Ovechkin vs Malkin: 2010/2011 - Present

Who has been the better player for the last 10 seasons?

• Total voters

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hmm... I guess I will have to retract my initial statement then. I stand corrected!

I do get why people say it. It's counterintuitive to think that, but when Malkin is used and gets linemates and matchups like Crosby and OV, he produces more, not less than he does with easier matchups.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I do get why people say it. It's counterintuitive to think that, but when Malkin is used and gets linemates and matchups like Crosby and OV, he produces more, not less than he does with easier matchups.
That's because he doesn't actually get easy matchups like people think.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's because he doesn't actually get easy matchups like people think.

They're not 'easy', but they're easier when Crosby is healthy. But, the advantage from that is less than the disadvantage of decreased usage and less ideal linemates.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens got both Makin and Crosby; if Ovi had another Crosby/Malkin on his team; Ovi would have killed this league

Strictly speaking on the PP, I'm not sure Crosby/Malkin benefit from one another quite as much as some folks suggest.

One main reason is they both like to play that one spot on the PP. So when both are on the same PP, one guy has to kind of move out of his "sweet spot" to accommodate the other.

It's not quite the same as the typical Ovechkin/Backstrom or Hull/Oates dynamic where not only do their play styles compliment each other (goal scorer/playmaker), but also where they like to play also compliments one another.

If one of Crosby or Malkin was right handed and liked to play on the opposite side of the ice, I think they would have been near unstoppable on the PP. As it is, the Pens' PP can be really predictable because both guys are playing on one side and the other side isn't a threat.

Reactions: KIRK

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
One guy missed 176 games, the other missed 17 in 10 years (with some of them being a penalty for skipping an All-Star game).

I like Malkin better and I think he is the more impressive overall talent, but you can’t count on him to be out there.

He had the two best individual seasons between the two, 2011-2012 and 2017-2018, but in the other 8 seasons, he missed anywhere from
13-39 games. I just can’t vote for the player who is not available for his team to that degree.

The Penguins greatest strength has always been having Malkin and Crosby to roll with because they typically have bailed each other out.

Until this season, Crosby was remarkably healthy for 6 consecutive years...seasons where Malkin missed 22, 13, 25, 20, 14 and 4 games (and 14 again this season).

If the Pens did not have Crosby, and Malkin was missing all these games potentially leading to the Penguins not making the playoffs or being a really low seed, it’s obvious that Malkin would not be thought of as fondly during this stretch of time, rather than the wistful “if only he was healthy” Penguins motto.

Playing the games matters and as much grief as I give Ovechkin at times, it’s not like he has been a slouch during these 10 seasons.

Do you really think Ovechkin was better than Malkin this year?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Do you really think Ovechkin was better than Malkin this year?

No, I don't.

But he also missed what equates to 20% of the season. He's providing zero value to his team when he's not dressed to play.

He has missed significant time in 9 of his past 11 seasons (8 of 10 for this specific discussion). Personally, I like to see my star play a minimum 72 games on a consistent basis.

I can think Malkin is the better talent and player when he actually plays, yet still vote Ovechkin for the past 10 years overall. If he played even the same ballpark of games as Ovechkin in the past decade, the choice would be absurdly easy. The reality is he didn't and we're left with an elite talent who missed nearly a quarter of a season on average. He hasn't won a single trophy in the last 8 seasons. If he was putting up 90+ points in those 62 games or so games, it would be one thing.

Reactions: KIRK

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
OV: 1st in goals (10 ahead of 2nd), 4th in pts (6 behind 1st), 2nd in hart

Malkin: 4th in goals (7 behind 1st), 4th in pts (10 behind 1st), 7th in hart

OV also with 250+ hits. What is this fantasy "next level" Malkin was on? Malkin's season is clearly inferior to OV's 12/13 and 14/15.

Now do points per game.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Now do points per game.

Malkin finished higher in PPG ok congratulations. Doesn't make up for OV winning a double digit rocket, being closer to the ross and being a hart runner up vs Malkin not sniffing a nomination. Actual results, production and finishes > PPG.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin finished higher in PPG ok congratulations. Doesn't make up for OV winning a double digit rocket, being closer to the ross and being a hart runner up vs Malkin not sniffing a nomination. Actual results, production and finishes > PPG.

Malkin didn't win the Hart and Art Ross in 2012? Interesting . . .

EDIT: Sorry, you'll still doing 17-18 . . . comparing OV's best two seasons of the decade to Malkin's 2nd best. :laugh:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Better PPG over a 10 year span (while being better defensively) is a strong indicator of who the better player is.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Scoring was up in 17/18 so raw totals don't mean anything. OV won a rocket by double digits over prime Stamkos, Malkin was 4th in 17/18. And although both were 4th in pts, OV wasn't double digits away from 1st like Malkin was.

Was Ovechkin competing agaisnt Prime McDavid? Crosby missed some games that year too, Malkin and Kane were injured also.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Once again Malkin scored 74 points in 55 games which is 110 point pace. Ovechkin scored his usual sub ppg level 66 in 67. Ovechkin simply hasent been a 100 point player since 09-10 over 10 years ago. Malkin with 98 in 78 games and 74 in 55 is proof he is the better player.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
One guy missed 176 games, the other missed 17 in 10 years (with some of them being a penalty for skipping an All-Star game).

I like Malkin better and I think he is the more impressive overall talent, but you can’t count on him to be out there.

He had the two best individual seasons between the two, 2011-2012 and 2017-2018, but in the other 8 seasons, he missed anywhere from
13-39 games. I just can’t vote for the player who is not available for his team to that degree.

The Penguins greatest strength has always been having Malkin and Crosby to roll with because they typically have bailed each other out.

Until this season, Crosby was remarkably healthy for 6 consecutive years...seasons where Malkin missed 22, 13, 25, 20, 14 and 4 games (and 14 again this season).

If the Pens did not have Crosby, and Malkin was missing all these games potentially leading to the Penguins not making the playoffs or being a really low seed, it’s obvious that Malkin would not be thought of as fondly during this stretch of time, rather than the wistful “if only he was healthy” Penguins motto.

Playing the games matters and as much grief as I give Ovechkin at times, it’s not like he has been a slouch during these 10 seasons.

this logic always amazes me. Read the OP. You’re asked who the better player was and you start to talk about who played more games... that’s not the question. The question is not “who contributed more” but “who was the better player”, comprende? Doesn’t matter if Malkin played 10 games a year the answer would be “we don’t know cause sample size is too small” - the number of games are still irrelevant to the actual question. People on these boards...

Reactions: Cape and sanscosm

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
this logic always amazes me. Read the OP. You’re asked who the better player was and you start to talk about who played more games... that’s not the question. The question is not “who contributed more” but “who was the better player”, comprende? Doesn’t matter if Malkin played 10 games a year the answer would be “we don’t know cause sample size is too small” - the number of games are still irrelevant to the actual question. People on these boards...

Actually it does matter. Just because you don't value a sizable difference in games played and you appear to be a fan of the usual Pens player what if nonsense doesn't make your interpretation of the question the only correct one.

Malkin isn't Lemieux missing 20+ games, easily surpassing 100 points and winning scoring titles. If he was, I'd answer Malkin over Ovechkin in this particular circumstance. Unless you're contributing significant legendary value to make up for routinely missing time (like Lemieux), you have zero value when you're out. The player who is actually playing is the better player.

If your socks are knocked off for Malkin putting up seasons of 37 points in 43 games, 33 points in 31 games, 70 in 69, 58 in 57, 72 in 68, yet similar healthy seasons with more goals from Ovechkin doesn't do it for you, more power to you.

Your 10 games of Malkin comment makes you the dummy actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad