 2 games of the next series against the Capitals. Malkin is a great enough player where he could win a playoff game by himself and who knows, maybe if he plays game 2, the Penguins go up 2-0 and it's a different series.

That's where Ovechkin's value comes in and should be considered in a poll like this. Sure, Malkin is the better player per game but he's not always there. You know what you're getting from Ovechkin and he's not going to miss a meaningful amount of games.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
At the same time though you have to consider Malkin's per game numbers are affected by "taking time to heal up". I don't know if I would say they're inflated compared to what he's capable of because he often seems to have nagging injuries that linger when he's back, but if he played through them, it's likely his numbers per game would be worse. Ovechkin has some hand/wrist issues in both '11 and '17 that he played through and were likely the cause of his goal decrease those seasons.

Okay. Let's look at the equal sample they have in the playoffs. .86 to .95. .09 difference still relatively higher like the PPG difference of .17 in the regular season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's not like Malkin hasn't missed playoff games during this time period though. He missed the entirety of the 2011 playoffs. Could he not have made a difference for that team if he was healthy? I mean they were one game away from defeating a Lightning team that were one game away from the finals. He also missed game 6 against the Flyers in 2018 but luckily, Guentzel was there with his 4 goals to put Pittsburgh over the top. He also missed the first 2 games of the next series against the Capitals. Malkin is a great enough player where he could win a playoff game by himself and who knows, maybe if he plays game 2, the Penguins go up 2-0 and it's a different series.

That's where Ovechkin's value comes in and should be considered in a poll like this. Sure, Malkin is the better player per game but he's not always there. You know what you're getting from Ovechkin and he's not going to miss a meaningful amount of games.

I just see this as a way to deflect from the fact Malkin has the point advantage.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Malkin has more points in the playoffs in the same amount of games. Clearly you prefer one of the players to the others for NBC / Sportsnet rational.
It's not as black and white as just looking at who had the most points. If that was the case, there would be no need to discuss anything.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Malkin was the most talented player of his generation, but I've started to realize that he's had a worse career than Crosby and Ovechkin. Injuries, effort, consistency matters.

Reactions: wetcoast

Mar 26, 2010
Both OV and Malkin are world class, but give me OV.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
14/15. Much better than Malkin's 17/18.

Not in terms of level of play it isn't and that's what I was responding to in the post.

Malkin had his accomplishment playing almost 1.5 MPG less than Ovi and with less PP TOI as well.

Stats/60 don't really matter when comparing 1st line guys to 3rd line guys but when comparing elite players to elite players it does have significance and bring some context to the discussion.

But we are going to agree to disagree as the shine from Ovechkin's prime seems to never fade in some peoples minds.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
OV is the better player. Consistency, health and desire playing hard every game. Malkin is likely more talented, with better skills, except the shot. Consistency, injuries and sometimes desire are problems. You can't depend on him each game.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
When the point production is as stunningly in favor of one player it is, tbh.

Not to mention Malkin has the better cup run in 2017 despite Ovie having the Smythe.

Malkin: 25 GP, 10G+17A=28pts, 1.12 PPG, +9

OV: 24 GP, 15G+12A=27pts, 1.13 PPG, +8

OV was also near the top of the playoffs in hits. Before you say he had better linemates, Malkin got the cupcake matchups because of Crosby. OV's run was clearly better.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Not in terms of level of play it isn't and that's what I was responding to in the post.

Malkin had his accomplishment playing almost 1.5 MPG less than Ovi and with less PP TOI as well.

Stats/60 don't really matter when comparing 1st line guys to 3rd line guys but when comparing elite players to elite players it does have significance and bring some context to the discussion.

But we are going to agree to disagree as the shine from Ovechkin's prime seems to never fade in some peoples minds.

OV: 1st in goals (10 ahead of 2nd), 4th in pts (6 behind 1st), 2nd in hart

Malkin: 4th in goals (7 behind 1st), 4th in pts (10 behind 1st), 7th in hart

OV also with 250+ hits. You mentioned ice time but forgot to mention Malkin gets to face cupcake matchups because of Crosby. But either way, not sure what "level of play" you were watching but OV was clearly better.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Who do you think has been the better player for the past 10 seasons? Some quick info:

OvechkinMalkin
Goals 437 273
Assists 312 422
Points 749 695
GPG 0.58 0.46
PPG 0.99 1.16
Goal placement 1st 12th
Point placement 3rd 6th
GPG placement 1st 5th
PPG placement 10th 3rd
Top 5 in Points22
Top 5 in PPG 1 6
Top 10 in Points42
Top 10 in PPG 4 7
Top 5 in Goals82
Top 10 in Goals82
Hart Trophies11
Top 3 in Hart Trophy Race21
Top 5 in Hart Trophy Race 2 1
Top 10 in Hart Trophy Race 5 2
Art Ross Trophies01
Rocket Richard Trophies70
Conn Smythes10
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

so a whopping 0,17 PPG difference and 2 SCs including one where he was the best scorer and yet, Ovie is widely winning this poll?

Reactions: wetcoast

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
ES P/60

Malkin: 2.83
Ovechkin: 2.35

ES G/60

Ovechkin: 1.33
Malkin: 1.20

PP P/60

Malkin: 6.54
Ovechkin: 5.07

PP G/60

Ovechkin: 3.13
Malkin: 2.24

Ovechkin is the better goalscorer. Malkin has pretty clearly been the better player.

/thread

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Pens got both Makin and Crosby; if Ovi had another Crosby/Malkin on his team; Ovi would have killed this league

the small problem in your reasoning is that Malkin has never killed the league as much as when Crosby was injured.
Try again :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad